LSU vs. Auburn game thread

AUfanaticAU

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we were 12-22 at the free throw line tonight but its probably one of our worse free throw shooting games this season. The free throw situation which goes back a lot of years is well on its way to being corrected. For the season (doubt it includes tonights game) we are 186 - 267 at the FT line. That's right at 70%. Not super great but much better than we have been in the past.

Thanks for this stat. I thought we were oddly poor at the free throw line last night.

Very nice to get a SEC win! I fully expected this team to fold with no Price and Denson but they seem to really be playing hard and having other guys step up. Congrats to Barbee and the team!!

fun game to watch. nice to see contributions from all over the team. including denson/price, our team goes 10 deep most every game - granger being odd man out.

every time you think chubb has hosed it up, he makes some kind of play ... and he always seems to be near or at a dbl/dbl. chubb wont be a lottery pick, but he does provide some steady play and physical play from time to time ... still wish he would dunk the ball when he is within 3' of the rim, but after 4 years, that aint gonna happen. did anyone else think that the 6'10" chubb looked like a munchkin next to del piero?

btw, payne is the man. we actually have some scorers. there is a chance we can get double figures, on any given night, from any of: sullivan, denson, payne, noel, chubb, shaq, price. dont remember the last time we had that many offensive threats.

they still have a ways to go, but the last 3 games have me more optimistic. just gotta win away from home.

edit: one scary stat from last night. this goes to the whole bad FT thing ... we were leading by 14 with 1:06 to remain and won by 5. lsu flipped 9 points in a minute by fouling and hitting 3's. i dont know why teams with a deep bench dont start fouling auburn from the opening tip. let us shoot 50 FT, and limit our possessions. 68.5% on the year at the stripe is not good enough.

Tied for first place in the SEC west. Who expected that? :bananadance:

edit: one scary stat from last night. this goes to the whole bad FT thing ... we were leading by 14 with 1:06 to remain and won by 5. lsu flipped 9 points in a minute by fouling and hitting 3's. i dont know why teams with a deep bench dont start fouling auburn from the opening tip. let us shoot 50 FT, and limit our possessions. 68.5% on the year at the stripe is not good enough.

AU went into shutdown mode with about 50 sec to go. Hitting those FTs would have helped but so would playing more than token defense. I think they were trying to prevent any cheap fouls but they got a bit too complacent for sure.

Also remember they hit a 3 as time expired. It would have been nice to knock down more of the FT's and keep the margin around 10, but an SEC opening win is awesome. The silver lining is AU won the game and Barbee has something to harp on. This team has talent but still needs baby steps. Winning at SC can happen but it won't be easy for this team. Hopefully they can stay focused and move to 2-0.

Positives:

* We won our SEC opener

* We won our SEC opener without Denson or Price

* We won despite Sullivan having a bad game

* We scored 68 despite Sullivan having a bad game

* Players are stepping up - Payne, Johnson, and Green Jr

* Say what you will about Chubb, he is an asset for us and played a good game

Negatives:

* Poor free throw shooting, especially down the stretch

* Too inconsistent and streaky on offense

* We will have trouble with quality big men

After watching the game last night, I really think Barbee is doing a great job with the talent we have. Our players are getting better and our defense looks good as well. I think AU is heading in the right direction. Nice work coach!

I was listening on the radio while working. What did Bramblett say after one of the dunks? "Put the seat down" or something. I was laughing. He's been waiting since the break to let that one out.

Was at the game...

* Great crowd.

* Really, really loud.

* Barbee has got them playing with intensity that I have not seen in 10 years.

* Shaq is going to be a stud if he is not already considered on.

* Had a few lapses on defense and got unfocused for a 5-8 minute straight at the end of the 1st half and on into the second.

*Hope we continue to improve

Very good win. I love basketball it has been very very very tough as an AU basketball fan just give me some slight ray of hope and I can get excited. I am excited. That team played hard pretty resliant.

Archived