More Player Tweets and Pics About Workouts

Dr_AUTiger

When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

The bulls at LSU are held accountable for their actions or lack thereof....

574971_10151235659522912_1209276837_n.jpg

Woah where is that Phillip Marshall .gif when you need it!

I love this. Reminds me of when Coach Mike Tomlin first got to the Steelers. He was quick to point out any slackers in front of the team with practice film to prove it.

Very surprising to see Spencer Ware, Montgomery, and a few players we recruited hard.

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regardless of what the former staff allowed/tolerated regarding S&C, that should not have prevented the players from having enough self-motivation to want to workout on their own. Last year wasn't the first year they got man-handled on the football field. At some point a player has to want to give 110% to get bigger, stronger, faster, better.

Yoxall was at AU a long time - he didn't always have poor results.

^^^ This. I have thought the same thing. Self-motivation goes a long way.

Due to NCAA regulations, a coaching staff has limited access to their players. At some point it's up to the individual player to drag his ass up and work hard for his team.

All it takes is a few players that will show leadership and hold his fellow players accountable. I'd hate like hell to be the only player that didn't show up for voluntary workouts with my team or my position group in the off-season. I'd be afraid they'd flush my head down a toliet or worse. Creative peer pressure that's used in a constructive/positive manner can be a great thing for a young person.

Not trying to point you out in particular but with all the talk of S&C it begs to wonder if the kids THOUGHT they were working hard? Maybe the workouts they'd been doing in the past was all they thought that was needed for playing at a championship level. I mean after 2010 we were left with a dearth of upperclassman leadership. I'm certain that anything Yox did with them was more strenuous than anything they'd done before in HS. No senior leaders were there to let them know that what they were doing wouldn't cut it come fall practice.

Regardless of what the former staff allowed/tolerated regarding S&C, that should not have prevented the players from having enough self-motivation to want to workout on their own. Last year wasn't the first year they got man-handled on the football field. At some point a player has to want to give 110% to get bigger, stronger, faster, better.

Yoxall was at AU a long time - he didn't always have pathetic results.

+1

Florence needs a gal of muscle milk every hour..all our guys do except for JDOZER... we need a whole new mindset on the plains about lifting and the edge it gives u..

It is odd that people are saying the players did what was asked of them and that the coaches are the excuse, yet numerous players have a gym membership in town and worked out there the last few years. Granted the girls are a reason, but to say the players were being lazy does not fly with me. There is so much more that none of us will ever know, the fact that yox still does not have a job says something IMO.

and Lutz already said there is no truth to workouts being optional, let it go.

Yox not having a job tells me nothing and to draw a conclusion based on that is absurd

Then go back and look at how our players performed in the strength portion of the pro combines over the years. Before someone writes that those numbers do not matter let me write this: the pros would not spend countless thosands of dollars testing if they felt it did not matter. Yox was a GREAT conditioning coach. He was a poor strength coach. The players loved and feared him, taking away his authority was a bad mistake.

"spend countless thousands of dollars of testing"??? on what? What does it cost to watch a kid do bench press reps? Listen bud, strength is important in any sport but its no panacea and strength alone will not win games. Its such an asinine over-simplification to state or otherwise imply that Yox is at the bottom of Auburn's problems. If thats what you insist on believing, no problem, buts its simply not factual no matter how much you want to believe it is. Every bit of this Yox is a bum crap emerged when it was noted that he doesn't care about the bench press but is more of a core and lower body strength guy. Everybody seems to desperately need a goat and Yox is handy...let the bashing resume. More than anything my objection to your post was trying to justify your assessment by pointing out that Yox is unemployed...again, that tells me NOTHING and to attempt to either draw a conclusion or justify your point of view with that is absurd!

It is odd that people are saying the players did what was asked of them and that the coaches are the excuse, yet numerous players have a gym membership in town and worked out there the last few years. Granted the girls are a reason, but to say the players were being lazy does not fly with me. There is so much more that none of us will ever know, the fact that yox still does not have a job says something IMO.

Yox not having a job tells me nothing and to draw a conclusion based on that is absurd

Then go back and look at how our players performed in the strength portion of the pro combines over the years. Before someone writes that those numbers do not matter let me write this: the pros would not spend countless thosands of dollars testing if they felt it did not matter. Yox was a GREAT conditioning coach. He was a poor strength coach. The players loved and feared him, taking away his authority was a bad mistake.

