TX A&M Game

DANSBY

No doubt about that. I had my trip mapped out for this year's AU-A&M game months in advance and it helped.

• Intercontinental is the best option for airports period, but if you're flying into Houston, it is better by several orders of magnitude than Hobby. If you don't want to pay jacked-up rates plus a two-night minimum in Bryan/College Station and you're coming from Houston, there may be places to stay in Hempstead or Navasota. Both are on Highway 6 and a straight shot to College Station. Navasota is about 20 miles from CS and Hempstead is about 40-45. Navasota mirrors B/CS and has pretty expensive rates for run-of-the-mill motels on football weekends. Hempstead is less likely to jack rates up. Someone mentioned Huntsville and/or Conroe and those are workable options as well.

• If you're flying into Austin, the airport is on the SE side of town, so it's fairly conducive to getting on SH21 and heading toward CS. Brenham and/or Caldwell may have places available still that are closer to CS coming in from Austin.

• Unless you've got family there or no better options available, I wouldn't stay in the Temple/Belton/Killeen area.

• If you're flying into DFW, you'll definitely want to stay somewhere closer than that...on a game day, it's a minimum 3-3.5 hours drive time from anywhere in the Metroplex. Waco is about halfway in between, but Baylor is at home that weekend and rooms may be limited. Hearne may have motel rooms available, but they'll be "football weekend" expensive like Navasota.

Not to make this political by any stretch, but if you're a history buff at all, the George W. Bush library is worth a tour if you have time. Midnight yell practice at Kyle Field is pretty self-explanatory. If you get on campus early enough on game day and want to see some things that make A&M unique, go check out the Bonfire Memorial and go watch march-in (usually 90 minutes before kickoff). The tailgating scene has improved dramatically in recent years. As far as watering holes, there is, of course, the regionally famous Dixie Chicken, but there are other options as well and, as stated, it will be crowded everywhere along Northgate. There are also eating establishments mixed in with the bars...Freebirds and Fitzwilly's to name a couple that are within walking/stumbling distance.

I plan on being there even if I don't already have a ticket in hand.

No doubt about that. I had my trip mapped out for this year's AU-A&M game months in advance and it helped.

• Intercontinental is the best option for airports period, but if you're flying into Houston, it is better by several orders of magnitude than Hobby. If you don't want to pay jacked-up rates plus a two-night minimum in Bryan/College Station and you're coming from Houston, there may be places to stay in Hempstead or Navasota. Both are on Highway 6 and a straight shot to College Station. Navasota is about 20 miles from CS and Hempstead is about 40-45. Navasota mirrors B/CS and has pretty expensive rates for run-of-the-mill motels on football weekends. Hempstead is less likely to jack rates up. Someone mentioned Huntsville and/or Conroe and those are workable options as well.

• If you're flying into Austin, the airport is on the SE side of town, so it's fairly conducive to getting on SH21 and heading toward CS. Brenham and/or Caldwell may have places available still that are closer to CS coming in from Austin.

• Unless you've got family there or no better options available, I wouldn't stay in the Temple/Belton/Killeen area.

• If you're flying into DFW, you'll definitely want to stay somewhere closer than that...on a game day, it's a minimum 3-3.5 hours drive time from anywhere in the Metroplex. Waco is about halfway in between, but Baylor is at home that weekend and rooms may be limited. Hearne may have motel rooms available, but they'll be "football weekend" expensive like Navasota.

Not to make this political by any stretch, but if you're a history buff at all, the George W. Bush library is worth a tour if you have time. Midnight yell practice at Kyle Field is pretty self-explanatory. If you get on campus early enough on game day and want to see some things that make A&M unique, go check out the Bonfire Memorial and go watch march-in (usually 90 minutes before kickoff). The tailgating scene has improved dramatically in recent years. As far as watering holes, there is, of course, the regionally famous Dixie Chicken, but there are other options as well and, as stated, it will be crowded everywhere along Northgate. There are also eating establishments mixed in with the bars...Freebirds and Fitzwilly's to name a couple that are within walking/stumbling distance.

Great info, thanks! See you good people there....WDE!

Small but significant edit...the George H.W. Bush library is on TAMU's campus.

I'll be there. My brother and sister-in-law are aTm grads. We had planned to be in Auburn this year and work didn't allow me to make it.

I just booked rooms at the Hilton with my Diamond. Everything is sold out in CS as far as Hilton goes unless you are a Diamond. 35k points a night or $379.

All the Hilton properties were avaiable as a Diamond except the Homewood Suites.

You will need to go ahead and get hotels early. All in or near Bryan and College Station require 2 night stays for ball game weekends. You can get any food you want in the area (formal, casual, BBQ). Of course, TX is all about BEEF BBQ; you can find pork, but not everywhere. Campus is large; but doesn't feel that way. Not that different from Auburn in that the town around the campus is pretty small. Very different look than Auburn though. People are the friendliest in the US; yes, even more friendly than Auburn. Midnight Yell, etc., are worth doing...if you are coming out; you should do that...there were well over 45k at Midnight Yell last year before the Florida and LSU games; from both TAMU and Florida. As pointed out, Houston is much better if you are flying in and just interested in getting up to the game quickly..Austin next; then finally DFW. Tailgating is great...but of course, this is TX and just off campus you don't have the trees you have in Auburn...and in September/October; it is damn hot. Come prepared for the heat. Looking forward to having Auburn come to College Station....

I'll be there. My brother and sister-in-law are aTm grads. We had planned to be in Auburn this year and work didn't allow me to make it.

I just booked rooms at the Hilton with my Diamond. Everything is sold out in CS as far as Hilton goes unless you are a Diamond. 35k points a night or $379.

All the Hilton properties were avaiable as a Diamond except the Homewood Suites.

I dropped a cool $175 per night at the HoJo....can I come get some of that free breakfast from you?

Archived