The word on the Search

ellitor

Sorry if I misunderstood but your comment sounded as if you believed that info...and thus were blaming the search committee for having low standards. You might have prefaced your comments with ..."if that is true"...to at least acknowledge some doubt.

And the so called "insiders" don't have that good a track record from my observation. Just saying !!!

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's up with this fire and brimstone stuff? Just because Smart jumps around more its perceived he is a better disciplinarian? Gus demands perfection from his players, especially in practice. Very detail oriented and great work ethic. You do not get the results he has being a pushover, non disciplined type of coach. Most offensive coaches are more laid back, because the offensive side is more mental. Whereas defense is less mental and more reactionary, you have to be motivator......most defensive coaches are pieholes, always have been - its in their nature.

The only two names that I have heard many a turd being scared of are Petrino and Smart. I realize we can't just look to scare the bammers, but if Petrino or Smart strike fear into the almighty Tide, then they have my vote. I would welcome either of these coaches on the Plains.

Bammer knows that if they lose Smart, along with everything they are losing to graduation/NFL this year, they will definitely be struggling next year. They also know that some of their 5-star defensive talent might come with Smart to Auburn. The biggest question marks in hiring Smart is who he would hire as his OC, and how would the transition to a 3-4 defense work at Auburn with our players?

Petrino is known for having a mediocre record against Saban, Miles, etc., but that is with lesser talent, facilities, resources and recruiting. At Auburn, he would be on a level playing field with all of these schools. Do I think he would win every game against these elite coaches? No, but he would definitely win his share of them.

Both of these guys have the discipline and structure that Auburn desperately needs right now.

How come when people use Muschamp and Fisher as examples of Saban coaches working out no one every mentions Bobby Williams or Dooley...or mentions how quickly Sunseri and Kevin Steele got fired from their jobs. Didn't they learn how to run a program or defense from Saban?!?! Didn't Nallsminger have Petrino's playbook?

Smart may be the next great coach...but just too much of a risk. It is a roll of the dice. Would much rather have a Patterson, Anderson, Strong, Petrino, or maybe even Malzahn(though I wish he had a few more years experience as HC to judge by).

Good point.

Kirby's never went anywhere else to have success. At least with Muschamp and Jimbo they were coordinators at other schools before they became HC. They weren't under Saban's wings the whole time like Kirby and Derek Dooley.

The only two names that I have heard many a turd being scared of are Petrino and Smart. I realize we can't just look to scare the bammers, but if Petrino or Smart strike fear into the almighty Tide, then they have my vote. I would welcome either of these coaches on the Plains.

Bammer knows that if they lose Smart, along with everything they are losing to graduation/NFL this year, they will definitely be struggling next year. They also know that some of their 5-star defensive talent might come with Smart to Auburn. The biggest question marks in hiring Smart is who he would hire as his OC, and how would the transition to a 3-4 defense work at Auburn with our players?

Petrino is known for having a mediocre record against Saban, Miles, etc., but that is with lesser talent, facilities, resources and recruiting. At Auburn, he would be on a level playing field with all of these schools. Do I think he would win every game against these elite coaches? No, but he would definitely win his share of them.

Both of these guys have the discipline and structure that Auburn desperately needs right now.

They may strike fear within the fans but what does that actually mean?

If we're interviewing Chad Morris...I kind of feel it's for the OC position under Malzahn, not for HC, but coachingsearch.com says it's false that we've interviewed him...This is really disappointing though if this is the best we can do. I thought at the least we had a shot at Jimbo, Strong, Peterson, Patterson, or Petrino, all proven head coaches, instead our top two candidates are an unproven assistant and an HC with 1 year experience in CFB in the Sun Belt? Although I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering Jacobs is still, freaking involved with the program.

Why would a search committee be searching for staff positions? I don't buy it -- and I hope we don't end up with Malzahn as HC.

First off: I like “E” and he has always answered my questions. Second: I thought, I would attempt to lighten the mood a-little.

My inside source also told me it may be Peterino and it may not be him. Another source told me it may be Gus and it just might not be Gus. That same source said it may be Smart but it may also not be Smart.

All of my sources have said that Peterson/Paterson/Jimbo and Gruden, all laughed hysterically when phoned by JJ and asked if they would interview to work for him!

I also have it on good authority that if the announcement is not made by Wed. it will be moved to Thur or Fri. Same source said if we hear nothing by Fri should hear something Sat or Sun.

Smart has coached under Saban and Bowden, 2 of the best to ever coach the game (as much as I hate to say it). He has never coached anywhere but the south and has worked the last 6 years under the man who is on top of college football right now. He deserves some very heavy consideration and I don't think we could go wrong with him. The key if we hired Smart would be who he brings along for OC. That's the most important aspect of the Smart angle, IMO.

PETRINO DID NOT WIN GAMES VS RANKED OPPONENTS AT ARKY....WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND

What was CGM record against them?

It seems like it is down to those two. Between the two surely you admit that Petrino is the better hire.

If we're interviewing Chad Morris...I kind of feel it's for the OC position under Malzahn, not for HC, but coachingsearch.com says it's false that we've interviewed him...This is really disappointing though if this is the best we can do. I thought at the least we had a shot at Jimbo, Strong, Peterson, Patterson, or Petrino, all proven head coaches, instead our top two candidates are an unproven assistant and an HC with 1 year experience in CFB in the Sun Belt? Although I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering Jacobs is still, freaking involved with the program.

Why would a search committee be searching for staff positions? I don't buy it -- and I hope we don't end up with Malzahn as HC.

They wouldn't be.

First off: I like “E” and he has always answered my questions. Second: I thought, I would attempt to lighten the mood a-little.

My inside source also told me it may be Peterino and it may not be him. Another source told me it may be Gus and it just might not be Gus. That same source said it may be Smart but it may also not be Smart.

All of my sources have said that Peterson/Paterson/Jimbo and Gruden, all laughed hysterically when phoned by JJ and asked if they would interview to work for him!

I also have it on good authority that if the announcement is not made by Wed. it will be moved to Thur or Fri. Same source said if we hear nothing by Fri should hear something Sat or Sun.

Finally.....a little clarity. ;)

PETRINO DID NOT WIN GAMES VS RANKED OPPONENTS AT ARKY....WHAT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND

What was CGM record against them?

It seems like it is down to those two. Between the two surely you admit that Petrino is the better hire.

As soon as Petrino wins the SEC and BCS, plus the Sun Belt, I will agree with you!

To borrow from another thread: Petrino does not have the discipline to keep his pants up.....as for Smart, who do you think they respect and fear over there...Saban or Smart....see the results of Sal Sunseri, Derrick Dooley, Kevin Steele.....Muschamp has worked for Saban, Brown, and Tubbs...so all three had an impact on him..not just Saban...The Saban tree does not have much to brag on at this point..........

Finally.....a little clarity. ;)

Hope it makes some smiles in a tense moment!

As soon as Petrino wins the SEC and BCS, plus the Sun Belt, I will agree with you!

I agree, winning the Sunbelt with a returning team that was a heavy favorite to win it is much better than building a BCS conference winning Louisville team :-\

:wareagle: If there are problems behind the scenes at Auburn at least Gus should know about them. He was here 3 years. If he doesn't want to come back it may be because of the stench in JJ's office. if he does come back maybe the stench is not there or he has been shown changes are in the works in JJ's office. I really don't want the turds coach or them saying we had to have an alabama man to beat them aka Dabo's quote post 1st Clemson loss

I don't think its an embarasment to be seriously talking about almost all the names on the list, with the exception of Petrino. Mainly because it smacks of desperation, and a particularly pathetic desperation at that. He is a great coach but not for us. I think that if Patterson, Peterson, & Strong are out then Kirby Smart is the best option. He doesn't have the HC experience but that is much less of a concern with him than the others because of the track record of former Saban Assistants (Sweeny, Muschamp, Fisher). Gus would be fine but I think the discipline issues along with the inexperience should probably keep him out of serious contention unless we do not have an option. The major issue that I see with Smart is that he runs a 3-4 system and we do not have enough quality LBs to have any depth. Although, I wonder if Lenonier or Ford would be able to play hybrid LB/DE Jack position. Also we do not have a NT of sufficient heft to be effective on the line, so it might take a couple of years to get the right personel into his system and I do not think the fan base has the patients for that with Bama doing so well. I think we should go with someone with proven HC experience but if we take a chance on an unproven commodity, then Smart is the least dangerous hire we could make from the lists that I have seen.

I agree with you for the most part. I also believe Dee Ford could be a good DE/LB. I have to point out one thing though. I think it COMPLETELY absurd of us as a fan base to not be expecting some rebuilding after what transpired this year. No matter who we hire, it isn't a given that we have a .500 season much less a flirt with a championship. Whoever is hired should be realistically given a 2-3 yr grace period to implement his plan.

I agree, winning the Sunbelt with a returning team that was a heavy favorite to win it is much better than building a BCS conference winning Louisville team :-\

Gus had four returning starters at Arky State and has won ever where he has been. I guess you are one of those who thinks it was chiz and roof in 2010?

Are you absolutely sure Petrino has not already interviewed? Maybe it was guys like Smart, Gus, and Morris that got interviews after their seasons were over. Petrino has been available for about 7 months now. The question is, does AU want someone with a PROVEN HC record, or all one has to be is to have been a head coach? With all the reports of the mess this team has become, I just don't think Gus is the one to go in and change that around. I think AU needs someone who's going to crack the whip, and to me, that person is Bob Petrino. In fact, I think Smart would be better able to do that than Gus would. I'm very grateful to Gus for the 2010 championship and I do believe he was the real reason behind it, but I think AU needs an iron fist right now, and I just don't believe Gus is that man.

Well said. My thoughts as well

Petrino is not happening unless some big $$$$ donors change their mind. If JJ is given full authority then look for Malzahn to get the job.

Finally.....a little clarity. ;)/>

I never understood why Paterson would interview again, especially since people claim he walked out of an interview a few years back. Another thing AU just fired a coach who won a BCS title, and conference championship. Coaches may be weary of coming into an environment where you are canned after one bad season(albeit the worse ever) If they can't duplicate titles then, they pretty much know the torches and pitchforks can come out real quick....

"We will move as quickly as possible in our search for a new Head Coach, guided by the benchmarks President Gogue and I expect. Those benchmarks are a track record as a proven winner, a commitment to playing within the rules and student-athlete academic success." - Jay Jacobs

Gus Malzahn

Kirby Smart

Chad Morris

Bobby Petrino

SMH @ Jay Jacobs....

First off: I like "E" and he has always answered my questions. Second: I thought, I would attempt to lighten the mood a-little.

Finally.....a little clarity. ;)/>

I never understood why Paterson would interview again, especially since people claim he walked out of an interview a few years back. Another thing AU just fired a coach who won a BCS title, and conference championship. Coaches may be weary of coming into an environment where you are canned after one bad season(albeit the worse ever) If they can't duplicate titles then, they pretty much know the torches and pitchforks can come out real quick....

Please don't tell me you still want to keep chiz?

I agree, winning the Sunbelt with a returning team that was a heavy favorite to win it is much better than building a BCS conference winning Louisville team :-\/>

That team had 4 returning starters..4...and Freeze

was at Arky State how long ..one year? Who gets credit for the title he won, how bout his turnaround season at Ole Miss.....does Nutt get credit for that?

Archived