Spread Offense in the SEC

StatTiger

Taking SEC games only from 2000-2012, here is an offensive comparison of spread offenses vs. traditional offenses in conference games only.

Points per game: Spread (27.9 PPG) / Traditional (23.4 PPG)

Yards per game: Spread (381.8 YPG) / Traditional (348.4 YPG)

Yards per play: Spread (5.63) / Traditional (5.23)

Rushing: Spread (181.2 YPG) / Traditional (142.8 YPG)

Rushing per carry: Spread (4.47 YPC) / Traditional (3.88 YPC)

Passing Yards: Traditional (205.6 YPG) / Spread (200.6 YPG)

Yards per pass attempt: Spread (7.35 per att) / Traditional (6.89 per att)

Pass Efficiency: Spread (132.9) / Traditional (121.7)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too many "experts" think the spread is the air raid. The spread has many versions, some of which are run based and other pass based. I love Malzahn's version of the "spread", and the stats show it is a nice balanced attack.

Not looking forward to playing A&M / J. Football for the next two or three years.

I believe someone is going to come up with a defensive scheme to slow him down.. Too many good coaches in the SEC to not have someone figure out a scheme to hit the brakes.... the first year everyone was blind-sided.. This coming season the SEC knows what to expect...

The "spread" is the same old plays that have been run in football since the dawn of time. The biggest difference that between the two styles are

1. Tempo

2.Spread and Stretch the defense across the field with formations

3. Passing game has more high percentage throws mixed in

Not looking forward to playing A&M / J. Football for the next two or three years.

I believe someone is going to come up with a defensive scheme to slow him down.. Too many good coaches in the SEC to not have someone figure out a scheme to hit the brakes.... the first year everyone was blind-sided.. This coming season the SEC knows what to expect...

Could be wrong, but he will be a lot easier to stop once his all-star O-line leaves next year

Could be wrong, but he will be a lot easier to stop once his all-star O-line leaves next year

^This^

It is a misconception that you spread the field to pass. I’ve coached for 23 years and have always spread the field to create more running lanes. It’s better to run against 5 or 6 defenders than it is 8 or 9 of them. And by spreading the field you know you’re only going to get a limited number of defensive alignments, making it easier to coach blocking assignments.

Thanks StatTiger nice work as always.

Nice work as usual Stat!

I was a little surprised by the rushing numbers. In that time frame in the SEC I would have guessed more of the spread teams were more pass heavy. Gus' POW offense will boost those rushing numbers even more!

The "spread" is the same old plays that have been run in football since the dawn of time. The biggest difference that between the two styles are

1. Tempo

I agree and I believe it is the future of college football. For me to say this is like a Chevy guy buying a Ford. I have lived a life of three yards and a cloud of dust and play tough defense. But I have seen the light. Johnny Football is a hell of a player and I am taking nothing away from him but the offensive schemes A&M runs allow him to do much of what he does. I still want the tough defense but as I told a friend of mine - Patton would like this offense. Attack-Attack-Attack. Fast-Fast-Fast. At times I believe the tempo may be more important than the schemes.

1. Tempo

I agree and I believe it is the future of college football. For me to say this is like a Chevy guy buying a Ford. I have lived a life of three yards and a cloud of dust and play tough defense. But I have seen the light. Johnny Football is a hell of a player and I am taking nothing away from him but the offensive schemes A&M runs allow him to do much of what he does. I still want the tough defense but as I told a friend of mine - Patton would like this offense. Attack-Attack-Attack. Fast-Fast-Fast. At times I believe the tempo may be more important than the schemes.

I love hearing you old folks coming around.. :clap:

1. Tempo

I love hearing you old folks coming around.. :clap:

It's hard and it makes my head hurt.

Its gonna be hard to scheme against him when you don't know what he is going to do. And they want know because he doesn't know.

He's just a player making plays.

It is a misconception that you spread the field to pass. I’ve coached for 23 years and have always spread the field to create more running lanes. It’s better to run against 5 or 6 defenders than it is 8 or 9 of them. And by spreading the field you know you’re only going to get a limited number of defensive alignments, making it easier to coach blocking assignments.

Thanks StatTiger nice work as always.

Bingo... the key is spreading the defense side line to side line to create running lanes and open up the vertical passing game.

I don't doubt the stats but there's one BIG intangible - Recruits that expect to go Pro want to learn to play in a Pro set offense .... Maybe Chip Kelley can help change that paradigm...

Take a look at Syracuse this year...they ran an up tempo west coast offense for most of the year. It served them pretty well. They changed their play names and calls to shorten calling the plays in and thus was more able to run uptempo. So you can run whatever you want, pro, spread, Gus Bus but the uptempo is the key along with the execution. Use whatever will give you the advantage to either run or pass but uptempo is the key to wearing down the D. Also, limiting your packages so you limit the D substitution so you can gas and gnash them almost every series...just my 2 cents...

Where do you get this stuff, StatTiger??? Great stuff. Thanks.

I was wondering the exact same thing! Crazy the stats that he can find, calculate... wherever they come from they're really interesting stuff. Thanks Stat!

A&M loses two big cogs in the O line this year. They will still be a good team but how will they react to being the hunted? Ought to be interesting. J football could turn pro after next season if he so desired. Doubt he would but he will be eligilible.

Archived