Petrino Discussions

TitanTiger

How could this guy ever look the parents of a recruit in the eye and tell them that "your son will become an educated and well-rounded man if you send him to play for me"? What parent in their right mind would send their son to play for this low-life?

Just my opinion, but we have more than our share of thugs running around campus as it is...

Coach to recruit: I can put you in the position to win games and get to the NFL

Recruit: Alright coach, sign me up

Parents: My boy is gonna reach his dreams and aspirations of playing in the league

Gene tells them he is going to turn them into good young men. The people that compete for championships on the regular say "We are going to compete for championships yearly and put all the players we can into the league where they will make millions"

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Outside of Charile strong, the anti-Petrino crowd isn't really giving any good, realistic options. I see a bunch of "There are plenty of winners out there who have higher morals.", yet they offer no examples. The people who do offer up examples just give a bunch of names of coaches that like where they're at, and wouldn't come to Auburn anyway, (Petterson, Fisher, etc), and one person was so desperate for examples that he even mentioned Dan Mullen for some reason.

Petrino isn't the perfect option, but the fact that there really aren't many proven winner options available out there, and the few that are could very possibility be picked up by other teams like Arky, Tenn, or Kentucky, consider how Auburn will likely take its sweet time with whatever it does.

Lets face it. We either grab Petrino, or we're likely regulated to muddling through mid-tier schools trying to find the hidden, diamond-in-the-rough coach. That's how we got intro this situation to begin with.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.

Does any of this sound familiar?

For those who are Auburn "fans" not "family".....these three lines come directly from the Auburn Creed. There is more to life than football. If you don't get that then no one can help you understand. I hope everyone takes this in the spirit in which it was written but CBP is not an Auburn man, never was and never will be, whether they hire him or not.

And before we replace the coaches on staff lets start at the top with Jay Jacobs and Tim Jackson and work our way down. The last thing this Athletic Department needs is for these two to pick our next head coach in ANY sport. Look at the track record since Jay has taken over. Not only are the "money sports" suffering but the "Olympic sports" are have steadily declined since his taking over from the previous administration.

If you believe Phillip Marshall and consider him a reliable Auburn source, then this whole debate is pointless because he has flat said the PTB will not hire Petrino. I tend to think thats correct. Regardless of whether I think he would win big(and I do) I just don't think they will make that hire.

I will say this about Phillip Marshall. I know for a fact that since Tuberville left, he has lost almost all of his "sources". I like him as a journalist, however, I do not trust his "inside information" anymore. I will also say this. If Petrino is not even considered or given an interview by Auburn, then I will be very upset. He is the only realistic head coach that Auburn can get and win immediately.....

Phillip's insider sources are much more limited than they once were. And he's also much more conservative when it comes to predicting or reading the tea leaves.

I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.

I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.

For those who are Auburn "fans" not "family".....these three lines come directly from the Auburn Creed. There is more to life than football. If you don't get that then no one can help you understand. I hope everyone takes this in the spirit in which it was written but CBP is not an Auburn man, never was and never will be, whether they hire him or not.

And before we replace the coaches on staff lets start at the top with Jay Jacobs and Tim Jackson and work our way down. The last thing this Athletic Department needs is for these two to pick our next head coach in ANY sport. Look at the track record since Jay has taken over. Not only are the "money sports" suffering but the "Olympic sports" are have steadily declined since his taking over from the previous administration.

Then we need to remove Pat Dye's name from the field and David Housel's from the press box. While we're at it, remove all banners from Auburn Arena that have Barkley's name on them and forfeit any SEC titles we won while Eric Ramsey was playing for us.

I don't care if the coach is an Auburn man or not. He isn't the one attending the university. His sole responsibilities are to make sure players stay eligible and win games.

So, all of you who are so opposed to Petrino, who would you like to see named as the new HC at Auburn? The one name I've seen mentioned the most is Gus Malzahn. That's a legitimate discussion for sure. I've seen the name Jim Leavitt posted, but as the poster right above this one stated, didn't he have issues at USF? Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Jeff Fisher? Gruden's pulling down 4 million just to sit on his backside and talk football---do you really think he'd want to get back into coaching? What would it cost to get him to AU? To me, Cowher and Fisher are NFL men. Fisher is in his first year at St. Louis, and I imagine he has some type of buy-out in his contract. Can AU afford to pay the buy-out for this staff and Fisher's? Peterson is not going to leave Boise because of the health issues of his child. Patterson---maybe. Does Petrino have baggage---yes he does. Is he an outstanding coach---yes he is. We can be righteous and declare that someone with his morals is NOT going to be the AU coach, but I can almost assure you of this: someone will. Bobby Petrino will be coaching somewhere and he will be successful. He's never had any issues with the NCAA at Louisville or Arkansas. I understand he might be quite an SOB, but maybe that's what AU needs and not a choir director. These kids that play at whatever school they choose, have visions of the NFL dancing in their heads. Whether some are pipe-dreaming or not remains to be seen. Why does Saban get so many top-ranked classes? Because he tells them that if they do what he says, they just might make it to the NFL, and that's what these kids and their parents want.

Hey man, we are talking football wins....not that idealistic crap from the Auburn Creed. Get real !

I was initially in favor of hiring BP, but for reasons that have been posted too many times to count, I have changed my mind. I do not care about what the media might say if AU hires BP, but I do care what my fellow alumni (and non-alumni fans) think. There are just too many of those folks who would be upset over his hiring and, IMO, that would not be good for AU. We have a disastrous situation on our hands right now and we need a new HC who will 1) win 2) bring us together and 3) put an end to the terrible off the field stuff that has gone on under the current regime.

I will also add that AU should follow Jeremy Foley's example of when he fired Zook in mid-season and make the move with GC today. We need the healing to start now!

