Government Orders 7000 "Personal Defense Weapons."

AUGradinTX

Guess what kind they are.... you guessed it:

Personal Defense Weapons Solicitation

"This announcement is being placed in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) paragraph 5.207.  It is a combined synopsis/solicitation for commercial items.  5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense..."

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=d791b6aa0fd9d3d8833b2efa08300033&tab=core&_cview=0

Suitable for personal defense. Just not for you and me.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what kind they are.... you guessed it:

Personal Defense Weapons Solicitation

"This announcement is being placed in accordance with the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) paragraph 5.207.  It is a combined synopsis/solicitation for commercial items.  5.56x45mm NATO, select-fire firearm suitable for personal defense..."

https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=d791b6aa0fd9d3d8833b2efa08300033&tab=core&_cview=0

Suitable for personal defense. Just not for you and me.

It looks like a request for the ICE according to:

https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=897a494162e71db662d3981b61e807dd

ICE is a law enforcement agency. I'm perfectly OK with their use in a law enforcement setting.

So when I buy one it's "an assault weapon". When ICE buys it, it's a "personal defense weapon". Got it.

I guess it depends on your definition of "personal defense weapon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_defense_weapon

So when I buy one it's "an assault weapon". When ICE buys it, it's a "personal defense weapon". Got it.

http://en.wikipedia...._defense_weapon

Scary looking semi auto weapon.

250px-H%26K_MP7.jpg

That MP7 is capable of automatic fire.

Just proves the point about the definition. Thank you big G!

Well, the phrasing is a bit confusing. But I haven't gotten the point. Would you mind elaborating?

Instead of Guns call them - Situational Adjusters -.

?

Still not getting it.

http://en.wikipedia...._defense_weapon

Scary looking semi auto weapon.

250px-H%26K_MP7.jpg

That MP7 is capable of automatic fire.

Semi auto PDW FN PS90

FN3848950460_1.jpg

Semi auto PDW FN PS90

FN3848950460_1.jpg

Not classed as a PDW.

The standard selective fire P90 is restricted to military and law enforcement customers, but since 2005, a semi-automatic carbine version has been offered to civilian shooters as the PS90.

Well, the phrasing is a bit confusing. But I haven't gotten the point. Would you mind elaborating?

Proves that giving a weapon a name based on its ability to kill is stupid. They all kill/assault and therefore even the government can't decide what to call them because of the common debate right now with guns. Political correctness is outdated and silly. ;)

Proves that giving a weapon a name based on its ability to kill is stupid. They all kill/assault and therefore even the government can't decide what to call them because of the common debate right now with guns. Political correctness is outdated and silly. ;)/>

Well, a weapon is considered a PDW because of the criteria it meets regarding action, length, caliber, etc., not based on how they kill. The legal term assault weapons is an entirely different term, and most PDW's fall under that legal definition according to the expired assault weapons ban. I happen to favor reinstating the expired ban.

here is a question someone can research. of the last 3 or 4 mass shootings that used the guns that were banned prior to 2004, were the guns manufactured and or purchased after the ban was lifted?

here is a question someone can research. of the last 3 or 4 mass shootings that used the guns that were banned prior to 2004, were the guns manufactured and or purchased after the ban was lifted?

Sandy Hook - Bushmaster XM-15 E2S .223 - 28 dead including shooter

My cursory search on Lanza's rifle hasn't been too successful as yet. At best, all I can say in answer to that is maybe, but probably not.

Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting - Springfield XD(M) semi-automatic handgun - 7 dead including shooter

No

Oikos University shooting - .45 semi-automatic handgun - 7 dead

No

Aurora - S&W MP-15 and Remington 870 Express - 12 dead

Yes on the rifle, no on the shotgun

Was the Bushmaster even used at Sandy Hook? The early reporting was that it was not used/stayed in the car. Only later it started being talked about. Does anyone know for sure?

According to Lt. Paul Vance, the long rifle was used.

http://www.ct.gov/despp/cwp/view.asp?Q=517284&A=4226

STATE OF CONNECTICUT

Department of Emergency Services &

Public Protection

Connecticut State Police

Public Information Office

1111 Country Club Road

Middletown, Connecticut 06457

860-685-8230

DESPP.Feedback

Reuben Bradford

Commissioner Colonel Danny R. Stebbins

Deputy Commissioner

Division of State Police

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

January 18, 2013

** UPDATE **

STATE POLICE IDENTIFY WEAPONS USED IN SANDY HOOK INVESTIGATION;

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES

In previous press conferences, the Connecticut State Police clearly identified all of the weapons seized from the crime scene at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

To eliminate any confusion or misinformation, we will again describe and identify the weapons seized at the school crime scene.

Seized inside the school:

#1. Bushmaster .223 caliber-- model XM15-E2S rifle with high capacity 30 round magazine

#2. Glock 10 mm handgun

#3. Sig-Sauer P226 9mm handgun

Seized from suspect’s car in parking lot:

#4. Izhmash Canta-12 12 gauge Shotgun (seized from car in parking lot)

This case remains under investigation.

Lt. J. Paul Vance

It tough to pull the trigger when you have low frequency microwaves penetrating the skin. I'm just sayin'.

The ADS use high frequency microwaves. But you raise an interesting point. No matter which weapons you get you hands on, the armed forces always have better.

Sandy Hook - Bushmaster XM-15 E2S .223 - 28 dead including shooter

My cursory search on Lanza's rifle hasn't been too successful as yet. At best, all I can say in answer to that is maybe, but probably not.

Wisconsin Sikh Temple Shooting - Springfield XD(M) semi-automatic handgun - 7 dead including shooter

No

Oikos University shooting - .45 semi-automatic handgun - 7 dead

No

Aurora - S&W MP-15 and Remington 870 Express - 12 dead

Yes on the rifle, no on the shotgun

As we can see here....a ban won't do squat. Killers kill and they will find a weapon to kill with, no matter what type of ban there is. Lanza isn't the first mental case to steal a family members weapon and use it on others. Address the root cause of gun violence and there won't be a need for a ban.

As we can see here....a ban won't do squat. Killers kill and they will find a weapon to kill with, no matter what type of ban there is. Lanza isn't the first mental case to steal a family members weapon and use it on others. Address the root cause of gun violence and there won't be a need for a ban.

Well, you're correct. A nut will usually reach for the first thing available. But I disagree about a sensible manner of regulation having no effect. I actually liked the suggestion you put forth recently.

Well, you're correct. A nut will usually reach for the first thing available. But I disagree about a sensible manner of regulation having no effect. I actually liked the suggestion you put forth recently.

Wish sensible and politics went hand in hand.....

Wish sensible and politics went hand in hand.....

In all fairness, neither of us are politicians. This is really just what I think.

Alexava, I'm still kind of perusing teh interwebz for a proper answer to your question. I have found an interesting spreadsheet on MotherJones.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AswaDV9q95oZdG5fVGJTS25GQXhSTDFpZXE0RHhUdkE&type=view&gid=0&f=true&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Archived