Auburn vs. Arkansas hire

El Tiburon

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

Don't think so. The environment around the AU program is about to get really exciting. It'll take a few years to be sec champ caliber but I think it's coming.

I have never been a fan Bielema's style of football. Slow and boring, or at least used to be. I think he'll do OK at Arkansas and not much more than that. I don't think he'll even compare to the success Petrino was having there.

I would much rather have Gus. The media is just blowing it up because its a "big name"

He's not in the same league as Petrino and I think Gus will coach circles around him. I'm really surprised by Arkys choice.

Bret .... whatever his name is does not know what he is getting into at Arky, probably never took one step in the state before he was hired as HC.

The pros are that he has an Arky approved Haircut.

My opinion is that the more teams that go pro offense and run a 3-4, the better for Auburn. This makes the monopoly over for Saban and makes it easier for Auburn to get Spread and 4-3 recruits. :)

Did Arkansas have a bigger hire than Auburn? Don't get me wrong I like Malzah, but it just seems like Bielema is a better hire. What do you guys think?

In name yes but I think in 4 years Bielema will prove to be a bust and Gus will be doing well.

Why will he be a bust though? Is the main reason, because he doesn't have any ties to recruiting in the South?

Not saying he'll be a bust but he will be recruiting against LSU and Turds for the same kind of players he needs. Good luck since Arky has so many great high school players

Arky trying to beat Saban at his own game...and frankly I'm not sure many teams can do it that way...and Arky is likely to be one of those that can't.

Initially, I was of the mind that Ark had the HR hire and we settled. I think that was the shock of hearing who we ended up with. I think both schools got who they wanted. I don't think Ark will be bad with who they choose. I am liking the choice of Malzahn more and more. I really want to see who he hires for his staff to really feel comfortable about it. I like what he said about being an attacking team on both offense and defense. I can see us as Oregon in the SEC.

When Petrino was fired we all thought that Gus was the next coach. It was a given. Now both jobs are open and Arkansas announces their coach 10 minutes before Auburn did. Doesn't it sound like Gus chose AU and then let Arkansas announce their coach first?

People thinking Gus was on Arky's list was a myth. I and a few others said a number of times he was not anywhere close to their list.

To answer your question, yes, they did have a lot bigger hire than us by far.

Incredibly wrong.

How? The guy has gone to three straight rose bowls and the guy we hired has been a head coach for one year in the Sub Belt. Tell me how Bret Beliema (sp?) isn't a bigger hire. I would love to hear your answer.

When Petrino was fired we all thought that Gus was the next coach. It was a given. Now both jobs are open and Arkansas announces their coach 10 minutes before Auburn did. Doesn't it sound like Gus chose AU and then let Arkansas announce their coach first?

People thinking Gus was on Arky's list was a myth. I and a few others said a number of times he was not anywhere close to their list.

E, when are you going to explain to me why Patreno and timing are going to workout at AU? You said you would explain this weekend.

In name yes but I think in 4 years Bielema will prove to be a bust and Gus will be doing well.

Why will he be a bust though? Is the main reason, because he doesn't have any ties to recruiting in the South?

I agree with what golf said about trying to outSaban Saban and Miles. There is more to it though for me. He is going from one of the top 1/3rd jobs in the BIG to the 9th best job in the SEC in terms of resources, funds, and talent pool. Unless you are a Petrino type of player developer you are setting yourself up for failure. For example, looking at next year's schedule I have Arky going 3-9 or 4-8 where as I have Auburn going 8-4 or 7-5.

Incredibly wrong.

How? The guy has gone to three straight rose bowls and the guy we hired has been a head coach for one year in the Sub Belt. Tell me how Bret Beliema (sp?) isn't a bigger hire. I would love to hear your answer.

He is from the little 10. Enough said.

Incredibly wrong.

He is from the little 10. Enough said.

An SEC coach, Urban Meyer, came in his first year and schooled all those Big 10 teams. That tells you how bad the Big 10 really is.

E, when are you going to explain to me why Patreno and timing are going to workout at AU? You said you would explain this weekend.

I never said anything about timing being a factor. I was thinking the pieces of the puzzle fit together because Mac Crawford is good friends with Bobby Lowder, who along with McWhorter spearheaded Jetgate. McWhorter is also very good friends with Gogoue and I was told 2 weeks ago that he was in Gogue's ear about Petrino. The peices just seemed to work for BP but I am glad my theory was wrong on it pointing to him. My instincts always told me Gus though.

In one sense, yes, he was the bigger hire because he makes a bigger PR splash, IMO. However, I think Auburn hired the perfect person for this job. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think Malzahn will be considered a premier coach on a national level within 5 years.

Initially, I was of the mind that Ark had the HR hire and we settled. I think that was the shock of hearing who we ended up with. I think both schools got who they wanted. I don't think Ark will be bad with who they choose. I am liking the choice of Malzahn more and more. I really want to see who he hires for his staff to really feel comfortable about it. I like what he said about being an attacking team on both offense and defense. I can see us as Oregon in the SEC.

I think a very wise OLD man said that at one time.

Incredibly wrong.

Your question has been answered at least three times...check back and see.

No, Auburn has the better hire.

Bielema is the bigger hire. No disputing his success. I'd agree Arky is the #9 job in the conference, but it's still a place where you can win everything. Hard to see it with him, though.

Gus is a gamble IMO. A good, solid guy. A worker. An evil genius. But we have no idea about his ability to run and build an SEC program.

Wisco boy is a more seasoned coach than Malzahn but a very odd fit at Arkansas. Like Saban to LSU (whoops). But Malzahn is not a wet behind the ears coach and a very good fit for Auburn. He (inlike Bielsma) has zero learning curve in the southeast. I'd say Arky hired a more proven coach but Auburn made the better hire.

my gut feeling on Brett taking the Arky job is that his dream job is Iowa, he thinks that it could be opening up soon and he would not want to leave UW to go to Iowa. Several people close to Brett have said this to me

my gut feeling on Brett taking the Arky job is that his dream job is Iowa, he thinks that it could be opening up soon and he would not want to leave UW to go to Iowa. Several people close to Brett have said this to me

That's the first sensible reason I've heard for him to take the Arky job, tbh.

Archived