Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

A successful man doesn't have a fling. A successful man doesn't leave his team in the middle of the night. A successful man does not lie to his employer. A successful man shouldn't consider taking someone's job who helped him. Because this happens everywhere in the world does not make it okay to happen at Auburn University.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 70 pages of discussion on a guy I don't want within 100 miles of Auburn. Forget all the crap about his affair. That's something the Petrino supporters want to harp on for some reason. There are many other good reasons. His record isn't all that great against better teams, he wouldn't know a good defense if it hit him in the face (and defense, not offense, wins in the SEC)and lastly he is a backstabber and a liar.

I would much prefer we at least tried to Lure someone like Kansas St. coach Walker. He had a great program that went downhill when he retired. Now he is back and they have a shot at the BCS title game.

Wow, 70 pages of discussion on a guy I don't want within 100 miles of Auburn. Forget all the crap about his affair. That's something the Petrino supporters want to harp on for some reason. There are many other good reasons. His record isn't all that great against better teams, he wouldn't know a good defense if it hit him in the face (and defense, not offense, wins in the SEC)and lastly he is a backstabber and a liar.

I would much prefer we at least tried to Lure someone like Kansas St. coach Walker. He had a great program that went downhill when he retired. Now he is back and they have a shot at the BCS title game.

And the most uninformed, naive, and ignorant post of the year goes to this guy.....

Well, had you read at least some of the 70 pages you would have seen that these assumptions about him aren't entirely true. For instance, while he is 0-4 vs Alabama, most other teams are as well. Only Spurrier (once), Miles (twice) and Chizik (once) have beaten Bama the last 3+ seasons. And Petrino arrived at Arkansas just as Alabama was going on their run, not Nicky's first season. And his record against the other good teams in the league was actually pretty good. 3-1 vs Auburn, 2-2 vs LSU, 1-1 vs Georgia, 2-0 vs South Carolina.

Second, the defenses for his teams have improved every year he's been at a place. At Louisville they went from abysmal to the 17th ranked scoring defense his final year (16.3 points per game). At Arkansas, same story...from terrible to respectable, ranking 30th in scoring defense in 2011 (22 ppg) and only gave up 30 or more points three times that year, two of them to the two BCS title game participants. And all that without the benefit of a well-proven defensive coordinator or top talent on that side of the ball.

As far as backstabber? I don't know that his leaving at Louisville or Atlanta exactly put him in some rare class when it comes to coaching. Tubs was telling the Rebs one day he would only leave Oxford in a pine box and the next was heading for Auburn. He routinely entertained overtures from other programs while at Auburn. Chizik gave his AD the indication he was staying then bolted for Auburn. Just like most employees sometimes interview for other jobs and don't tell their bosses, coaches do the same thing sometimes. He could have handled the interpersonal aspects better but the act of looking for a better job while acting like you're "all in" where you are in and of itself isn't an issue.

Liar? Well yeah. And an adulterer. No one disputes that he's done these things. The issue is not what he's done but where he is on those respects now.

And Bill Synder is not leaving Kansas State this late in life. He will retire there.

And the most uninformed, naive, and ignorant post of the year goes to this guy.....

Wait just a dadgum minute....have you not read any of my posts?

P.S. The Kansas State's coach is Bill Snyder, he is around 70 years old, and he built Kansas State, heck the stadium is named after him. Again, you proved my earlier comment about having the most ridiculous post of the year...

BP will not be hc at auburn....its very disturbing how so many are supporting him....but then again judging by posts its not surprising

Oh, and Bill Snyder is LITERALLY 105 years old...too old to start over at AU. His SS# is 000-00-0002. His birth certificate is written in hieroglyphics. He waited table at the last supper.

BP will not be hc at auburn....its very disturbing how so many are supporting him....but then again judging by posts its not surprising

How is it disturbing? If Auburn interviews Petrino, does their homework, and sees that he has changed, why not hire him? He is the best AVAILABLE coach out there, and would have Auburn back at relevancy immediately. Your ideas coincide with how administration thinks, and we'll get some "project coach" again, and fall further behind. I'm sorry, I want Auburn to win, and win consistently, and be feared by opponents. None of the other coaches people have mentioned would cause fear in our opponents. Auburn hires Petrino, I bet you everything that the opponents will be scared of Auburn again...

