Calling All Deer Hunters!

TeBoneAU

I have not seen any pics, details or topics about the deer hunting season this year. I am just curious as to how everyone else hunting season is going. I have harvested 3 does and one 7 pointer in stewart county GA so far this year. No pics worth showing at this point.

I will start back hunting in AL next year. Therefore I am looking for land to lease if anyone have any info on some land in Russell, Lee, Macon, Bullock and Barbour Counties.

• 1 month later...

I got 3 does. My daughter got one doe. We both passed on numerous bucks including up to 8 pts. They just weren't big enough, so we let them slide (or let the neighbors kill them). We passed on numerous does also.

• 4 years later...

I wasn't sure where to ask this question but this thread seems appropriate. I picked up a used Weatherby Vanguard 300 today for $300.00. It's synthetic with scope mounts but no scope. I know many will say that the round is overkill for southeast deer but I'm not as concerned with that as I am the price. I did some research and it seems fair. Opinions?

I have a .300. It's fine for deer. Avoid shoulder hits and use a solid bullet for greater weight retention. I use Barnes bullets. 

That said, I'm hitting the woods bow only for the foreseeable future.

Why bow only?

I'm not completely sure why. I think it's more about the challenge and intimacy of bow hunting that is calling to me. 

I've hunted a long time. I really enjoy taking my teenage sons to the woods now. 

5 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'm not completely sure why. I think it's more about the challenge and intimacy of bow hunting that is calling to me. 

I've hunted a long time. I really enjoy taking my teenage sons to the woods now. 

Yeah, I've started to hunt almost exclusively with a bow over the past several years. Exceptions are property management, and when I need some meat. 

1 hour ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah, I've started to hunt almost exclusively with a bow over the past several years. Exceptions are property management, and when I need some meat. 

That's exactly where I am. I started bow hunting when I was 12. I killed my first deer ever with a bow when I was 14. Bow hunting has always held a special place for me.

I am most definitely undergoing a change in the way I think about hunting and my role in it. I still love it and see it as part of my heritage and DNA...just looking at it through a different lense I guess.

On 4/15/2017 at 10:24 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

That's exactly where I am. I started bow hunting when I was 12. I killed my first deer ever with a bow when I was 14. Bow hunting has always held a special place for me.

I am most definitely undergoing a change in the way I think about hunting and my role in it. I still love it and see it as part of my heritage and DNA...just looking at it through a different lense I guess.

I rifle hunted my entire life until my dad got into bow hunting several years ago. I bought my bow 4 seasons ago, and I haven't hunted with a rifle since that time. Again, I understand meat killing and property management, but for my purposes, I probably won't ever deer hunt with a rifle again unless its for some form of property management. The kill feels to cheap for me. I don't get enjoyment out of it and I think it cheapens my appreciation for the animal. That's just me. I don't judge anyone who hunts with a rifle. I don't see myself as some kind of purist, or anything like that. But, I love hunting with a bow. Everything you have to put into it, from the set up, to the camouflage and scent control, to how careful and still you have to be - I love. Intimacy is a great word to describe it. 

At some point I could see myself getting into wildlife photography for the same reasons. 

p

I rifle hunted my entire life until my dad got into bow hunting several years ago. I bought my bow 4 seasons ago, and I haven't hunted with a rifle since that time. Again, I understand meat killing and property management, but for my purposes, I probably won't ever deer hunt with a rifle again unless its for some form of property management. The kill feels to cheap for me. I don't get enjoyment out of it and I think it cheapens my appreciation for the animal. That's just me. I don't judge anyone who hunts with a rifle. I don't see myself as some kind of purist, or anything like that. But, I love hunting with a bow. Everything you have to put into it, from the set up, to the camouflage and scent control, to how careful and still you have to be - I love. Intimacy is a great word to describe it. 

At some point I could see myself getting into wildlife photography for the same reasons. 

I get it. Totally. I haven't killed a deer in two years, had several really nice bucks in the crosshairs and never took the safety off. You and I are on exactly the same page. I have a recurve and an old double barrel 12 muzzleloader at my house that I may give a whirl this year(only after exhibiting proficiency). More than likely I'll just stick with the compound.