"spend countless thousands of dollars of testing"??? on what? What does it cost to watch a kid do bench press reps? Listen bud, strength is important in any sport but its no panacea and strength alone will not win games. Its such an asinine over-simplification to state or otherwise imply that Yox is at the bottom of Auburn's problems. If thats what you insist on believing, no problem, buts its simply not factual no matter how much you want to believe it is. Every bit of this Yox is a bum crap emerged when it was noted that he doesn't care about the bench press but is more of a core and lower body strength guy. Everybody seems to desperately need a goat and Yox is handy...let the bashing resume. More than anything my objection to your post was trying to justify your assessment by pointing out that Yox is unemployed...again, that tells me NOTHING and to attempt to either draw a conclusion or justify your point of view with that is absurd!

+

We all want to see changes and this thread has been an interesting insight into how those changes are being introduced .

However, some here seem fixated on attaching blame for last year.

That whole staff including some dedicated professionalmen paid for that and are gone.

Respect to those who worked hard and tried to do the right thing. Our current staff is also a a group of pros

who understand the changes needed to be made in culture and personnel . Unless you get a thrill reliving the joy of 2012

quit running them down. Let it be and let these players and coaches do what is necessary to fix it.

Two cents added.

We all want to see changes and this thread has been an interesting insight into how those changes are being introduced .

However, some here seem fixated on attaching blame for last year.

That whole staff including some dedicated professionalmen paid for that and are gone.

Respect to those who worked hard and tried to do the right thing. Our current staff is also a a group of pros

who understand the changes needed to be made in culture and personnel . Unless you get a thrill reliving the joy of 2012

quit running them down. Let it be and let these players and coaches do what is necessary to fix it.

Two cents added.

+1

what is absurd is you drawing a conclusion that i solely blame yox for the debacle. He was part of the problem as where the coaches, the Athletic support staff and the players. The fact that he does not have a job could be several things, he is not actively looking for one or he is no longer thought of as highly by others as he is by a fraction of our fanbase. Gus seemed to think so as well, so I will go with his judgement over you.

He is on the cutting edge in the strength and conditioning profession, and is a high-tempo, high-energy guy who fits well with our philosophy," Malzahn said. "He’s worked with very successful football programs and knows what it takes to get the most out of his athletes.”

I think that part is very important.

what is absurd is you drawing a conclusion that i solely blame yox for the debacle. He was part of the problem as where the coaches, the Athletic support staff and the players. The fact that he does not have a job could be several things, he is not actively looking for one or he is no longer thought of as highly by others as he is by a fraction of our fanbase. Gus seemed to think so as well, so I will go with his judgement over you.

LOL good for you! Gus put together his own staff..its what HCs do. The fact that he didn't hire Yox has little to nothing to do with whether or not he's a qualified guy. You g'head and persist in being misguided and justify it however makes you feel best. You most definitely implied that Yox was at the bottom of the problem by asserting "the fact that Yox still does not have a job says something IMO" it says something in mine too...it says he doesn't have a job but it doesn't tell me nor you why he doesn't have a job. Coaching is not unlike any other business..a lot of it is relationships and politics. Yox not having a job at this point in time has no bearing on his capabilities as a S&C Coach but you implied that it does.Sorry, you couldn't be more misguided or plainly wrong...carry on!

The proof is in the pudding...these guys have until September to really hit the S&C. Hopefully, when the season starts we should see a noticeable difference, physique-wise, with the players coming back (i.e. Florence). We should see the difference in freshmen as the year progresses.

The proof is in the pudding...these guys have until September to really hit the S&C. Hopefully, when the season starts we should see a noticeable difference, physique-wise, with the players coming back (i.e. Florence). We should see the difference in freshmen as the year progresses.

Personally, I dont expect that..we'll see. it seems the general consensus is that Yox wasn't doing anything. I say that because there is such high expectations from the new guy. I think most of these Yox haters are going to heap praise on the new guy as soon as they get reliable confirmation that he has them bench pressing.

Agreed, but actually, I'm more interested in the mental side. IMO that's more important. It's also a precursor to the success of all facets of the game. These kids need some confidence built back BIGTIME. I'm ecstatic we have so many experienced player development coaches on the D side of the ball.

Agreed, but actually, I'm more interested in the mental side. IMO that's more important. It's also a precursor to the success of all facets of the game. These kids need some confidence built back BIGTIME. I'm ecstatic we have so many experienced player development coaches on the D side of the ball.

