More Player Tweets and Pics About Workouts

Dr_AUTiger

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of us missed our calling as S&C coaches....the players did what was asked of them, apparently workouts were not stressed by Chizik and his staff. The coaches failed the players by not holding them accountable to develop and become better football players. The blame lies completely at the feet of the coaches starting with Chizik.....it's ironic now they are hitting theses workouts and stressing how tough they are...why was this not the case last year? Maybe because it was optional..?

This may indeed be the case. But, at some point as an SEC football player when you continue to get embarrassed and physically dominated by the opponent across from you, wouldn't you pull up your damn boot straps and want kick their butt? If for no other reason than self-preservation and freakin pride.

I'm completely baffled by some of the rumors and innuendo throw out regarding our previous S&C habits.

Just time to move on and leave it in the past I guess. Hopefully Gus' new S&C guy knows what it takes to make an elite SEC specimen, 'cause that's exactly what our players have to face every week. When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it takes coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Perfect, agree 100%

Some of us missed our calling as S&C coaches....the players did what was asked of them, apparently workouts were not stressed by Chizik and his staff. The coaches failed the players by not holding them accountable to develop and become better football players. The blame lies completely at the feet of the coaches starting with Chizik.....it's ironic now they are hitting theses workouts and stressing how tough they are...why was this not the case last year? Maybe because it was optional..?

This may indeed be the case. But, at some point as an SEC football player when you continue to get embarrassed and physically dominated by the opponent across from you, wouldn't you pull up your damn boot straps and want kick their butt? If for no other reason than self-preservation and freakin pride.

I'm completely baffled by some of the rumors and innuendo throw out regarding our previous S&C habits.

Just time to move on and leave it in the past I guess. Hopefully Gus' new S&C guy knows what it takes to make an elite SEC specimen, 'cause that's exactly what our players have to face every week. When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it takes coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Why can't everyone understand this? ^^^

They haven't had the experiences and aren't old errr seasoned like you, me and Golf ? ;)

Logic just doesn't make sense to some people.

When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

The bulls at LSU are held accountable for their actions or lack thereof....

574971_10151235659522912_1209276837_n.jpg

for some reason this really hits me as being a seriously large "WOW!" ... this should also be in our weight room TODAY!

When bulls like UGA/LSU/UAT are across the line from you, you better be able to match strengths and go toe to toe for 4 qtrs.

for some reason this really hits me as being a seriously large "WOW!" ... this should also be in our weight room TODAY!

agreed, i think every S&C coach in the country should be doing this.

agreed, i think every S&C coach in the country should be doing this.

Or they could put up a pic of Jamarcus Russell....lol

No structure

No Leadership

No Coaching

No Success

Not Yox's fault. He fielded some tough, physical teams.

My hat's off to the guys like Tre Mason who I can look at and tell he busted his ass. Most do not.

By the way I'm not bashing on Gabe Wright but does he look a bit, well, over built in the stomach region?

Logic just doesn't make sense to some people.

Totally agree.

wde

It takes commitment.. how committed are the players? .UA is producing animals and whatever's goin on there needs to be mimicked. If im a head coach im on the phone witb Joe Defranco or Rob Orlando.Possibbly work with our SC coach to develop a unique program..But we need extreme work physically and mentally.. COMMITMENT

I hate to be a myth buster but the photos I saw yesterday of Rober Lester and Nico Johnson certainly defy this idea that bama is producing beasts.They were Sr Bowl weigh photos and neither of those guys had much definition and neither had anything remotel yresembling the physique of a beast!

And yet those two players are sitting around with two SEC Championship rings, and three BCS rings..... Does that mean it's more about the mental strength of a player than the physical strength?

It takes commitment.. how committed are the players? .UA is producing animals and whatever's goin on there needs to be mimicked. If im a head coach im on the phone witb Joe Defranco or Rob Orlando.Possibbly work with our SC coach to develop a unique program..But we need extreme work physically and mentally.. COMMITMENT

I hate to be a myth buster but the photos I saw yesterday of Rober Lester and Nico Johnson certainly defy this idea that bama is producing beasts.They were Sr Bowl weigh photos and neither of those guys had much definition and neither had anything remotel yresembling the physique of a beast!

And yet those two players are sitting around with two SEC Championship rings, and three BCS rings..... Does that mean it's more about the mental strength of a player than the physical strength?

It is a combination. At spuat you have a HC and his staff that totally expect nothing less than maximum effort, perfection and commitment both mentally and physically from every player on the team to achieve one goal.....win football games. That staff does not allow slacking from either a mental or physical standpoint. Our previous staff allowed weak mental attitude and physical toughness for at least 2 years.

wde

It is odd that people are saying the players did what was asked of them and that the coaches are the excuse, yet numerous players have a gym membership in town and worked out there the last few years. Granted the girls are a reason, but to say the players were being lazy does not fly with me. There is so much more that none of us will ever know, the fact that yox still does not have a job says something IMO.

and Lutz already said there is no truth to workouts being optional, let it go.

Yox not having a job tells me nothing and to draw a conclusion based on that is absurd

Then go back and look at how our players performed in the strength portion of the pro combines over the years. Before someone writes that those numbers do not matter let me write this: the pros would not spend countless thosands of dollars testing if they felt it did not matter. Yox was a GREAT conditioning coach. He was a poor strength coach. The players loved and feared him, taking away his authority was a bad mistake.

