The word on the Search

ellitor

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do people think we have a problem at wr? We have guys running open down the field every game. and physical recievers who block on the edges. There is no problem at wr. just don't have anyone who can get them the ball consistently

Blake had 50 catches Bray was 2nd with 14 as far as receivers. This is why some people think there is a problem developing receivers.

Again it's not the relievers fault they don't get the ball thrown to them. The receivers were one under malzahn and will be fine if he comes back. I would like to see a stat on how many balls were actually thrown to the other receivers not named Blake. I would also like to see how many catches they had based on how many times they were targeted.

The only drop I can think of off hand is Sammie coats against LSU. And a bone head play Trovon Reed on the back of the endzone against Clemson. 2 bad plays. So how would one come to the conclusion that 1 the wr are playing poorly and 2 that it's somehow malzahns fault?

A wr is supposed to do 3 things 1 run your route and get open 2 catch the ball and 3 block. They do all these things given the opportunity.

I saw open guys all season. And I also saw receivers blocking consistently.

All other receivers (7) had a total of 42 catches for the year, I don't remember a lot of drops just a lil off target

Paul Petrino on his brother Bobby: "Still to me is the most brilliant coach in football. His offensive mind is far above anybody else."

This is a source I believe!

Very disappointed in our administration. Was expecting alot more.

You mean you are dsappointed because you do not like the latest rumors?

I know for a fact that Petrino will or will not be the next head coach at Auburn. If he's not, it will be someone else. Take it to the bank.

Have you got a link on this? Who's your source?

:Sing:

If we're interviewing Chad Morris...I kind of feel it's for the OC position under Malzahn, not for HC, but coachingsearch.com says it's false that we've interviewed him...This is really disappointing though if this is the best we can do. I thought at the least we had a shot at Jimbo, Strong, Peterson, Patterson, or Petrino, all proven head coaches, instead our top two candidates are an unproven assistant and an HC with 1 year experience in CFB in the Sun Belt? Although I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering Jacobs is still, freaking involved with the program.

We would not interview a coach for an OC without a HC. The HC would conduct that interview anyway.

I know for a fact that Petrino will or will not be the next head coach at Auburn. If he's not, it will be someone else. Take it to the bank.

Have you got a link on this? Who's your source?

:Sing:

Don't worry about the source. When we get a coach, just remember that I told you we'd have one and it would either be Bobby Petrino or someone else.

So apparently we have the following categories of coaches:

a. Swing for the fence hire with HC experience College or NFL.- Jeff Fisher, Jon Gruden, Les Miles, Bob Stoops. Arky and Tenn made offers to two of those that we know of which shows they are willing to go for the home run hire even if they get turned down. Did we too ? We have no idea.

that leaves us with these 3 categories:

b. Coaches with HC experience at an AQ conference- Jimbo Fisher, Bobby Petrino (4 yrs), Gary Patterson (1 yr).

c. Coaches with HC experience at a mid major conference- Gus Malzahn (1 yr).

d. Coaches with OC/DC experience only and unproven as a HC- Kirby Smart (DC- 6 yrs), Chad Morris (OC-3 yrs).

Apparently we have interviewed 5 of the 6 coaches in categories b, c ,and d above. It's probably a good thing that Petrino is going to be interviewed last so they can compare him to the others. A strange set of circumstances, both for AU and BP, have allowed this combination to have a chance to come together. But, if AU doesn't at least give BP an interview when he is the only proven SEC head coach among them, they have to have rocks in their head.

I just did a quick review of the BCS Top 25. Of those 25 teams, only 9 of the top 25 teams (or 36%) have coaches who were head coaches before their current head coaching job. That list of guys includes Will Muschamp, Chip Kelly, Bill Snyder, David Shaw, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, Dabo Swinney, Dave Doeren, Bo Pelini, Chris Petersen, Pat Fitzgerald, Charlie Strong, Gary Anderson and a few others. In the top 10, that percentage rises to 50%. While optimally you would like the best of both worlds and hire a coach who has experience as a head coach AND has also been successful, it isn't always possible. The alternative of hiring a very promising coach with no HC experience is more the norm even in successful programs. It is certainly not a travesty or a catastrophe as some here suggest if that indeed happens. Just food for thought.