How is it disturbing? If Auburn interviews Petrino, does their homework, and sees that he has changed, why not hire him? He is the best AVAILABLE coach out there, and would have Auburn back at relevancy immediately. Your ideas coincide with how administration thinks, and we'll get some "project coach" again, and fall further behind. I'm sorry, I want Auburn to win, and win consistently, and be feared by opponents. None of the other coaches people have mentioned would cause fear in our opponents. Auburn hires Petrino, I bet you everything that the opponents will be scared of Auburn again...

Because some people have a whitewashed view of Auburn history and have the mistaken impression that everyone since Donahue and Heisman have been as pure as the wind-driven snow and check every box on the Creed.

Because some people have a whitewashed view of Auburn history and have the mistaken impression that everyone since Donahue and Heisman have been as pure as the wind-driven snow and check every box on the Creed.

+1

It's not just the creed its about having morals and just doing right get a grip

Doing right ain't got no end- Captain "red legs" Terrill.

Your post just reminded of the movie Oulaw Josey Wales.

You can disagree but I did not see anything ignorant about his post, BP teams are not known for defense, and he has had problems with the top teams in the West (and we are not talking about other teams, we are talking bout his Arky team) defense does win championships in SEC (less AU in 2010 but they had strong run defense) he is a known liar, and cheat. Even though he got the coach name wrong, I would at least call Snyder regardless of age to gauge his interest or input (even though I doubt he would leave Manhattan) ...he did have them competitive pre retirement, came back and they are bludgeoning opponents this year..i..why call his post ignorant, some may consider your willingness to consider hiring a good coach, who is know repeat liar, cheat, as ignorant. Lighten up some of us just have different opinions on BP.

You can disagree but I did not see anything ignorant about his post, BP teams are not known for defense, and he has had problems with the top teams in the West (and we are not talking about other teams, we are talking bout his Arky team) defense does win championships in SEC (less AU in 2010 but they had strong run defense) he is a known liar, and cheat. Even though he got the coach name wrong, I would at least call Snyder regardless of age to gauge his interest or input (even though I doubt he would leave Manhattan) ...he did have them competitive pre retirement, came back and they are bludgeoning opponents this year..i..why call his post ignorant, some may consider your willingness to consider hiring a good coach, who is know repeat liar, cheat, as ignorant. Lighten up some of us just have different opinions on BP.

You are flat out wrong! He had problems with Alabama, just like the rest of the nation. He had the same record against LSU as Saban has in his last 4 against LSU. He has a winning record against all other SECW teams he has faced.

You cannot look at his record without your BP prejudice getting the best of you.

I can't sit here and read your factually incorrect statements. If I get a warning, then so be it.

Here's the thing: Were we hiring for a professional coaching position, Petrino would be under consideration. However, the Auburn University football team is but a small portion of the entity that is "Auburn."

Hire a guy with Petrino's baggage and the University Senate will be up in arms. There would be repercussions throughout the whole academic faculty. Such a decision would have negative effects that go far, far beyond winning one more game a year than some other guy might win.

If any of you have ever been on staff at Auburn (I was for seven years following graduation), you'll understand what I mean. Winner or not, whether we can find another guy that would win as many games as Petrino or not, Coach B. P. is not employable at Auburn or any other mainstream university.

Here's the thing: Were we hiring for a professional coaching position, Petrino would be under consideration. However, the Auburn University football team is but a small portion of the entity that is "Auburn."

Hire a guy with Petrino's baggage and the University Senate will be up in arms. There would be repercussions throughout the whole academic faculty. Such a decision would have negative effects that go far, far beyond winning one more game a year than some other guy might win.

If any of you have ever been on staff at Auburn (I was for seven years following graduation), you'll understand what I mean. Winner or not, whether we can find another guy that would win as many games as Petrino or not, Coach B. P. is not employable at Auburn or any other mainstream university.