I don't care if the coach is an Auburn man or not. He isn't the one attending the university. His sole responsibilities are to make sure players stay eligible and win games.

and that is a quality of being an Auburn man. not connections to the University, which is something some folks can't separate. You don't have to be a graduate of Auburn University to be an Auburn man. It's in the man's character, in his heart, in his family life and everything he does that makes him that.......

Hey man, we are talking football wins....not that idealistic crap from the Auburn Creed. Get real !

I hope the bold print is for sacasm

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to come along and throw out the creed.

How's Ol' Gene faring with the creed? Players arrested. Players suspended. Rampant drug abuse by players. Players making drunken fools of themselves.

My take: he's the best x's and o's guy out there that is available. And he's shown he can compete in the SEC even with lesser known recruits vs the big boys.

The only reason you wouldn't take him, IMO, is if in interviews and talking with his wife and others who know him and how he's conducted himself since the big debacle, you don't get the impression that he's really ready to get back in the game or hasn't properly dealt with his sins and mistakes...meaning, being humble, taking full responsibility, making changes in his life to be more accountable, is truly repentant.

I've heard from one guy who knows him that says that he is truly repentant. It's not an act and he's been working hard with his wife to repair their marriage. If we can talk with more people who feel the same way and can get him to agree to provisions in the contract regarding checks and balances, accountability and various protections for Auburn, I think there's no way you pass on him.

AU better do some "checks 'n balances" on Petrino during the interview process. 'Cause those multiple text messages and pics that BP exchanged with more than one female that wasn't his wife, on the "company" phone are going to be hard to hide. Of that whole sorrid affair at Arky, only bits and pieces were leaked to the public. There are more skeletons in his closet that are just waiting to see the light of day.

All I'll say is, BE CAREFUL AU - be very, very careful when playing with Petrino's "fire" - we may get burned badly.

If you believe Phillip Marshall and consider him a reliable Auburn source, then this whole debate is pointless because he has flat said the PTB will not hire Petrino. I tend to think thats correct. Regardless of whether I think he would win big(and I do) I just don't think they will make that hire.

I will say this about Phillip Marshall. I know for a fact that since Tuberville left, he has lost almost all of his "sources". I like him as a journalist, however, I do not trust his "inside information" anymore. I will also say this. If Petrino is not even considered or given an interview by Auburn, then I will be very upset. He is the only realistic head coach that Auburn can get and win immediately.....

Phillip's insider sources are much more limited than they once were. And he's also much more conservative when it comes to predicting or reading the tea leaves.

I take what PM says with a grain of salt. I've heard the same, less sources available on the inside. I don't expect PM to be breaking any news first.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to come along and throw out the creed.

How's Ol' Gene faring with the creed? Players arrested. Players suspended. Rampant drug abuse by players. Players making drunken fools of themselves.

The coaches aren't babysitters. They are with these kids as much as possbile but these are young men who make their own choices and decisions daily about who they are and what they will become. The coaches have very little control over that but can only set the example of how a man should live his life. If you can't see the difference between Gene Chizik and Bobby Petrino in the way they live then you are blind or choose to look the other way. BTW, for the who aren't sure, I think it's time for Gene and the ENTIRE staff to go and start fresh but I don't think it's time to ruin the integrity of the entire University in front of the nation over hiring a good football coach, that's all.

Gene also lied about his intentions and interests with AU while still coaching at ISU.

As one who is more against BP than for him I am not completely closed to the idea either. Alot of folks have made valid points on here about how he can still recruit if he is winning and putting kids in the NFL and have made me think. So, if Im playing devil's advocate I can see one other intangible thing Petrino might bring to the table. He couldn't beat Saban while at Arky, you know that burns him up inside. Give him Auburn's resources and some time and I would bet he will make it his mission in life to take down bama. I think he would win quickly and turn things around quickly. I can see both sides, it just gives me a bad feeling thinking about him being the coach at Auburn. If that turns out to be the guy though, so be it. I will cheer him on regardless.

The thought of a proven criminal leading our football program doesn't make you want to throw up?

What proven criminal? Petrino has no criminal record. He lied to an employer which is not against the law. Hiring of a mistress is not a criminal offense.

1-7 makes me want to throw up. losing 63-21 at home makes me want to throw up. losing by 3 TDs to ole piss makes me want to throw up. losing by 3 scores ti MSU makes me want to throw up.

Petrino is the best coach out there that would be willing to just up and move to AU. May be some fans can not see that from being so far up on their moral high horse.

What BP did was break federal EEOC rules concerning hiring. Favoring one candidate over another based on current or future sexual relationships. He won't go to jail, but that and lying about it got him fired. The university will probably get fined and sued by all those candidates not selected for the job she took at Arky. If He just had a motorcycle wreck and they found he was with some woman working at the university, He'd still be coaching at Arky.

Gene also lied about his intentions and interests with AU while still coaching at ISU.

I don't know that for sure and neither do you but my recollection was ISU was thrilled when he took the AU job because they were considering removing him from the job there due to his record, but that was a while back and i could be wrong.

I seem to remember Tubs saying something about leaving Ol' Miss in a pine box...shortly before taking the AU job. Coaches lie.

I don't know that for sure and neither do you but my recollection was ISU was thrilled when he took the AU job because they were considering removing him from the job there due to his record, but that was a while back and i could be wrong.

Just because you are ignorant of the facts dont assume that I am as well. Genes comments to this effect are a matter of public record. Google is your friend.

I am not actually hiring him at all, but if I were the AD, I am not really worried about his personal character. I am worried about whether or not he wins games. I'm not hiring him to be a nice person, I am paying him to win games, and not get into trouble with the NCAA.

Archived