Auburn at Arkansas

minister of music

This is a bad, bad loss. They didn't get out played. They didn't rebound and the look like a middle school team at the FT line. Completely inexcusable.

We out rebounded them 39-34...

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bad, bad loss. They didn't get out played. They didn't rebound and the look like a middle school team at the FT line. Completely inexcusable.

How do I show thumbs down to this?

emoticon-thumbsdown.png

Gonna be hard to get ready for KY on Saturday, both mentally and physically.

Sellout home crowd should help mentally. And these are 20 year-old kids out there, they shouldn't feel the effects of this one 72 hours from now.

Good points but still, this was a hard fought 50 minute game.

I think this game may have been a confidence builder going into the UK game. What an effort to come back from being down seven at the half and take UA to double OT in their house! That 3 pointer by Payne with five seconds left was a thing of beauty.

Yeah, just looked that up. Was going on the eye test because Arky was getting a lot of the big rebounds that AU should have secured.

I know y'all disagree with the "bad, bad loss" assessment, but AU beat themselves. You cannot shoot that poorly from the FT line and turn the ball over twice as much as your opponent and feel good regardless of the score. Yes, they fought hard, but there were just too many mental mistakes that have crept back in tonight that they were able to avoid the last 3 games. The 3 at the end of regulation was fantastic and Chubb had his way at an important time in regulation as well, but OT came and everyone looked at Sullivan. He did all he could, took a few bad shots, and made several good ones.

I'm not a fan of the way Barbee managed that game and the loss can just be chalked up to fatigue. Heck, I was tired and I'm kicked back on the couch. I played in a couple of 2OT games and its easy to check out mentally because you just want it to be over. Not that AU checked out at all. It was just those very important fundamental moments that I can't see to grasp why AU struggles with.

How do I show thumbs down to this?

emoticon-thumbsdown.png

Haha, nice.

Tough loss. Our guys played hard. What a game. There is no doubt in my mind our team is getting better. FT shooting is still our biggest problem IMO. I am proud of the way our guys played their hearts out. Beat UK! War Eagle!!!!!!

I think, at times (me included), assessments of the game become biased between a pro-coach/anti-coach crowd. If you like CTB, you will defend him no matter what and if you don't, you criticize. Trying to be objective as possible here, and I'm sure some will call me out for practicing what I just mentioned, but 4-14 from FT line in D1 is hard to explain away. Now, I was not a fan of CTB being hired, haven't liked some of his game decisions, but I am excited about the type of player he seems to be recruiting and the more organized style of ball we have been playing. However, there are some fundamental lapses among upperclassmen that are troubling. If we are totally buying in to the change of culture CTB says he is bringing to the program, a winning culture, then games like these are a painful reminder that, as a fanbase, we still appreciate hard work without the W. At times, this is ok, I mean if we lose double overtime like tonight and don't have a glaring stat deficiency, then yes, hard-fought game, can't win them all. But when you snap defeat out of the jaws of victory, even losses like these are bitter. That said, it is refreshing to see guys leaving their guts on the court, and it is obvious effort is not and will not be a deficiency on this team. War Eagle and beat UK!

Yeah, just looked that up. Was going on the eye test because Arky was getting a lot of the big rebounds that AU should have secured.

I know y'all disagree with the "bad, bad loss" assessment, but AU beat themselves. You cannot shoot that poorly from the FT line and turn the ball over twice as much as your opponent and feel good regardless of the score. Yes, they fought hard, but there were just too many mental mistakes that have crept back in tonight that they were able to avoid the last 3 games. The 3 at the end of regulation was fantastic and Chubb had his way at an important time in regulation as well, but OT came and everyone looked at Sullivan. He did all he could, took a few bad shots, and made several good ones.

I'm not a fan of the way Barbee managed that game and the loss can just be chalked up to fatigue. Heck, I was tired and I'm kicked back on the couch. I played in a couple of 2OT games and its easy to check out mentally because you just want it to be over. Not that AU checked out at all. It was just those very important fundamental moments that I can't see to grasp why AU struggles with.

