a real dillema...

AUbirdie

i just thought about it. does it help auburn if alabama beats lsu this weekend? i think it does. say we beat georgia. do you think voters are going to give us more credit for beating a 6-4 bama team who just got beat by another top 25 team or beating a 7-3 bama team with two wins over top 25 teams. also a win would probably put bama in the top 25 and a lsu loss probably would only knock them to around 23 or 24. i think we will recieve more votes for beating three consecutive top 25 teams including one top ten, our cross-state rival, and the sec east champion than we would without bama being in the top 25. this situation is totally hypothetical and no i am not looking past the georgia game. so for all of you who want to say "WE PLAY GEORGIA THIS WEEKEND" just save your breath, but if you have thoughts about this scenario lets talk.

i just thought about it.  does it help auburn if alabama beats lsu this weekend?  i think it does.  say we beat georgia. do you think voters are going to give us more credit for beating a 6-4 bama team who just got beat by another top 25 team or beating a 7-3 bama team with two wins over top 25 teams. also a win would probably put bama in the top 25 and a lsu loss probably would only knock them to around 23 or 24.  i think we will recieve more votes for beating three consecutive top 25 teams including one top ten, our cross-state rival, and the sec east champion than we would without bama being in the top 25.  this situation is totally hypothetical and no i am not looking past the georgia game. so for all of you who want to say "WE PLAY GEORGIA THIS WEEKEND" just save your breath, but if you have thoughts about this scenario lets talk.

120767[/snapback]

Yes, we do. In order to scratch and claw our way into the top 2, we need every one of our opponents to look as good as possible.

As much as it pains me to say this: we need the Tahd to win this weekend. :puke:

Any time, any sport, any situation, it's a good day when bammer loses.  Why do I have to keep repeating that!!!!!

120768[/snapback]

i agree, HATE is not a strong enough word for what i feel for alabama. i absolutely despise everything about tuscaloosa. but i also LOVE auburn and think that i am knowledgeable enough about football and the bcs and how it works to know that an alabama victory has the potential to help us win a national championship. if you dont think that is the ultimate goal of college football and you would be just as happy with an undefeated season and a sugar bowl victory and a #2 final ranking then you are just kidding yourself. i wont pull for alabama but i wont pull against them either.

I really do think right now AU is battling for perception. How will the voters look at AU with their given body of work? Does it help AU if bama wins saturday combined with the assumed win over the tide next week? Possibly...one thing is for sure...it DEFINITELY doesnt hurt. And LSU winning saturday doesnt help. Not at all. I know you are going to say that as far as SOS goes...you play both schools. But right now, again, its all about perception. AU scored big points with voters when they beat LSU. But we now see LSU isnt all that...but the voting damage is done and AU benifitted from it. Fast forward to now. If AU beats a UA team coming off of a HUGE road win and has won 4 out of its last 5...AND RANKED...its a big deal.

Exactly. The best thing that could happen for us is for Bama to get ranked and come into the Iron Bowl in the Top 25, only to get knocked out the next week of course ;) So yes, it would be in our best intrest for Bama to win this weekend.

On a similar note, we need UT to win agains Vandy and UK also, so they are as highly ranked as possible going into the SECCG.

That other school up the road will win or lose regardless of my pulling for them or not. I have done things in my life that I am not proud of. It saddens me to confess that during my student days at Auburn I would hope Alabama would win except when they played us. Fortunately I have seen the light and will never pull for them again.

i agree that it sucks to pull for alabama but to not hope for them to win this weekend as an auburn fan is just plain ignorant. i am not knocking auburn fans but a lot of us are football illiterate when it comes to our role. i sit in the student section and it pisses me off when people are screaming when we are on offense and have their hands in their pockets when we are on defense. with an 87,000 seat stadium we should make a lot bigger impact on a game than we do. i watched the texas a&m v. oklahoma game last week and those fans know what they are doing. their crowd kept them in the game even when oklahoma started picking up steam by causing a couple of penalties and keeping the defense pumped.

I really do think right now AU is battling for perception. How will the voters look at AU with their given body of work? Does it help AU if bama wins saturday combined with the assumed win over the tide next week? Possibly...one thing is for sure...it DEFINITELY doesnt hurt. And LSU winning saturday doesnt help. Not at all. I know you are going to say that as far as SOS goes...you play both schools. But right now, again, its all about perception. AU scored big points with voters when they beat LSU. But we now see LSU isnt all that...but the voting damage is done and AU benifitted from it. Fast forward to now. If AU beats a UA team coming off of a HUGE road win and has won 4 out of its last 5...AND RANKED...its a big deal.

