The word on the Search

ellitor

Why would you not make a big time coach turn you down before sinking to this level.

What makes you think this hasn't already happened? Because it hasn't been reported in the press?

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you absolutely sure Petrino has not already interviewed? Maybe it was guys like Smart, Gus, and Morris that got interviews after their seasons were over. Petrino has been available for about 7 months now. The question is, does AU want someone with a PROVEN HC record, or all one has to be is to have been a head coach? With all the reports of the mess this team has become, I just don't think Gus is the one to go in and change that around. I think AU needs someone who's going to crack the whip, and to me, that person is Bob Petrino. In fact, I think Smart would be better able to do that than Gus would. I'm very grateful to Gus for the 2010 championship and I do believe he was the real reason behind it, but I think AU needs an iron fist right now, and I just don't believe Gus is that man.

Why would you not make a big time coach turn you down before sinking to this level.

What makes you think this hasn't already happened? Because it hasn't been reported in the press?

^^this^^

+1

would be embarrassing to be ARK right now and have a long list of turn-downs out there. we are not arkansas.

If the best we can do are three unproven guys that is a sad commentary on our football program. If these are the choices, I like Smart the best.

I don't want Gus because he was part of the Chiz regime and I just don't think he is as prepared for this level as is Kirby. I like Kirby Smart's intensity, passion, and intelligence. Of the three, my opinion is he is the best.

Hopefully we are saving Petrino or Paterson for last so that they can evaluate the others against a proven head coach. If we don't interview Petrino or Paterson, then we are not as elite as we think we are. Choosing between a 1 yr head coach, an OC and a DC does not shout that we are serious about winning soon.

^^this^^

Because the "trusted/insiders" here usually report pretty good info. Haven't seen where Patterson and others have interviewed but it may be on the down low. I'd still rather know that other big time coaches had turned us down before bringing in one of these guys. Smart is the only one from that list that I believe has the potential to be the kind of coach AUburn needs.

+1

would be embarrassing to be ARK right now and have a long list of turn-downs out there. we are not arkansas.

Arkansas is getting after it at least. We seem to be settling instead of going hard after big time coaches.

What a fricking embarrassment. A historically top 15-10 team is wallowing in this mud. Why would you not make a big time coach turn you down before sinking to this level. I feel like our fan base is Charlie Brown and our leadership is Lucy.

What makes you think it hasn't happened? Because you haven't seen it "leaked" on here? No offense to some here, but the truth is none of us have any clue who all they have talked to until the details are reported by the actual Athletic Department, and even then, who knows...

So, Gus, Smart, Morris? This is almost embarrassing. Seems to be going the inexpensive route rather than top quality coaches.

What top quality coaches are we ignoring? ...and how do you know? And how do you know this is the "short list" ?

I see this crap all the time but when it comes down to it..."top quality coaches" usually stay where they are. It's rare for a top coach to leave a good job, even for money, unless he is in some kind of trouble that the general public is not aware of. It really frosts me to see supposed AU fans ragging our AD and administration.

What a fricking embarrassment. A historically top 15-10 team is wallowing in this mud. Why would you not make a big time coach turn you down before sinking to this level. I feel like our fan base is Charlie Brown and our leadership is Lucy.

What makes you think it hasn't happened? Because you haven't seen it "leaked" on here?

Yes

Because the "trusted/insiders" here usually report pretty good info.

I hope you dont seriously believe that Ellitor and company are "insiders" and know who has or hasn't been contacted.

Ellitor is crafty. Crafty enough to tell us which conversations went well but not to reveal "other" conversations.

I'm not drawing more out of it than this, but his post does not rule out conversations with very prominent coaches.

Edit: I'm not saying his info is correct. But he only posts what he knows he can share.

It could have happened...how do you know other coaches declined interviews?

Ellitor is crafty. Crafty enough to tell us which conversations went well but not to reveal "other" conversations.

I'm not drawing more out of it than this, but his post does not rule out conversations with very prominent coaches.

I believe ellitor is a member of 247 and that is where a lot of this comes from... PM, etc...

Because the "trusted/insiders" here usually report pretty good info.

I hope you dont seriously believe that Ellitor and company are "insiders" and know who has or hasn't been contacted.

Seem to have had solid info before so why not. It's as good as any. I don't have a reason not to.

I guess we will see Wednesday. I just pray it is someone that will take us to championship caliber football, the kind where all other teams we play think ...."Holy Crap, I really do not want to play them", or "Auburn is who we want to be like". I am tired of being average at best.

I am livid at this list,

This proves auburn football is beig ran by an incompetent group of morons. JJ has to GTFO

Also quit telling us money isn't a factor, when you look at coaches like this it's obvious they want a cheap solution.

If they were seriously wanting to make a boom hire their list should include (in no order).

1)Peterson

2)Patterson

3)Bob Stoops

4)Gundy

5)Jimbo

6)Gruden

Not

Petrino- surrounded by controversy, more losses in bowl games than wins, weak defenses almost every year, can't stay at one school, so so recruiting classes, etc.

Gus- No proven HC experience, zero knowledge about defense, a terrible offense if he doesn't have a mobile QB (although it may have been chiziks fault I admit)

Morris- who I'm not sold on at all, I think any offensive coordinator would look good with Boyd, Watkins, and Ellington.

Smart- would at least bring some solid defensive recruits and improve our d, but no proven HC experience.

Only boom thing they could do with that list is let smart be 1/2 HC and let Malzhan be the other 1/2 HC.

Just beyond disappointed we aren't throwing everything we have a bigger names. JJ is going to set us back another 5 years while Alabama is about to get their 3rd championship in 4 years. We need to copy every single thing Alabama is doing and every team should be thinking that. I'd be okay with ring a mirror image of a team who is livid to lose more than 2 games and who is in 3 NC games out of the last 4.

I believe ellitor is a member of 247 and that is where a lot of this comes from... PM, etc...

I made an edit above. He is careful not to share more than he's cleared to share. That doesn't mean I know his sources or that he's always correct, but he tries to post helpful information that he believes in. That's been my experience.

It could have happened...how do you know other coaches declined interviews?

I don't, I'm responding to the original post. If this is indeed the top candidates, it is an embarrassment.

I think after the performance sat. Smart would have the lead on trickery gus

Don't get this at all..richt and his coaching lost that game...and what's so trickery about Gus offense...didn't Bama try a fake punt Saturday? How bout LSU and some of those wacky plays miles calls...

Archived