They YOU go over and tell those young men who left their guts on the floor for Auburn University that they suck! People can say stupid crap on message boards anonymously and get away with it. Go do it in person. Tell that to Barbee's face. Dare you!

They YOU go over and tell those young men who left their guts on the floor for Auburn University that they suck! People can say stupid crap on message boards anonymously and get away with it. Go do it in person. Tell that to Barbee's face. Dare you!

If there was a "like" button.........

If there was a "like" button.........

Why isn't there a like button haha? C'mon Auburn engineers! Bound to be some ECE graduates here!

I'm looking, but I just don't see where I said anyone, "sucked".

I think, at times (me included), assessments of the game become biased between a pro-coach/anti-coach crowd. If you like CTB, you will defend him no matter what and if you don't, you criticize. Trying to be objective as possible here, and I'm sure some will call me out for practicing what I just mentioned, but 4-14 from FT line in D1 is hard to explain away. Now, I was not a fan of CTB being hired, haven't liked some of his game decisions, but I am excited about the type of player he seems to be recruiting and the more organized style of ball we have been playing. However, there are some fundamental lapses among upperclassmen that are troubling. If we are totally buying in to the change of culture CTB says he is bringing to the program, a winning culture, then games like these are a painful reminder that, as a fanbase, we still appreciate hard work without the W. At times, this is ok, I mean if we lose double overtime like tonight and don't have a glaring stat deficiency, then yes, hard-fought game, can't win them all. But when you snap defeat out of the jaws of victory, even losses like these are bitter. That said, it is refreshing to see guys leaving their guts on the court, and it is obvious effort is not and will not be a deficiency on this team. War Eagle and beat UK!

I agree with you on all points. I'm not in the anti-coach crowd yet, and I do think in general the program is getting better, but there are glaring, consistent issues with Barbee's teams that they just simply cannot overcome. It's NOT for lack of effort. If there's one thing this team has done well lately, it's hustle. But right now, AU is tied for 194th in FT% (but looking at the stats, Vandy is 346th, second to last, geez) and that's just not going to win close games.

Sorry that some AU fans only saw the negative in this game but after sleeping on it over night, I have say that this AU team played one of the best games I've seen AU play in many years for several reasons.

1. Played a 2 OT game on the road in a notorious snake pit at Arky against the best defensive team in the SEC.

2. Several times the team appeared to be out of the game, yet they rallied back, made clutch shots and key defensive stops that turned the game.

3. Team never showed any "quit" and despite playing without two of their better players, they gutted it out to the very end.

4. The seniors have developed a different attitude and provided leadership when things looked bad. And the new players are blending in well to give the team some depth inspite of the serious losses of Denson and Price.

And as for this comment: " that's just not going to win close games.".....seems that you might have missed the South Carolina, FSU and LSU games last week. Sure they can get better and the missed FTs drive me wild but I saw some star from Wisconsin, I think it was, who was shooting 33% from the FT line this season....and Shaq could never master the skill either. From some players, you have to take what they give you and accept that they aren't perfect.

I could not be more proud of the effort they gave.. There will always be posters who b**** and bellyache about the lack of perfection and dwell on the negative. Gee....I hope they are that good in their personal lives, never screw up, never fall short. Meanwhile, these are 18-21 year old kids who are still learning the game. ..they make mistakes at crucial times, etc...but they never ceased to give 100%.

Fans should fill the place tonight against the UT gals...and the Auburn Arena was designed for games like Sat, night with UK. Hope the students and fans will turn the place into absolute bedlam...like Arky and some others are able to do.

And as for this comment: " that's just not going to win close games.".....seems that you might have missed the South Carolina, FSU and LSU games last week. Sure they can get better and the missed FTs drive me wild but I saw some star from Wisconsin, I think it was, who was shooting 33% from the FT line this season....and Shaq could never master the skill either. From some players, you have to take what they give you and accept that they aren't perfect.

I did watch those games, and they shot (according to ESPN.com's stats) 68.3% vs. FSU, 54.5% vs. LSU and 64.3% against USC. To me, a team FT % at or around 70% is acceptable, 75% is good, any thing above that and you are tickled pink. Last night's 41.2% (7-17) to go along with 18 turnovers (to Arky's 8) was the difference in that game.

Look, I slept on it too and "bad, bad loss" was too dramatic. I recant that. It's still a bad loss to me. Free throws are probably the most mundane act in sports. It NEVER changes. It's always an unguarded 15' shoot at an unmoving 10' high hoop with a 30" circumference . In every gym, in every game, every time. No, it's not the #1 factor in determining how good a player is, but to say "Shaq wasn't good at it," isn't a good comparison. He averaged almost 30 points a game for 10 years of his career, and averaged 23 per game for his entire campaign.

Lastly, I never once questioned their effort. I don't think I ever have under Barbee. Or any coach. It's not a matter of effort, but you don't get to the postseason with just effort. Execution is essential, and last night, Auburn didn't execute at some critical times. If I had a relationship with Barbee, and I was able to ask him the things I have posted, I would certainly do so just to find out how he came to the decision to stop attacking with a slim one point lead and settle for a late-in-the-shot-clock attempt as opposed to running your offense sooner to give yourself a chance at a better shot. Now, this year, Auburn has greatly improved in their game late game decisions and I have been very impressed that they have been able to overcome early game runs by the other teams and not let those runs turn into insurmountable leads. There's a lot to like about this team for sure, most of which is that they are in these SEC road games down to the wire. But some fundamental things continue to haunt Auburn basketball and keep it from becoming good.

Now, I'm stoked to have a less powerful UK team coming to AU and looking forward to the game. I'm not sure who AU is going to put on Noel for UK, as he is really improving game after game. A win over that program would be monumental and would really change the outlook for this season. Price and Denson are greatly missed, and would have likely been a big factor in last night's game, simply to have more bodies to throw at a 2 OT game. But they aren't just bodies and their full recovery is necessary to put AU into postseason play. There's still an outside shot at AU getting to the NCAA tournament, but realistically, they could shoot for a high seed in the NIT and that wouldn't be a letdown.

War Eagle folks. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my analysis. It's just one guy's opinion of where this team is right now. Obviously, it's not a popular opinion so I'll just keep it to myself going forward.

OK

I did watch those games, and they shot (according to ESPN.com's stats) 68.3% vs. FSU, 54.5% vs. LSU and 64.3% against USC. To me, a team FT % at or around 70% is acceptable, 75% is good, any thing above that and you are tickled pink. Last night's 41.2% (7-17) to go along with 18 turnovers (to Arky's 8) was the difference in that game.

Look, I slept on it too and "bad, bad loss" was too dramatic. I recant that. It's still a bad loss to me. Free throws are probably the most mundane act in sports. It NEVER changes. It's always an unguarded 15' shoot at an unmoving 10' high hoop with a 30" circumference . In every gym, in every game, every time. No, it's not the #1 factor in determining how good a player is, but to say "Shaq wasn't good at it," isn't a good comparison. He averaged almost 30 points a game for 10 years of his career, and averaged 23 per game for his entire campaign.

Lastly, I never once questioned their effort. I don't think I ever have under Barbee. Or any coach. It's not a matter of effort, but you don't get to the postseason with just effort. Execution is essential, and last night, Auburn didn't execute at some critical times. If I had a relationship with Barbee, and I was able to ask him the things I have posted, I would certainly do so just to find out how he came to the decision to stop attacking with a slim one point lead and settle for a late-in-the-shot-clock attempt as opposed to running your offense sooner to give yourself a chance at a better shot. Now, this year, Auburn has greatly improved in their game late game decisions and I have been very impressed that they have been able to overcome early game runs by the other teams and not let those runs turn into insurmountable leads. There's a lot to like about this team for sure, most of which is that they are in these SEC road games down to the wire. But some fundamental things continue to haunt Auburn basketball and keep it from becoming good.

Now, I'm stoked to have a less powerful UK team coming to AU and looking forward to the game. I'm not sure who AU is going to put on Noel for UK, as he is really improving game after game. A win over that program would be monumental and would really change the outlook for this season. Price and Denson are greatly missed, and would have likely been a big factor in last night's game, simply to have more bodies to throw at a 2 OT game. But they aren't just bodies and their full recovery is necessary to put AU into postseason play. There's still an outside shot at AU getting to the NCAA tournament, but realistically, they could shoot for a high seed in the NIT and that wouldn't be a letdown.