120775[/snapback]

Nice try BG but no cigar. That's like convincing me I should have voted for John Kerry :D

But I will make you a deal. You get Bama Delta to pull for Auburn this weekend and I will pull for bama. :big::big:

120775[/snapback]

Nice try BG but no cigar. That's like convincing me I should have voted for John Kerry :D

But I will make you a deal. You get Bama Delta to pull for Auburn this weekend and I will pull for bama. :big::big:

120789[/snapback]

boy you've really got him outsmarted there PT.

The human voters will probably be more impressed by us beating a Bama coming off a victory over LSU, since the AU/LSU game is distant history to them now. To the computers, a gain in SOS due to an extra Bama victory is countered by a loss in SOS due to an extra LSU defeat.

Personally, I don't think Bama having one more win or loss will make enough difference in the voting to jump us over either USC or OU. I think it's going to take a USC or OU loss, or crushing, dominating victories over Georgia & Tennessee for us to move up.

If nothing else, that sort of logic frees my heart to follow its usual desire, which is hoping Bama loses everything, every time, until I quit hearing about Bear Bryant and ancient national championships. [Alas, that won't happen in my lifetime, so I guess I'll go to my grave pulling against 'em.]

i just thought about it.  does it help auburn if alabama beats lsu this weekend?  i think it does.  say we beat georgia. do you think voters are going to give us more credit for beating a 6-4 bama team who just got beat by another top 25 team or beating a 7-3 bama team with two wins over top 25 teams. also a win would probably put bama in the top 25 and a lsu loss probably would only knock them to around 23 or 24.  i think we will recieve more votes for beating three consecutive top 25 teams including one top ten, our cross-state rival, and the sec east champion than we would without bama being in the top 25.  this situation is totally hypothetical and no i am not looking past the georgia game. so for all of you who want to say "WE PLAY GEORGIA THIS WEEKEND" just save your breath, but if you have thoughts about this scenario lets talk.

120767[/snapback]

Another reason why the BCS has screwed up the priorities of cfb fans everywhere. We've got posters on this board maintaining their own spreadsheets that calculate SOS & BCS rankings out to 7 decimal places & worrying about whether MSU's extra win over UF will be enough to increase AU's rankings. Now this ... if AU people don't root against LSU tomorrrow, then AU doesn't get the chance to play 3 ranked teams. {... :no: ...} I'll say this: getting all wrapped up over poll results and & BCS rankings is not what appeals to me when I watch a football game. GEAUX TIGERS! :au: WDE

120767[/snapback]

Another reason why the BCS has screwed up the priorities of cfb fans everywhere. We've got posters on this board maintaining their own spreadsheets that calculate SOS & BCS rankings out to 7 decimal places & worrying about whether MSU's extra win over UF will be enough to increase AU's rankings. Now this ... if AU people don't root against LSU tomorrrow, then AU doesn't get the chance to play 3 ranked teams. {... :no: ...} I'll say this: getting all wrapped up over poll results and & BCS rankings is not what appeals to me when I watch a football game. GEAUX TIGERS! :au: WDE

120817[/snapback]

GOOD POINT LOGGERHEAD! what it all boils down to is that the system must change. i am tired of trying to count points and predict what a computer is going to say about us. BCS = Bull Chit System

Forget all of the Four undefeateds from four different BcS conferences as a reason the BcS should go, I think the fact that Auburn fans are contemplating cheering for the tide is reason enough to eliminate the BcS. :no::no: Seriously I was thinking this same thing and came to the conclusion that I would much rather LSU win and have to hear more excuses about injuries and no QBs from the folks here in Tuscaloosa than to hear about Shula's second BIG <_< win of the season( come on Bama fans it was :msu: ) :headscratch: and how they have momentum and any other reason why they feel that they could beat us. And one more thing that just has me wondering, :lsu: is 6-2 right now with their 2 losses coming to :au: & :uga: . I know their wins have not been pretty, but honestly neither has Georgia's. If they were to finish the season 9-2 with a possible Cotton Bowl appearence that would be pretty good for a down year.

* :lsu: vs. :ua: = FSU vs. NC State

:ua::shoot: Forever and Always

I'd bet they would pull for us against OU if we played em this weekend.

120837[/snapback]

I stand corrected...I guess there are times I'd pull for Bama. It would be very bittersweet, but if you were playing Oklahoma or Southern Cal right now, I'd have to pull for you.

[...but then again, if that took us in the Orange Bowl & Title, I'd forever be hearing from my Bama friends how we couldn't earn a MNC without your help. :( Hmmm..would it be worth it? I guess so, but I'm glad we don't have to go there!]

Then you would just reply with this:

"UA couldnt have won any of theirs without AUs help...if AU didnt lose to UA in those seasons...no dice for the tide."

How's that? ;)

[...but then again, if that took us in the Orange Bowl & Title, I'd forever be hearing from my Bama friends how we couldn't earn a MNC without your help. ]

:big: Oh Yeah, you got that right!

Archived