PRAY FOR THE PEOPLE IN CONNECTICUT

Weegle777

Saw an 8 year old little girl die at the scene of a carwreck when I was in HS. I broke down when I made it home. That told me that I couldn't do that for a living. I have many friends that are FF/EMTs, and you all have my respect. It would ruin my life if I had to walk into a classroom with 5 year olds slain all over the room.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw an 8 year old little girl die at the scene of a carwreck when I was in HS. I broke down when I made it home. That told me that I couldn't do that for a living. I have many friends that are FF/EMTs, and you all have my respect. It would ruin my life if I had to walk into a classroom with 5 year olds slain all over the room.

I was just thinking about that. No one can handle that. It has to be the worst thing in the world.

Get rid of AUtomatic weapon. There is no need for them.

Imagine if you were five years old and had to do that.

I was just thinking about that. No one can handle that. It has to be the worst thing in the world.

Get rid of AUtomatic weapon. There is no need for them.

I wish we could figure out how to keep these weapons away from the animals that are capable of these atrocities. I don't know how to do it. I don't think anyone does.

Leglessdan, Thank you for your service. I can not imagine walking in to a scene like that. No matter what training a person has that would be almost impossible to get out of your mind. Those Police Officers, Firefighters and EMTs have my utmost respect and support. The teachers on the scene apparently helped save many more lives with their braveness and strength.

Our Prayers are with all involved especially the families, teachers, classmates and first responders.

@MichaelSkolnik: music teacher Maryrose Kristopik saved 15 children during shooting by barricading them into a closet, while shooter yelled "let me in" #Hero

Please honor these lost lives in the most morally conscience way that you can find possible!

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;

Enjoying one moment at a time;

Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;

Taking, as He did, this sinful world

as it is, not as I would have it;

Trusting that He will make all things right

if I surrender to His Will;

That I may be reasonably happy in this life

and supremely happy with Him

Forever in the next.

Amen.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart

and lean not on your own understanding;

in all your ways acknowledge him,

and he will direct your paths.

What a horrible world this is becoming. We have removed God from our society and the result is insanity.

I agree 100%. It was done in the name of tolerence and now we see what we have to tolerate.

Sometimes there are no why answers. What had the kids or others for that matter done to this unregenerate sinner? Nothing! Certainly nothing worthy of his actions.

We are reaping 50+ years of a few ruling the majority or those who would differ in regards to whether or not to have God acknowledged in our public schools, offices and even in our sports. We have failed to evengelize and stand up to be counted and say "This is not right" or "The Bible says..."! It will take longer to straighten out the mess our society has created.

In the end we are all to blame to a degree. So when you say a prayer for these latest victims of what our society is producing, don't forget to say a prayer for yourself and ask God to help you be a difference and help you to change others also.

Rom. 1:16

I love Auburn football. But this brings us back to what really matters.

I'm sorry, I am not trying to offend and I know my opinion will not be popular but this idea is a total myth. When was this supposed golden age of God in America? Was it when we were slaughtering Native Americans by the millions? Was it when we were shooting Phillipinoes like they were jungle animals? Was it when abolitionist, run away slaves and race mixers were being lynched? Or how about when we were purposfully burning Japanese and German civilians alive (acknowledged war crimes by McNamera who was picking targets for the raids)? When I hear this sort of stuff I cannot help but think that you feel the way you do because you have a very shallow knowledge of history. God (or lack thereof in our society) has nothing to do with this evil. There has been evil in the world since man has been a resident of it and there has never been a society, with or without God, that hasn't suffered from the actions of evil men. There has been just as much if not more evil commited in the name of religion than for any other single influence. The Nazi's were almost all devout Lutherians. The Russian/Chinese communist's religion was humanism, providence, and "the revolution". The crusades, the inquisition, and the catholic/prodestant wars were religiously motivated as well, if i'm not mistaken. Did you forget Eric Robert Rudolph, Timothy McVeigh, along with every KKK member and Islamist Extremist? All those people did what they did as a direct result of their religious convictions. How do you know Lanza wasn't from a Christian Home? He was certainly from a right wing family (given his mother's outrageous gun collection for a home with a severly troubled person). It's not a lack of God in our society that is the cause of this sort of evil it is the lack of a sense of community (easier to kill people you don't know), limited social mobility/meritocracy (talents unappreciated/ potential un-fulfilled = anger), along with no real help for the mentally ill, and easy access to high powered, high fire rate, high ammo capicity firearms. There is no simple answer and it is not a simple problem. Before anyone starts, I probably have more Guns than you do, and I have probably done more hunting and shooting in general than you have as well, so don't start with the anti gun stuff, it doesn't apply to me. I'm also not anti-religion, it's just that religion and God most likely didn't play a major role in this tragedy and this sort of hand-washing diverts attention from the things we can actually change. Let the flaming hate posts begin.

That was a well thought out post and I definitely agree with what you said about America losing a sense of community. That is dead on. And evil has been around way before man ever walked any part if the earth. But where I do part ways with you, is that I believe 110% that everything begins and ends with Jesus Christ. The evil that is rampant didnt just arrive on scene. It has to do with years and years of our society trying every way they can to eliminate God from our society. Man by nature is evil. And yes there have been many who have killed in the name of God. I mean Muslims kill in the name of a diety called allah. If we accept Christ as our saviour and follow the teachings of Christ and believe in what He stood for, it doesn't make us instantly pure and bulletproof to evil. It just means that we know our final destiny and the one that we are to model ourselves after. Again that was a good post, but to say that the absence of God in our society isn't a huge part of the problem is to be disingenuous.

I agree with H8UA.

It seems every generation always says that the world is ending. I remember my father telling me that his parents said the same thing "these kids nowadays." People thought Elvis was Satan back in the 50's.

The truth is crimes like this are extremely rare in the large scope of things. Your chances of being caught up in the middle of a mass shooting are extremely slim. There's 310 million people in America and maybe a dozen or two killed by random shooters. The statistics say that a child is safer in school than out playing in the neighborhood. Stats also say that out of all the way children are killed yearly, school shootings amount to less than 1% of the total. Children are far more likely to die in accidents. As for murder, they are far more likely to be killed by a family member or acquaintance.

This phenomenon of mass shootings is very similar to plane crashes. A plane crash that kills 200 is major news for days/weeks. It's a major media storm full of crying families and funerals. We have the NTSB talking heads telling us what they "plan to do" to increase plane safety. But what's reality? Reality is that you are FAR less likely to be killed on a plane than in your car. Car crashes where one or two are killed at a time is not news worthy, but if you add up all the individual traffic fatalities and then compare it to the plane crash fatalities, it is not even close -- cars are far more deadly. The difference is car crashes are so common that they aren't news worthy.

As I heard one security expert say, "I tell people if it makes the news, not to prepare for or worry about it. It's things that are so common that they are not in the news that you really need to worry about." He hit the nail on the head. Security decisions should be made based on how likely events are to happen. You don't buy flood insurance in the desert or hurricane insurance in Kansas. Sure, it's possible both could happen, but so infinitesimal as not to be relevant.

I agree that it is a sense of community that probably contributes the most to incidents like this. Mentally ill people + isolation + access to guns = the potential for bad things. But still that doesn't explain why most mentally ill people don't go on killing sprees. It's a complex issue with no sure fire answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived