Should my daughter join a sorority?

Richard78

My daughter starts at AU next fall and we're debating whether she should join a sorority. She will be going in from out of state with no one she knows. Does anyone have kids with experience with AU sororities who can give me some input here?

I don't have kids yet, but my wife did not join a sorority during our time at AU. But my cousin did. My cousin loves it, says it offers a great chance to meet new people, engage in service projects, and have a base of support. However, my wife does not regret not joining a sorority. She said from her point of view, the sororities are not so large at AU that you feel completely left out if you are not in one. She joined various other organizations (SGA, UPC, etc), met a lot of new friends, and loved her experience at AU. However, my wife did have some friends that attended AU at the same time she did (not from out of state). This may not help much, but I think it just depends on what is the best fit for your daughter.

War Eagle and Congratulations to you and your daughter!

My step-daughter will be AU bound this fall. I told her it was up to her to decide to join one or not and she should take her time to make the right decision either way. I also mentioned it would be OK for her not to be in one as well.

Will know more about this when she gets down there. I know some of her best HS friends will be joining one so we will see how it goes.

My daughter is a Junior and has been in a sorority since the Spring her Freshman year. She went down to Auburn not knowing anybody and we are from New Jersey. Unfortunately she didn't get to attend Camp War Eagle, so she used the 1st semester to decide which one she liked and fit in with the most. You will hear good and bad about all of them, basically it comes down to what group she likes and what she wants to get out of it if she decides to pledge. One good thing that they do is if the GPA falls below a certain number they have required study time in the library weekly.

We have two daughters with AU diplomas. Both remained independent I think they made more friends and had control of their own time. Just my two cents.

I have a daughter that is a Junior this year and has been in a sorority since she got there. It has been good for her especially since she moved off campus. It has go activities. On a campus the size of Auburn you can get lost i teh crowd pretty easy.

Not sure if the number have changed but the Greek population was about 20-25% of the student body during my time at AU (95-99). That said, there was plenty of opportunity to meet people and there are clubs for almost every flavor of interest at AU. I had several friends who joined sororities and they loved it, and I had several that didn't and they loved it too. I agree with Golf, have her give it a year, or at least a semester, and see if she can make connections before joining.

I was greek at Auburn (2003-2007). I loved it, but the great thing about Auburn is that you don't have to be greek.

Recruitment can be a bumpy road. But all the sororities at Auburn are great. I had several wonderful friends in my sorority, as well as friends in other sororities and some that weren't greek at all. I felt like no matter which sorority I ended up at, I could find some great friends. The sororities are so big that it's easy to find a group of friends that you feel comfortable with.

I was also involved with many other groups (choir, golf hostess, cheerleading, pharmacy club, and many many others). The important thing is to get involved. I enjoyed keeping busy, it made me feel like I knew what was going on around campus as well as helping me meet a sorts of people.

If she has any questions feel free to message me.

I was greek at Auburn (2003-2007). I loved it, but the great thing about Auburn is that you don't have to be greek.

Recruitment can be a bumpy road. But all the sororities at Auburn are great. I had several wonderful friends in my sorority, as well as friends in other sororities and some that weren't greek at all. I felt like no matter which sorority I ended up at, I could find some great friends. The sororities are so big that it's easy to find a group of friends that you feel comfortable with.

I was also involved with many other groups (choir, golf hostess, cheerleading, pharmacy club, and many many others). The important thing is to get involved. I enjoyed keeping busy, it made me feel like I knew what was going on around campus as well as helping me meet a sorts of people.

If she has any questions feel free to message me.

We did not have those in 1970.....................darn it.................

• 3 weeks later...

I would give it a year for her to decide and interact for the first year. That would give her a year to choice the right sorority if she decides to join one

I like this. As an AU frosh, I couldn't comprehend "having to pay to join an organization to make friends." Auburn was my hometown, though, and definite support systems were there. Rather than "go Greek," I went the campus ministry route and made lifetime memories that are still defining me today. The Auburn Wesley Foundation has a wonderful director who will "stretch you out of the box" when it comes to just about everything others-centered! At the time the Baptist Student Union (BSU), Auburn Christian Fellowship, and several others were very strong. We had multiple opportunities for local, state, regional, and overseas missions, and weekly study groups plus intramural sports and fellowship events (winter luau...fall hayrides...talent shows, etc.) kept us happily busy. Choir tours...student government...incredible leadership development took place. Best of success to her...lots of encouragement in whatever she puts her hand to the plow to try will be the best thing she can receive. I know you are so proud of her.

I would give it a year for her to decide and interact for the first year. That would give her a year to choice the right sorority if she decides to join one

I like this. As an AU frosh, I couldn't comprehend "having to pay to join an organization to make friends." Auburn was my hometown, though, and definite support systems were there. Rather than "go Greek," I went the campus ministry route and made lifetime memories that are still defining me today. The Auburn Wesley Foundation has a wonderful director who will "stretch you out of the box" when it comes to just about everything others-centered! At the time the Baptist Student Union (BSU), Auburn Christian Fellowship, and several others were very strong. We had multiple opportunities for local, state, regional, and overseas missions, and weekly study groups plus intramural sports and fellowship events (winter luau...fall hayrides...talent shows, etc.) kept us happily busy. Choir tours...student government...incredible leadership development took place. Best of success to her...lots of encouragement in whatever she puts her hand to the plow to try will be the best thing she can receive. I know you are so proud of her.

^^This^^ great post Tora

• 1 month later...

Recruitment can be very bumpy indeed, especially is your daughter goes into it unprepared. If she is even considering joining a sorority there are things she could be doing right now that will make the process easier for her. I am more than happy to help her if she has any questions. Just message me back

Archived