The word on the Search

ellitor

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for Gus as a coach, I want to win. I have no evidence to suggest that he would do anything but help Auburn win.

I wish I could assess how committed he is to player development and other non-X&O related issues -- that information's not available.

I do not buy the argument that his system can't win in the SEC. Kelly has pretty much demolished that argument at Oregon, and Sumlin's doing the same at A&M. I'd just like more of a track record.

I'll support him if he's the guy.

What did Jay Jacobs do to Gary Patterson this time? This was the 2nd time we could have hired him. How come the talk with Kirby Smart fell apart? nevermind. I already know. He talked to Jacobs.

I can deal with it being Gus. My worry, as I've said elsewhere, involves the icky version of Christianity that came with the Chizik era and in which Gus (and Kristi) apparently participate. I don't mean to belittle their individual faith lives, but I don't need a Christian veneer for our football program that doesn't speak for me or for the University.

And I'm very much a committed Christian. It's not about that.

I can deal with it being Gus. My worry, as I've said elsewhere, involves the icky version of Christianity that came with the Chizik era and in which Gus (and Kristi) apparently participate. I don't mean to belittle their individual faith lives, but I don't need a Christian veneer for our football program that doesn't speak for me or for the University.

Please man,lighten up on the "Christians who are different from me " are icky.

I think the "icky version of Christianity" that you are referring to was at AU before Chizik. I think it came with JJ.

I understand what you're saying. My problem with Gus is that I don't see a full scale change with the football program. Our offense will be improved, except the dreaded speed sweep will still remain a staple. I definitely don't see a different mentality for defense.

I could be wrong though. Hopefully, I am.

As for Gus as a coach, I want to win. I have no evidence to suggest that he would do anything but help Auburn win.

I wish I could assess how committed he is to player development and other non-X&O related issues -- that information's not available.

I do not buy the argument that his system can't win in the SEC. Kelly has pretty much demolished that argument at Oregon, and Sumlin's doing the same at A&M. I'd just like more of a track record.

You think it can work in the SEC because Kelly makes it work at Oregon??? I do not follow that logic. Sumlin made it work for ONE year. (check his QB) Florida made it work for 4 years (Tebow years) We made it work for one year (check our QB).

Gus can turn Ark St. into Boise St because that is a perfect spot for his system. It did not work against the best competition in the SEC over his 3 year period. (except for the one year)

Kristi Malzahns stupid comments weren't religious. The occurred at a church function, but what got her in trouble was making fun of other coaches, calling football players dumb, giving details about AU recruitment, and basically admitting she had a crush on Cam Newton.

There's not one shred of evidence Gus' offense won't work in the SEC. We so easily forget that, Cam aside, what made that offense work in 2009-2010 was a superb offensive line. As for Oregon, they've played LSU and Auburn. I'd suggest they hardly embarrassed themselves in either game. And now they play defense too.

It's an assumption, not a valid conclusion.

You think it can work in the SEC because Kelly makes it work at Oregon??? I do not follow that logic. Sumlin made it work for ONE year. (check his QB) Florida made it work for 4 years (Tebow years) We made it work for one year (check our QB).

Gus can turn Ark St. into Boise St because that is a perfect spot for his system. It did not work against the best competition in the SEC over his 3 year period. (except for the one year)

If what has been said is true and Chizik interfered with Gus in 2011, does that year count?

Regardless, what makes you think his system didn't work in 2009? He made Chris Todd look like an average QB...something he wasn't. Auburn was in ball games after only one year in the system and without all of the talent Gus went on to help recruit.

I think the "icky version of Christianity" that you are referring to was at AU before Chizik. I think it came with JJ.

What's "icky" about drawing connections between the specifics of what happens in our lives and the will of God? I'll hang up and listen.

Kristi Malzahns stupid comments weren't religious. The occurred at a church function, but what got her in trouble was making fun of other coaches, calling football players dumb, giving details about AU recruitment, and basically admitting she had a crush on Cam Newton.

from deadspin:

--

Sports agent John Phillips of the Breakthrough Sports Agency acknowledged Wednesday night that he put together the edited version that appeared on YouTube. Phillips earned his undergraduate and law degrees at Alabama.

"I made a parody video that went viral," Phillips said by text. "Mrs. Malzahn's interview speaks for itself. It's bananas. I am not in the business of making enemies out of coaches and meant no ill will. My dad went to Auburn."

--

Some turd found this obscure interview in which Mrs. Malzahn was trying to be funny and ended up sounding a little stupid. Said turd edited the video to make sure that all of the not-so-stupid remarks in between were removed. Her only crime was being affiliated with Auburn if you ask me.

What's "icky" about drawing connections between the specifics of what happens in our lives and the will of God? I'll hang up and listen.

what.jpg

Look, I don't want to have a religious debate. I'm not interested in a program that markets itself as Christian in any way and announces its victories as a God thing. And beyond saying I have a concern, I am not going to attach Kristi Malzahn other than to say I was embarrassed.

Some people immediately resonate with what I posted; other have no problem with how things were the past four years. I want a coach who coaches football. If his faith is important to him, I'm happy to hear it. I just don't want the program associated with it in any specific way.

from deadspin:

--

Sports agent John Phillips of the Breakthrough Sports Agency acknowledged Wednesday night that he put together the edited version that appeared on YouTube. Phillips earned his undergraduate and law degrees at Alabama.

"I made a parody video that went viral," Phillips said by text. "Mrs. Malzahn's interview speaks for itself. It's bananas. I am not in the business of making enemies out of coaches and meant no ill will. My dad went to Auburn."

--

Some turd found this obscure interview in which Mrs. Malzahn was trying to be funny and ended up sounding a little stupid. Said turd edited the video to make sure that all of the not-so-stupid remarks in between were removed. Her only crime was being affiliated with Auburn if you ask me.

this^^^^^^^

Thanks E, so we have only interviewed GM and KS? After reading the Aub Pres on CBS link, we are ready to hire one of the two.... We have not interviewed CS, GP, or JBF, why? Bama learned that getting a coach that "knows and believes in the school" was getting old, hello Mike Shula. Bama went after a high end coach, so why can we not do that?

Look, I don't want to have a religious debate. I'm not interested in a program that markets itself as Christian in any way and announces its victories as a God thing. And beyond saying I have a concern, I am not going to attach Kristi Malzahn other than to say I was embarrassed.

Some people immediately resonate with what I posted; other have no problem with how things were the past four years. I want a coach who coaches football. If his faith is important to him, I'm happy to hear it. I just don't want the program associated with it in any specific way.

I don't like the term "God thing" but calling the belief that god is in control of all things "icky" sounds like the start of a religious debate to me.

In conclusion, I like the idea of a God-centered man running our program -- especially if he brings that attitude into the locker room -- but I think I agree with you that coaching football is why he is hired and if he can't do that right then he needs to go. I would rather an atheist of character and principle who can win the hell out of some football games running our program over a solid Christian man who couldn't coach his way out of a cardboard box

I don't like the term "God thing" but calling the belief that god is in control of all things "icky" sounds like the start of a religious debate to me.

In conclusion, I like the idea of a God-centered man running our program -- especially if he brings that attitude into the locker room -- but I think I agree with you that coaching football is why he is hired and if he can't do that right then he needs to go. I would rather an atheist of character and principle who can win the hell out of some football games running our program over a solid Christian man who couldn't coach his way out of a cardboard box

Our last coach was God-centered.

But one who couldn't coach his way out of a cardboard box (see the rest of my post).

On the other hand, Tony Dungy is very strong in his belief's. He is a pretty decent coach. Belief's have absolutely nothing to do with coaching ability.

Archived