War Eagle folks. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone with my analysis. It's just one guy's opinion of where this team is right now. Obviously, it's not a popular opinion so I'll just keep it to myself going forward.

OK. Here's my take after sleeping on it. Foul shooting is contagious. Our centers are not good at it,and they get fouled first. I have seen good foul shooters and bad. I have no explanation why that shot should be that hard (although a 4 ft putt can seem like a mile at my age!). The three glaring problems I see are,in order,a shortage of guards,lack of a true power forward,and inexperience at the other positions. Notice lack of talent was not mentioned. We have one point guard capable of breaking the press on his own. One. And he was a walk on. We have one shooting guard . Frankie. That means they play too many minutes,and are spent at the end of games. Especially when you have to fight back from huge deficits twice. A jump shooter must have legs,and Frankies' were gone. That explains the turnovers while trying to force the ball to Chubb in the last 8 minutes. The youngsters are talented and will be fine,but I miss the big, brawny power forward that could play D and rebound everything. With that being said, if we shoot well and manage our turnovers,only Missouri and maybe Florida look unbeatable in the SEC. So WDE and let 'em rest a little for Kentucky coach!

Dean Smith talked about free-throws in one of his books. He said due to time restraints by the NCAA the players had to take it upon themselves to get most of their FT practice on their time. Dean Smith is one of the all time greats so I believe him. As a boy/ young man before I blew my knee out I got a lot of the times half my points or more at the line. It was part of my game to use my quickness and freakish strength to get three points the ole fashion way-so I practiced FT every day, shooting a minimum 100 a day on school days and 200-1000 a day in the summers. My coaches never had to waste practice time on FTs. FTs are on the players. If they miss them they should spend their off day shooting them for a study break.

AU lost this game due to... a bad night at the line, although FT shooting has improved, and because AU has a depth problem. Coach Barbee has a couple of good players out right now, and that caught up with them too. It was still a great effort, and I'm proud of them.

It's not the end of the AU basketball world. It's one road game, and those kids played their hearts out. Even with all the above going on....Auburn was very competitive. Coach Barbee has vastly improved this team and Chubb has taken a huge step forward. He's playing at the top of his abilities, so cut him some slack. He is what he is, but he has really worked hard and gotten so much better....so good on him.

So proud of the guys effort!! Was frustrated and elated as the game progressed. They never quit fighting!! Might they come out flat and get hammered by UK? Maybe, but I doubt it. Being an avid basketball fan I saw many things that I felt we should and will improve upon. I was an original Cliff Dweller in my time at AU and sat on the front row of the old wooden bleachers on the south end of the court opposite the band. Didn't miss a home game for 4 years. This is the most excited I have been about Auburn hoops since then. Even though the Doc and Mamadou days it always seemed fleeting. I had always liked Jeff Lebo but it became obvious that he just couldn't get it done with his hands tied the way they were. I now am a season ticket holder at UAB being that I live in Birmingham and have been very close to that athletic department since I was 11. That's 26 years. I got to see coach Barbee's teams every year he was at UTEP. I always hated him because his teams were just better than ours. I was thrilled when Auburn hired him and pray that he stays for along long time. We have a winner in the making folks. This is gonna be a fun ride.

Double OT at bud Walton against the best defense in the sec without 2 of our top scorers/ball handlers/athletes ... That is a good showing. I want the W but am proud of the tigers. Fatigue could have a small contribution to the FT and turnovers, although those need to improve.

Just wish we could replay a couple of those early L's

• 3 weeks later...

Is this the same Arky team that AU took to 2 OTs that has lead UF by as many as 25 points tonight?

Wanna talk about improvement and progress in a basketball program? State exhibit A in the "How to actually get better not worse" manual. :)

For the most part, every game is a new event and it's hard to compare the outcomes of teams against the same opponent.

In just over a week, Arky lost to USCe by a bunch and UF beat USCe holding them to less than 40 points and then Arky beats UF....go figure. :dunno:

Archived