"spend countless thousands of dollars of testing"??? on what? What does it cost to watch a kid do bench press reps? Listen bud, strength is important in any sport but its no panacea and strength alone will not win games. Its such an asinine over-simplification to state or otherwise imply that Yox is at the bottom of Auburn's problems. If thats what you insist on believing, no problem, buts its simply not factual no matter how much you want to believe it is. Every bit of this Yox is a bum crap emerged when it was noted that he doesn't care about the bench press but is more of a core and lower body strength guy. Everybody seems to desperately need a goat and Yox is handy...let the bashing resume. More than anything my objection to your post was trying to justify your assessment by pointing out that Yox is unemployed...again, that tells me NOTHING and to attempt to either draw a conclusion or justify your point of view with that is absurd!

In the first place you need to learn how to read. I never wrote anything about Yox being unemployed. I never wrote that strength was a panacea, although I did imply that upper body strength is very important or the pro's would not spend so much time and money assessing upper body strength. I also never wrote that Yox was "at the bottom of Auburn's problems." I simply stated he was a poor strength coach. Further, if you believe the only cost associated with the bench press testing is the guy counting the reps then I am no longer wasting my precious time arguing with you. I guess you believe the players get to the combines for free, their lodging is free, they eat for free, setting up the equipment for the test is free??? Just in case you do not add any better than you read; these things combine to cost thousands of dollars. If they did not see the bench press test as very important they would drop it from the agenda.

AUIH1 , says, " At spuat you have a HC and his staff that totally expect nothing less than maximum effort, perfection and commitment both mentally and physically from every player on the team to achieve one goal.....win football games. That staff does not allow slacking from either a mental or physical standpoint. "

That should be our blueprint.

They haven't had the experiences and aren't old errr seasoned like you, me and Golf ? ;)

seasoned? That makes me feel younger.

As for workouts nothing better then lifting that case of beer daily to put in the beerator

+1

It is odd that people are saying the players did what was asked of them and that the coaches are the excuse, yet numerous players have a gym membership in town and worked out there the last few years. Granted the girls are a reason, but to say the players were being lazy does not fly with me. There is so much more that none of us will ever know, the fact that yox still does not have a job says something IMO.

and Lutz already said there is no truth to workouts being optional, let it go.

Lutz also says that Yox had his authority taken away. By whom and why is the big question. Bottom line, something has been terribly wrong with the football program's S&C at least since January 2011.

wde

I think that following the beating that Cam and Fairly put on our opponents in 2010, the other SEC schools petitioned Slive to institute a no-azz beating ban from AU players for two years. It worked...

From Chad Slade's Twitter - "Coach Russell is getting us right this year having my legs shaking just to walk"

Jaylon Denson - "The way my legs feel... Ill be dam if I walk to the Haley.."

I guess the leg workouts went well, that or they haven't done much for legs in a while... :-\

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it will take coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Iron Man you are spot on with this.The Marine DI is a great example of what it takes to motivate anyone. I went through Parris Island in 1958 after a less than auspicious start at AU in 1957,and I can tell you this, if we had that kind of atmosphere in our S&C program at AU the last few years or so, there would be no strength problems. The DIs pushed us way beyond our limits and it certainly paid off down the road. A lot of us would have quit, myself probably included, if we had the opportunity to do so but we didn't. Of course 1958 was a long time ago but I doubt anything has changed much even today. I guess this is why the Marines enjoy the reputation we have today. What you are saying is very true and I know that first hand. WDE!!!

If players could just do it on their own, we wouldn't need coaches would we. There will always be a handful of players that will "self motivate" but they are the exception. Most players are like most people, they will rationalize to themselves that they can cut a workout short, go a little lighter on this or that movement, or skip a workout and make up for it "tomorrow". It's just human nature, which of course is understood by the people who are in the business of getting results.

It takes coaches to push players to the limit the same way it takes Marine Drill Instructors to push Marines thru basic training. It takes years of a culture that will create more self motivators each year, before you get to a point that there are enough of them to put them in the majority and push the entire team. At that point you have created a tradition and it tends to feed on itself. Until then, for the same reason it takes personal trainers or drill instructors to get the best results, it will take coaches to push players beyond their limits.

Iron Man you are spot on with this.The Marine DI is a great example of what it takes to motivate anyone. I went through Parris Island in 1958 after a less than auspicious start at AU in 1957,and I can tell you this, if we had that kind of atmosphere in our S&C program at AU the last few years or so, there would be no strength problems. The DIs pushed us way beyond our limits and it certainly paid off down the road. A lot of us would have quit, myself probably included, if we had the opportunity to do so but we didn't. Of course 1958 was a long time ago but I doubt anything has changed much even today. I guess this is why the Marines enjoy the reputation we have today. What you are saying is very true and I know that first hand. WDE!!!

Yes you are right on. I am an ex-marathoner and I know first hand about self-motivation vs. outside "help". First, there is no one person to blame for the past culture, other than to say that Auburn has had for the past two years one of the worst "player assistance programs" in college fototball, which goes beyond just strength and conditioning. That is changing, and changing rapidly. But I tell you what I want to see; not tweets from Denson and Slade. I want to see tweets from the likes of Whitacer, Carter, Blackson, Wright, and all the other biggins about carrying their puke buckets around with them from one conditioning station to another. BTW, I find it interesting that these three quotes come from three "seasoned" posters. lol

Archived