This needs to be the first post in a new thread to help sober up some people's thinking.

Auburn is really embracing the little brother role. It's sad. Auburn is not a major program. Major programs hire proven coaches. Laughing stocks like Kentucky hire unproven assistants. Those Assistants go to Auburns and Kentuckys to prove theirselves so they can get a job at a major program. Gus' one year at Arkansas state technical community college doesn't carry much weight in the real world. He would never be mentioned for even a coordinator job at bama or LSU. If sanctions are in the future for Auburn it will not matter. Auburn is gonna hammer itself. Auburn used to be a major program but hell we all used to be something.

Step away from the ledge dude

Aight E...

IF we settle for on of the "unprovens" (and that's a big IF), would you think that K. Smart would be the better candidate? I sure as heck would...!!!

First off: I like "E" and he has always answered my questions. Second: I thought, I would attempt to lighten the mood a-little.

My inside source also told me it may be Peterino and it may not be him. Another source told me it may be Gus and it just might not be Gus. That same source said it may be Smart but it may also not be Smart.

All of my sources have said that Peterson/Paterson/Jimbo and Gruden, all laughed hysterically when phoned by JJ and asked if they would interview to work for him!

I also have it on good authority that if the announcement is not made by Wed. it will be moved to Thur or Fri. Same source said if we hear nothing by Fri should hear something Sat or Sun.

Finally.....a little clarity. ;)/>

I never understood why Paterson would interview again, especially since people claim he walked out of an interview a few years back. Another thing AU just fired a coach who won a BCS title, and conference championship. Coaches may be weary of coming into an environment where you are canned after one bad season(albeit the worse ever) If they can't duplicate titles then, they pretty much know the torches and pitchforks can come out real quick....

Chizik was fired for fielding the 2nd to worst team in college football, making workouts voluntary, treating certain players differently than others, having the most off-field issues that Auburn has seen in 20+ years, getting blown out the last two years by every rival on the schedule, going 0-8 in the SEC, producing the weakest, slowest, most mentally inept team that Auburn has ever seen, and doing absolutely NOTHING to change any of this, other than have some "spirited" practices (probably in shorts and helmets, so that no one had to exert any energy by tackling). If other coaches cannot see that this is the reason that he was fired, then they should definitely stay where they are.

Chizik was handed a gift in 2010, in the form of the greatest football player in college football in the last 15+ years. He had a senior heavy class of Tubbs' recruits, all of whom decided that they were going to win a championship that year.

I agree..but we are fans. The coaching fraternity is a bit different...they see a desperate admin, fan base, etc. you can be the toast of the town one year and it will be distant memory the next....but you know as well as I do, the next hire will be expected to succeed sooner than later, 3 yrs @ 7-5 will keep Stoops his job @ UK, where as 7-5 will get you fired here at Auburn, and it should. Along with our alleged athletic department issues, and Saban up the road, some current big name coaches may be a little apprehensive about coming here.

I just did a quick review of the BCS Top 25. Of those 25 teams, only 9 of the top 25 teams (or 36%) have coaches who were head coaches before their current head coaching job. That list of guys includes Will Muschamp, Chip Kelly, Bill Snyder, David Shaw, Mark Richt, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, Dabo Swinney, Dave Doeren, Bo Pelini, Chris Petersen, Pat Fitzgerald, Charlie Strong, Gary Anderson and a few others. In the top 10, that percentage rises to 50%. While optimally you would like the best of both worlds and hire a coach who has experience as a head coach AND has also been successful, it isn't always possible. The alternative of hiring a very promising coach with no HC experience is more the norm even in successful programs. It is certainly not a travesty or a catastrophe as some here suggest if that indeed happens. Just food for thought.

This needs to be the first post in a new thread to help sober up some people's thinking.

God, I've posted this kind of stuff several times. It's like people don't even read the threads.

Thank you for the valid update, what are your personal perceptions at this juncture?

Thanks Ellitor but just curious, why can't you name your sources? I don't know you from Adams housecat and those are board rules anyway, yes? Although "one source says it's Petrino, the other says it isn't" and "this could change at a moments notice" sounds like a guy that hangs out here a bit named "Metafour" anyway. Not exactly cutting edge insite.

They both are trusted members on here. 1 I reference all the time and the other is a somewhat new friendship and I don't want to risk that by giving his identity away. I have passed along what both let me to. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think they already know (committee). I think they are giving interviews to those coaches that want to be interviewed. I feel that with Bo, Pat, and Mac, we will get an excellent coach in the end. I think that JJ has been told to stay in the background, and let the 3 men carry a lot of weight in the final decision. I really think this is what is going on.

I just don't understand why people are so high on smart... that's sabans team... tn had this same thought process when they hired sunseri (sp) and looked how that turned out

I would like to know who generated this list of coaches to begin with and then it would be worth discussing. Everytime a coaching job comes open a list of names come out nowhere. Did I miss something and the university publish a list of candidates?

No and they are not going to either.

I think they already know (committee). I think they are giving interviews to those coaches that want to be interviewed. I feel that with Bo, Pat, and Mac, we will get an excellent coach in the end. I think that JJ has been told to stay in the background, and let the 3 men carry a lot of weight in the final decision. I really think this is what is going on.

If all of this were true. It would have to be Smart. IMO

I would be okay if they would announce Smart as the new head coach this week.......just to interfere with the turds bowl preparation. We can fire him after the NC game.

There's no way I want Kirby Smart or any other turd in Auburn and leading Auburn football.

Pat Dye was a Turd before becoming arguably the best coach in Auburn history. Just sayin

I just don't understand why people are so high on smart... that's sabans team... tn had this same thought process when they hired sunseri (sp) and looked how that turned out

Same could be said for Muschamp... look how that turned out! Like it or not, Gus is tied to Chizik. And, like it or not, Gus is still in Cam's shadow... from some perception.

As soon as Petrino wins the SEC and BCS, plus the Sun Belt, I will agree with you!

I agree, winning the Sunbelt with a returning team that was a heavy favorite to win it is much better than building a BCS conference winning Louisville team :-\/>

Gus had four returning starters at Arky State and has won ever where he has been. I guess you are one of those who thinks it was chiz and roof in 2010?

How much credit does Gus get for our current mess at QB & WR?

How much development happened at the position under Gus? When he came there the "answer" was Chris Todd. Don't you think that he should have put some permanent solutions in place? I do not want to say anything negative about players but we all saw the results. Some if not the worst QB play ever at the school we love so much. If that position was better this year then we would have won 6 games. He recruited the same character issue guys as the rest and we somehow give him a pass because we loved his exciting offense that was great against everyone except teams that compete for championships.

He had KF for fall camp - that's it. Most of his effort went into BT who played very well given his athletic decencies As for Clint, AU took a flier on him. Avg QB but was never really SEC level

IMO.. He was part of the first class, and the staff had no real time for evals. Gus has never had the benefit of a returning stater but still has consistently won games. I would be interested to see him have a QB for more than 1 year before questioning his developmental ability. Yes he recruited Pike, but remember Gus was not in charge of discipline, that was Chizik and Jackson's job.....how have the Arky state players behaved this year...you know?