AMEN!

I wonder if Jacobs/Malzhan will hire a group of motivational speakers/psychologists, etc. to come in and work with our players? Teach them how to use their mind, teach them how to handle adversity and how to channel their energy in a positive/productive way.

I have a teenager that runs on the high school Cross Country team. She has told me for years that the mind will give up and quit long before the body. It's mind over matter and the mind of a superior athlete needs to be trained just like the body.

I'm not saying we (AU) need to copy or impliment techniques that the turds across the state use in their program. But if it makes a mentally stronger athlete, then I at least hope that someone considers it for the future.

Florence looks like he hasn't touched a weight in 2 years...

Played basketball with him a year ago... Dude is small but ripped. I don't think the angle of the picture does him any favors.

I get what you are saying, but hearing that a D1 safety is "small but ripped" isn't going to cut it. I want to hear, "dear GOD that guy looks like a freakin' professional wrestler....AU's players are clearly on steroids!!!"

Robinson who was All-SEC and maybe ALL-AM back in the early 90's didn't look like a pro wrestler (he wasn't weak though) Safeties have to be fast and too much bulk can slow 'em down. You want to do strength training, not bulking up training that body builders do-most of them aren't that strong in comparison to their size.

Said the gentleman that would never be mistaken for a body-builder...(just joking man, I promise!)

It takes commitment.. how committed are the players? .UA is producing animals and whatever's goin on there needs to be mimicked. If im a head coach im on the phone witb Joe Defranco or Rob Orlando.Possibbly work with our SC coach to develop a unique program..But we need extreme work physically and mentally.. COMMITMENT

@IamAmbition98These workouts be hell.... but I'm glad I got em #GrindTime

Git r done.

It takes commitment.. how committed are the players? .UA is producing animals and whatever's goin on there needs to be mimicked. If im a head coach im on the phone witb Joe Defranco or Rob Orlando.Possibbly work with our SC coach to develop a unique program..But we need extreme work physically and mentally.. COMMITMENT

I hate to be a myth buster but the photos I saw yesterday of Rober Lester and Nico Johnson certainly defy this idea that bama is producing beasts.They were Sr Bowl weigh photos and neither of those guys had much definition and neither had anything remotel yresembling the physique of a beast!

I hate to be a myth buster but the photos I saw yesterday of Rober Lester and Nico Johnson certainly defy this idea that bama is producing beasts.They were Sr Bowl weigh photos and neither of those guys had much definition and neither had anything remotel yresembling the physique of a beast!

did you see dj fluker? He was 6'4" 355 and not fat. He was a run blocking beast, (although he got away with holding on most pass plays.)

Some of us missed our calling as S&C coaches....the players did what was asked of them, apparently workouts were not stressed by Chizik and his staff. The coaches failed the players by not holding them accountable to develop and become better football players. The blame lies completely at the feet of the coaches starting with Chizik.....it's ironic now they are hitting theses workouts and stressing how tough they are...why was this not the case last year? Maybe because it was optional..?

This may indeed be the case. But, at some point as an SEC football player when you continue to get embarrassed and physically dominated by the opponent across from you, wouldn't you pull up your damn boot straps and want kick their butt? If for no other reason than self-preservation and freakin pride.

I'm completely baffled by some of the rumors and innuendo throw out regarding our previous S&C habits.

Just time to move on and leave it in the past I guess. Hopefully Gus' new S&C guy knows what it takes to make an elite SEC specimen, 'cause that's exactly what our players have to face every week. When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it will take coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Some of us missed our calling as S&C coaches....the players did what was asked of them, apparently workouts were not stressed by Chizik and his staff. The coaches failed the players by not holding them accountable to develop and become better football players. The blame lies completely at the feet of the coaches starting with Chizik.....it's ironic now they are hitting theses workouts and stressing how tough they are...why was this not the case last year? Maybe because it was optional..?

This may indeed be the case. But, at some point as an SEC football player when you continue to get embarrassed and physically dominated by the opponent across from you, wouldn't you pull up your damn boot straps and want kick their butt? If for no other reason than self-preservation and freakin pride.

I'm completely baffled by some of the rumors and innuendo throw out regarding our previous S&C habits.

Just time to move on and leave it in the past I guess. Hopefully Gus' new S&C guy knows what it takes to make an elite SEC specimen, 'cause that's exactly what our players have to face every week. When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it takes coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Why can't everyone understand this? ^^^

Archived