I think you're wrong. He might not end up at Auburn, but he isn't destined for Slippery Rock U. either. And I could totally see, if we passed on him, a school like Tennessee grabbing him, or even FSU if we poached Jimbo Fisher from them. Kentucky would be another good possibility.

I think you're wrong. He might not end up at Auburn, but he isn't destined for Slippery Rock U. either. And I could totally see, if we passed on him, a school like Tennessee grabbing him, or even FSU if we poached Jimbo Fisher from them. Kentucky would be another good possibility.

Someone is going to hire him, and that someone will MOST LIKELY be in the SEC. This means that if we choose to pass on him, we better get someone who is capable of going up against Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Muschamp, Sumlin AND Petrino!! I just don't know that many coaches out there capable of this. Jimbo might be, but he hasn't proven it yet. Same for Gus. The other names that I like (Strong, Patterson) have never had to coach against this type of talent, day in and day out. Petrino has, and he has beaten most of it, other than Saban (and no one has a great record against him). At least at Auburn, Petrino would have the same level of talent, resources and facilities to compete with the ELITE programs. I think Petrino, on a level playing field, could be the one to finally push Saban to test the NFL waters again (just my opinion).

You are flat out wrong! He had problems with Alabama, just like the rest of the nation. He had the same record against LSU as Saban has in his last 4 against LSU. He has a winning record against all other SECW teams he has faced.

You cannot look at his record without your BP prejudice getting the best of you.

I can't sit here and read your factually incorrect statements. If I get a warning, then so be it.

The west is really LSU, AU, Updyke U, but for the giggles lets add the Mississippi schools ....he has not won an SEC west title..... I just think this is a matter of concern, you don't I can see why you feel that way....if I was interviewing him I would want to know what his plan was to not only win the west but dominate it. I for one am not going to assume he will do better because AU supposedly has better talent or will recruit better.....I have no interest in other schools that have not beaten Bama or have beat them, unless there coach is on AU radar.....

BP will be coaching at a BCS school sooner than later....I can see UK taking a shot at him, they are so blinded by basketball they may not even know he was hired.

The west is really LSU, AU, Updyke U, but for the giggles lets add the Mississippi schools ....he has not won an SEC west title..... I just think this is a matter of concern, you don't I can see why you feel that way....if I was interviewing him I would want to know what his plan was to not only win the west but dominate it. I for one am not going to assume he will do better because AU supposedly has better talent or will recruit better.....I have no interest in other schools that have not beaten Bama or have beat them, unless there coach is on AU radar.....

Alabama didn't win the SEC West last year, yet won the national title. Seems rather harsh. Not to get too political, but it parallel's someone not approving of Obama because the unemployment rate is not less than 2%.

Lets see....who won the west during those years? LSU, UAt, Auburn, LSU. Happens that they each won the SEC Championship and the National Championship each of those seasons( UAt won last year). In his first year(2008) he went 5-7 with a bif win over LSU in the final game. in his second season(2009) he went 8-5 with losses to GA UAt LSU FLA and Ole Miss. His third season (2010) he went 10-3 with losses to UAt (24-20) and Auburn (65-43) and OSU in the bowl game(31-26). His fourth season (2011) he went 11-2 with losses to UAt (38-14)and LSU (41-17). As you see it is not like he did not have stiff competition just to win the west. Look at Arkansas this year with virtually the same team+ Nile Davis? the RB, they were expected to be a contender again this season, hence the top ten ranking, but how did that turn out without CBP?. He did it with less than stellar talent for the most part and developed them into a very, very good TEAM that no one wanted to play. You do not accomplish that at two different schools unless you know what you are doing PERIOD! Imagine what he would do with the stock pile at Auburn, to be able to develop our players to meet their potential. As Ocho Cinco would say....Child Boo! Get this man in here and let him do what he does....turn losing programs into winners

Proven winner and the best man for the job at this point. I say get him locked in today and do the formal deal the day after the Iron Bowl. I know some people may object based on the character issues, but most of us have made stupid mistakes, especially when it comes to women. I am certainly not in a position to "cast the first stone." So I say hire him!

It wasn't just a "mistake" or error in judgement. It was and is, IMHO, a character flaw. He cannot be honest or not be a snake. It's in his DNA.

Archived