Ellitor -- Weren't you going to explain...

jouie

the coaching search to us once it was done? It's done. We have our coach. Tell us how all the pieces fit together, I think is what you promised. Thanks.

And seriously, I'm not calling you out, or trying to be a jerk. I'm interested in what you knew or even thought you knew.

I really don't care to hear it,

i could take a shot on why Gus being hired made since.

1)Has a NC ring

2)Conference championship in first year

Those two fit the "proven winner" JJ mentioned

Has Auburn ties which is always a positive in JJ's eyes

The offense is designed for and by him

He already knew the staff so it wouldn't take him long to judge who should stay or go

Workaholic

And clearly he laid out a solid plan to the search committee

I assume he's been thinking about who he'd hire no matter what school he'd be at next, and that was shown with the expedience that he hired Ellis Johnson, Lashlee, and Russell

When you lay it out he fits what the search committee and JJ stated they were looking for, where Kirby had no head coach experience and BP had more skeletons than originally known.

Seems like Jimbo Fisher was #1. Malzahn was probably #2 with Kirby Smart getting some help from the media. Ellitor has stated several times he gets his info from another source close to the situation. It seems to be hectic times the last few weeks.

Not much to explain.

There was the Fisher Faction, the Petrino Faction, and the Anyone-with-a-Pedigree Faction. Fisher didn't end up happening. Petrino wasn't going to happen. Came down to Malzahn and Smart. Malzahn was the middle-ground.

Seems like Jimbo Fisher was #1. Malzahn was probably #2 with Kirby Smart getting some help from the media. Ellitor has stated several times he gets his info from another source close to the situation. It seems to be hectic times the last few weeks.

In fairness, everyones sources were hectic over the past few weeks unless Bo Pat or Mac are your source

I don't know why anyone would get blasted for asking Ellitor to tell this story, for lack of a better word, and if there's lack of interest, well, I'm still interested. And no offense to those who are trying explain what went down, and how it all went down, but Ellitor said, in effect, this was a puzzle and he would show us the pieces and how they fit together. I'll wait on E. Thanks though.

I don't know why anyone would get blasted for asking Ellitor to tell this story, for lack of a better word, and if there's lack of interest, well, I'm still interested. And no offense to those who are trying explain what went down, and how it all went down, but Ellitor said, in effect, this was a puzzle and he would show us the pieces and how they fit together. I'll wait on E. Thanks though.

Understandable just throwing in my two cents everywhere :)

I think E thought Petrino would be hired. Therefore the pieces didn't end up working out like he thought.

I could be wrong on that though...

I think E thought Petrino would be hired. Therefore the pieces didn't end up working out like he thought.

I could be wrong on that though...

This is correct. I remember E explaining it all in another thread.

I wanted to ask this same question but I couldn't articulate it. All i remember is Ellitor saying "this hire makes sense the way the pieces are coming together but I have to explain after the hire." And I can't recall who we were discussing. I'll have to do a search.

So E, explain the pieces!

I think E was probably on the right track the whole time. However, I think he got thrown off at the end by a little disinformation. The Mighty E has an amazing ability to take facts and form an opinion about a logical conclusion.

So, merely one view of how things would likely turn out, and not so much on the actual details of the search ?

The peices just seemed to work for BP but I am glad my theory was wrong on it pointing to him. My instincts always told me Gus though.

Fair enough.

Those pieces he described really just boiled down to Mac Crawford's ties. One could just as logically infer that if Pat Sullivan hired a Malzahn understudy to run his offense, then he would want Gus at Auburn.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter now...but I will say the fewer times we have Jacobs on camera representing Auburn, the better it will be.

Okay, so Mac is friends with people involved in Jetgate, and he had the ear of Gogue, and coupling those together would logically point to a recommendation of Petrino. This is not secret information and could have been and should have been discussed somewhere within the hundreds of pages of rumor and speculation. Maybe this was what E had in mind when he promised us pieces -- or maybe there was more he had from 23...? But herein lies what's infuriating (may be too strong a word) about an AUburn board disseminating partial information to fellow concerned AUburn men and women, cryptic, secret information, and then never following up. JAM BAM! (just auburn messageboards being auburnmessage boards :blink: )

The problem with Petrino was that Gogue was the firewall. According to reports, there was no way Gogue would sign off on Petrino and the committee knew this. Was the Petrino phone call interview an effort to placate the Petrino faction? I don't know, but it didn't really work. A lot of sources had Petrino coming to Auburn, but Gogue was the wall.

My guess is that other high profile coaches were probably skittish about working with JJ and the dysfunctional athletic dept. or simply were not aggressively pursued by the committee. From what I heard, Stoops didn't rebuff calls at the beginning of the search -- neither did Jeff Fisher and Jimbo. I don't know at what point they declined to be candidates or what exactly happened on that front.

Mora Jr. was receptive, but quickly turned down offers to be interviewed by Auburn and UT. I have no clue about Patterson.

As AuSport reported, Gus was looking like the likely hire. I think all signs were pointing in that direction unless a home run hire had threw his hat into the ring.

Archived