I quit deer hunting 15 years ago. I went one day. And had four different deer in the crosshairs at different times. 1 buck 3 does. Every time I thought ,,,, if I shoot I have to gut it and go to processer at 50+$. Why do I bother. I get all the meat I want free. Give me them mallards. Keep the deer. 

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I quit deer hunting 15 years ago. I went one day. And had four different deer in the crosshairs at different times. 1 buck 3 does. Every time I thought ,,,, if I shoot I have to gut it and go to processer at 50+$. Why do I bother. I get all the meat I want free. Give me them mallards. Keep the deer. 

That's the thread I want. After duck hunting on occasion for most of my life, I finally caught the bug about 3 years ago. 

3 hours ago, Barnacle said:

That's the thread I want. After duck hunting on occasion for most of my life, I finally caught the bug about 3 years ago. 

I tried hard to catch that bug back in college. It just didn't happen for me then. Maybe I should give it another go?

I've never ate duck. I've heard it was good but greasy. Is that true of wild duck as well or is it less fatty and drier?

15 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I've never ate duck. I've heard it was good but greasy. Is that true of wild duck as well or is it less fatty and drier?

That's never been my experience, but I've only eaten a handful of species. I've heard some people talk that way about Coots for example (not technically a duck). Teal, Woodducks, Mallards, Gadwall are all good to me. 

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I tried hard to catch that bug back in college. It just didn't happen for me then. Maybe I should give it another go?

To me it happened when I taught myself to call. Made me feel a lot more comfortable and confident. I still have a lot to learn though. Especially around North Alabama, it's hard work. 

Ducks are hit or miss. Deer live here all year. Ducks migrate. All depends on weather up north and a million other things. A few miss years in a place like north Alabama will deter a beginning hunter. A really good year which are few will hook you. 

1 minute ago, alexava said:

Ducks are hit or miss. Deer live here all year. Ducks migrate. All depends on weather up north and a million other things. A few miss years in a place like north Alabama will deter a beginning hunter. A really good year which are few will hook you. 

That's true. Although it's interesting, hunters throughout the Mississippi flyway have been reporting decreased numbers over the past few years. Even my buddies in places like Stuttgart have seen significant declines in the number of birds they are shooting. There are a number of theories out there for why that's happening. We've had some really warm and strange winters lately. Hot. Too much water/not enough water. Some people are suggesting that the flyway is moving west. I suspect that pressure has a lot to do with it as well. 

A million things..... my crew hunts in northeast Arkansas. I haven't been in with them in several years. Year before last was bad. This past year pretty good. Any year out there is better than here. I have hunted little in the last ten years but 2000/01 season was as good as it will ever get. 

I think my lack of catching the bug had more to do with the crew I was hunting with, and the fact that I also just really liked deer and small game hunting. 

I live and work all up in the middle of the duck hunting world, emphasis on the second part of my screen name. I manage migratory waterfowl habitat for a living.

4 hours ago, alexava said:

A million things..... my crew hunts in northeast Arkansas. I haven't been in with them in several years. Year before last was bad. This past year pretty good. Any year out there is better than here. I have hunted little in the last ten years but 2000/01 season was as good as it will ever get. 

Great hunting around Big Lake. 

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I think my lack of catching the bug had more to do with the crew I was hunting with, and the fact that I also just really liked deer and small game hunting. 

I live and work all up in the middle of the duck hunting world, emphasis on the second part of my screen name. I manage migratory waterfowl habitat for a living.

Yeah, I spent most of my time deer hunting as a kid with the usual dove and duck hunt sprinkled in there. Wasn't until I had a few friends lease a place in Arkansas before they got really into it, and I've kind of followed suit. I really enjoy it. I love watching birds work. Nothing like it in my opinion. 

Yeah, I spent most of my time deer hunting as a kid with the usual dove and duck hunt sprinkled in there. Wasn't until I had a few friends lease a place in Arkansas before they got really into it, and I've kind of followed suit. I really enjoy it. I love watching birds work. Nothing like it in my opinion. 

Yes. I had moments when everything was quiet and the Ducks were cupped up, only the sound of air through their feathers....I could be convinced.

As an aside, have y'all read "The Old Man and the Boy"? 

9 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes. I had moments when everything was quiet and the Ducks were cupped up, only the sound of air through their feathers....I could be convinced.

As an aside, have y'all read "The Old Man and the Boy"? 

No but I just ordered it off of Amazon! 

Archived