Smith and Foster at AU today with Danzey

IronMan70

Good to see this from Bryan Matthews:

"Reuben Foster is visiting Auburn today"

"Update 12:15 pm: Foster and Smith spent a little more than an hour at the complex just hanging out with the Auburn coaches. They also met OG Devonte Danzey and his family.

I chatted with both before they left but didn't interview either."

"5-star LB Reuben Foster from Auburn (Ala.) High and 4-star ATHJason Smith from McGill-Toolen in Mobile just walked into the Auburn athletic complex together to hang out and visit with the coaches. The two played together in the Ala-Miss all-star game yesterday."

link: http://auburn.247spo...5-pm-15008704/1

I believe Jason will be one hell of a reciever for us.

He sure put on a show in the All Star game didn't he ? His desire is to be a QB but he and Gus sure have an excellent option if that doesn't work out for him.

Jason reminds me a lot of Emory Blake. I think he'll contribute a lot next season. And I love seeing him and RF together with the coaches. WDE.

I believe Jason will be one hell of a reciever for us.

He sure put on a show in the All Star game didn't he ?

Yeah...I've watched the kid for 2 years now as I live in Mobile area. The kid is great at everything he does. I would actually not be surprised if he makes a strong qb push in the spring.

Quality depth at LB is our greatest need. We have one (1) returning LB that played any amount at all. After Jake Holland, there's nobody with any experience. We really needed those four top-flight LB's we had committed. Now we're down to one. Hopefully we can get two or even all three of those guys back.

Jason Smith: If he gets a fair shot at QB I wouldn't be shocked to see him win the job. He's good!

Jason reminds me a lot of Emory Blake. I think he'll contribute a lot next season. And I love seeing him and RF together with the coaches. WDE.

He is considerably more quick and fast than Emory Blake. Emory Blake with wheels would be a top 3 round draft pick

Not making a judgment on Smith because I live in NY and have never seen him play. Just remember, Emory didn't really contribute as a freshman. 9 catches for 66 yards. Ben Obomanu didn't do a ton as a freshman. Courtney Taylor had to redshirt. More often than not, it takes time for a guy to really contribute.

First, he is coming in to play QB. He has stated that he is not coming as a WR. If he doesn't compete he probably will move to WR but it is not his intention to start there.

WR is a relatively new position for him (hasn't played it since SO year) .

Also we have extremely talented WRs in Sammie Coates and Ricardo Louis. We have guys that hopefully can break out in Reed and Bray. Melvin Ray physically is imposing and I hear great things about him from friends on the team.

I don't expect him to see the field much.

Not making a judgment on Smith because I live in NY and have never seen him play. Just remember, Emory didn't really contribute as a freshman. 9 catches for 66 yards. Ben Obomanu didn't do a ton as a freshman. Courtney Taylor had to redshirt. More often than not, it takes time for a guy to really contribute.

I agree. I'm a firm believer in the red shirt whenever possible. But I watched this kid make some catches yesterday using something he was born with not something he learned. I have no idea how he will fare trying out at QB but he appears to have one hell of a set of hands. Looking forward to seeing him in Blue.

I haven't had this concern over a huge recruit we SHOULD land since Emmit Smith because it's been that long since we were close but not necessarily there with a guy I know will be as a man among boys. Little doubt Reuben Foster will be another Ray Lewis...without the felonies.

Emmit regrets to this day signing w/ UF rather than Auburn. Lets just say if a recruit tats himself up with our college and we still fail to close the deal, that's a legendary miss.

Canuck, to my knowledge, Ray Lewis has never been convicted of anything other than misdemeanor obstruction. Heck, he never even stood trial for anything. Ray Lewis is Ray Lewis without the felonies.

Canuck, to my knowledge, Ray Lewis has never been convicted of anything other than misdemeanor obstruction. Heck, he never even stood trial for anything. Ray Lewis is Ray Lewis without the felonies.

He, and two friends, were charged with multiple murders. Lewis turned, testified against his friends and plead it down to obstruction.

Sorry, but that is not exactly accurate. You don't plead multiple murders down to obstruction if there is evidence you were involved, even if you agree to testify. The charges were reduced to obstruction due to lack of evidence of his involment in the killings. The trial of Lewis and his codefendants started during the spring after the super bowl in Atlanta. After the prosecution had presented its case, with little or no evidence that Lewis had committed any overt acts against the victims, Lewis's attorney arranged with prosecutors to dismiss the murder charges and let Lewis plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice; he also agreed to testify against his companions on the night of the killings, Oakley and Sweeting, who were each charged with murder. Lewis accepted this plea bargain, and he was sentenced to one year of unsupervised, unrestricted probation. He was also offered expungment of this record if he successfully completed his probation, and was not suspended by the NFL. He was fined a league record US$250,000. If I remember correctly neither Oakley or Sweeting were found guilty due to lack of evidence and I belive both of these men were later killed, in seperate incidents, in a violent manner.

Google is your friend.

I haven't had this concern over a huge recruit we SHOULD land since Emmit Smith because it's been that long since we were close but not necessarily there with a guy I know will be as a man among boys. Little doubt Reuben Foster will be another Ray Lewis...without the felonies.

Emmit regrets to this day signing w/ UF rather than Auburn. Lets just say if a recruit tats himself up with our college and we still fail to close the deal, that's a legendary miss.

Canuck,

I didn't know this. That's pretty cool. I'd like to know more if you've got more to share. :)

Oldaubie is correct. Lewis lied to the cops the morning after the murder, which was why he pled guilty to obstruction. He agreed to testify in the murder trial (which resulted in both of the accused being acquitted), but there is almost no chance that he actually murdered someone. He was indicted on agg. assault and murder, but they never had anything to actual tie him to the event. No physical evidence and no witnesses. He was never going to stand trial for murder. Ray Lewis is Lewis without the felonies.

In all seriousness, there is a difference between being accused and actually committing a crime. I have a friend from high school that made terrible decisions in college. He started dealing for a dude was a dangerous guy. Eventually, my friend lends his car to said dangerous guy and two bodies get dropped execution style with evidence all over my friend's car. Now, the cops in my home town knew almost immediately that my friend didn't do it. They also couldn't find the dangerous guy who they suspected and needed my friend to testify about lending the car to him. What did they do? Charged my friend with double homicide and waited for him to roll over. He eventually did, and the charges were dropped. Cops and prosecutors will leverage every tool they have to get leads and shore up their case. Being accused or indicted is a far cry from being guilty.

Canuck,

I didn't know this. That's pretty cool. I'd like to know more if you've got more to share. :)/>

Yes. Please expound.

Canuck,

I didn't know this. That's pretty cool. I'd like to know more if you've got more to share. :)/>

Yes. Please expound.

found this with a google search...

http://www.thewareaglereader.com/2010/08/emmitting-an-apology-to-gator-nation-but-why/

Archived