You just proved my point. When he arrived here he had Chris Todd & Barrett Trotter as his QB. What was his plan to fix this position? Over a 4 year period that position regressed. If we do not fix that position then we will be 6-6 next year. Every coach is in charge of discipline. If Gus went to Chizik and said we need to find another option because Pike got suspended 2x from his high school team for synthetic pot use then he would have allowed him to find another one. Come on. That is just common sense. He wanted Pike & he wanted KF. One lost his job to a true freshman and the other is a tight end for Louisville. If we hire CGM then I will support him just like I did Chizik but we will be a 7-8 win team every single year. Look at his offense against the best teams in the league. All of his wins came in just 1 year.

The head coach has final say so on discipline. I am not sure what kind of QB Pike could have been in Gus offense. And Gus was long gone before Pike was kicked off, yes he had some issues in high school, so did I. But when I got to college I saw opportunity and changed my behavior - I guess others should have given up on me as well? Pike got a chance and blew it, therefore he is buried at Louisville. Gus was here 3 years, he never had the same QB, the closet QB he could develop was Trotter, who played well up until his injuries kicked in. BT had an outstanding final game along with Gus, and if he had returned this year we may have had a far better season.

As soon as Petrino wins the SEC and BCS, plus the Sun Belt, I will agree with you!

I agree, winning the Sunbelt with a returning team that was a heavy favorite to win it is much better than building a BCS conference winning Louisville team :-\/>

Gus had four returning starters at Arky State and has won ever where he has been. I guess you are one of those who thinks it was chiz and roof in 2010?

How much credit does Gus get for our current mess at QB & WR?

How much development happened at the position under Gus? When he came there the "answer" was Chris Todd. Don't you think that he should have put some permanent solutions in place? I do not want to say anything negative about players but we all saw the results. Some if not the worst QB play ever at the school we love so much. If that position was better this year then we would have won 6 games. He recruited the same character issue guys as the rest and we somehow give him a pass because we loved his exciting offense that was great against everyone except teams that compete for championships.

He had KF for fall camp - that's it. Most of his effort went into BT who played very well given his athletic decencies As for Clint, AU took a flier on him. Avg QB but was never really SEC level

IMO.. He was part of the first class, and the staff had no real time for evals. Gus has never had the benefit of a returning stater but still has consistently won games. I would be interested to see him have a QB for more than 1 year before questioning his developmental ability. Yes he recruited Pike, but remember Gus was not in charge of discipline, that was Chizik and Jackson's job.....how have the Arky state players behaved this year...you know?

You just proved my point. When he arrived here he had Chris Todd & Barrett Trotter as his QB. What was his plan to fix this position? Over a 4 year period that position regressed. If we do not fix that position then we will be 6-6 next year. Every coach is in charge of discipline. If Gus went to Chizik and said we need to find another option because Pike got suspended 2x from his high school team for synthetic pot use then he would have allowed him to find another one. Come on. That is just common sense. He wanted Pike & he wanted KF. One lost his job to a true freshman and the other is a tight end for Louisville. If we hire CGM then I will support him just like I did Chizik but we will be a 7-8 win team every single year. Look at his offense against the best teams in the league. All of his wins came in just 1 year.

The head coach has final say so on discipline. I am not sure what kind of QB Pike could have been in Gus offense. And Gus was long gone before Pike was kicked off, yes he had some issues in high school, so did I. But when I got to college I saw opportunity and changed my behavior - I guess others should have given up on me as well? Pike got a chance and blew it, therefore he is buried at Louisville. Gus was here 3 years, he never had the same QB, the closet QB he could develop was Trotter, who played well up until his injuries kicked in. BT had an outstanding final game along with Gus, and if he had returned this year we may have had a far better season.

Get on the Gus Bus!!

Who believe Charlie Strong when he says he was contacted by neither Auburn nor Tennessee? He says he represents himself, and he denies he was called.

A. Nobody called him. And we should burn down the campus.

B. Nobody called him. Because he's not a promising candidate.

C. Somebody called him, but not a university employee or "official" representative.

D. He's lying.

Archived