2014 4* CB Stephen Roberts has FLIPPED FROM BAMA TO AUBURN!!!!

ellitor

So outside of Dre and Kareem (whom i dont consider absolute studs at this point) what CB's from UA has Saban sent to NFL that u would consider absolute studs. The discussion centered around why Roberts would head to UA over AU and it was based on Saban's pedigree in developing cb's yet I can only think of 3..since his arrival and that's Jackson, Arenas, and Dre. While AU has had Washington, McFadden, and Thorpe. With Powers, Lee and Rogers from years before. Sometimes perception is not always reality....Ellis Johnson, Harbison and Smith have tutored some pretty good cb's in there time as coaches as well...Roberts would have had access to some damn fine coaching at Auburn too, and his NFL chances would not be diminished by suiting up in the orange and blue..,

After tomorrow, when Milliner gets drafted, it will be 3 first round CB's in the last 4 drafts.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one is not over by any means. FWIW.

Nope. The coaches feel they an flip him.

You can't back off a kid in your backyard and nothing will be set in stone until this season has played out. We may be "in it" with many kids that would otherwise be deemed "for sure bammers".

This one is not over by any means. FWIW.

Nope. The coaches feel they an flip him.

You can't back off a kid in your backyard and nothing will be set in stone until this season has played out. We may be "in it" with many kids that would otherwise be deemed "for sure bammers".

"Ryan, this guy's in it to win it!"

Are we really talking about this? They have a much better track record and the head coach actually coaches the DBs. We cant compete with that. Plus we had one stud in the last 10 years and that was Rogers (that made took it to the NFL). We have a long ways to catch up, but not just on DBs. But that is what this thread is about and it is a slam dunk. That is why.

So outside of Dre and Kareem (whom i dont consider absolute studs at this point) what CB's from UA has Saban sent to NFL that u would consider absolute studs. The discussion centered around why Roberts would head to UA over AU and it was based on Saban's pedigree in developing cb's yet I can only think of 3..since his arrival and that's Jackson, Arenas, and Dre. While AU has had Washington, McFadden, and Thorpe. With Powers, Lee and Rogers from years before. Sometimes perception is not always reality....Ellis Johnson, Harbison and Smith have tutored some pretty good cb's in there time as coaches as well...Roberts would have had access to some damn fine coaching at Auburn too, and his NFL chances would not be diminished by suiting up in the orange and blue..,

In terms of current secondary players in the NFL, we don't hold water to uat.. THey have Arenas (2nd), Baron (1st), Harper(2nd), Jackson (1st), Johnson (3rd), Kirkpatrick (1st), Menzie (5th). We have Powers (3rd), Rogers (1st), Thorpe (?). Not to mention that powers was drafted 5 years ago and Rogers 9 years ago... McFadden was a 5th rounder and hasn't done jack in the NFL. I have no idea who you are referin to as Washington. Maybe I need to lay off the booze and let some brain cells regen. Thorpe is our only near recient guy and he was a late pickup or free agent guy...

I know we all want to believe we are on par with uat, but the hard facts are we are not. Our coaches did not do a good job developing talent over the last few years and it shows. I think moving forward we will do a much better job and be more on par with the uat's and thUGA's f the world.

I think if we play more as a unit/team and do the little thing correct, we will be fine. It may take a year or two to turn it fully around and be back in he national picture, but I think we have the correct coaches to do that.

Having said all that, the players we need are those that buy into what the coaches are doing. I don't think we need/want a bunch of 4* and 5* kids that are not goiong to be 100% AU/All In. Right now I feel it is almost more import to have the correct mix of attitudes on the team than it is to have high rankings recruits. One bad apple and all...

http://espn.go.com/b...ent-producers-2 I’ve always felt that it magnifies two things -- how efficient a school is at acquiring talent and how efficient it is at developing that talent.

Nobody in college football has been better in those two areas recently than Alabama, which just happens to own three of the past four national championships.

The past three NFL drafts underscore just how talented the Crimson Tide have been. They have had 20 players drafted over the past three years, including 10 first-rounders. In the top three rounds, they’ve produced 14 draft picks over the past three years.

Ten first-rounders is staggering. To put that number in perspective, only one other school in the SEC over the last three years (Florida) has produced more than three first-rounders. The Gators have had four.

With the first round of the 2013 NFL draft set for tonight, Alabama could see its total of first-rounders swell to 14 over the past four years. Cornerback Dee Milliner, offensive guard Chance Warmack, offensive tackle D.J. Fluker and running back Eddie Lacy are all projected to go in the first round.

We need to get our player development up to counter the NFL lure of bama

Ya have to get them to process them?!? As much as I HATE uat, the out recruit EVERYBODY over the past five years. Auburn is going to get there soon but they are the best right now....now I am going to throw up, upchuck, upchuck...

It's a great Mantra, but as long as he believes the Early Playing Time Myth and the NFL Pipeline (Reality) he will stay with UAt. Our chances lie with pointing out he is likely #3 in this class alone.

They can't get em all. They will get pick of the litter more times than not but theres kids out there that aint good enough to play for the little man that will end up in the league. We can't catch up with one prospect or in one year or one class. We got rid of the problem. The infection is gone now it's time to heal and kill baby. We have coaches that have developed talent and a lot of it. These coaches put guys in the league. We might be gone from the picture for now but we didn't go far. I hate losing more than anything. Especially to the updykes and especially a good db but Alabama has whipped our as lately and they've whipped it good. Those days are over. It's a new day. We know it, but we haven't proven it yet. We may not win a championship this year but they'll know... we coming. War Damn Eagle

It's a great Mantra, but as long as he believes the Early Playing Time Myth and the NFL Pipeline (Reality) he will stay with UAt. Our chances lie with pointing out he is likely #3 in this class alone.

I'm not sure trying to down play his talent will work by saying he would be #3. Auburn will have to sell the system, early playing time and family. Every kid at this level thinks they can be the best so telling him h would be third best would only drive him away.

I'm not sure trying to down play his talent will work by saying he would be #3. Auburn will have to sell the system, early playing time and family. Every kid at this level thinks they can be the best so telling him h would be third best would only drive him away.

You convince them that bammer thinks he is #3! Then sell him that he is #1 to us! Nobody said to tell him WE think he is #3.

Why would we even go after him, if he is not good enough to play for them? To play against the best you have to go after the best and then DEVELOP THEM.

Why would we even go after him, if he is not good enough to play for them? To play against the best you have to go after the best and then DEVELOP THEM.

Don't know why you say that first sentence. Bama offered and accepted a commitment so he is atleast good enough to compete to play for them.

Because he may be the best. He is plenty good enough. We can't tell the kid he is so good he would start at bammer, convince them bammer doesn't think so and show him some love

• 1 month later...

@GerryHam247: Alabama commit Stephen Roberts at Auburn camp -- not working out. https://t.co/bbZdKX1yCT

Makes you wonder why in the world he is even there.

@GerryHam247: Alabama commit Stephen Roberts at Auburn camp -- not working out. https://t.co/bbZdKX1yCT

Maybe reconsidering his decision? Maybe just in the area and wants to see what some of his peers are up to?

But then would you not think that he would compete to impress the AU coaches?

Maybe reconsidering his decision? Maybe just in the area and wants to see what some of his peers are up to?

He did not compete, only watched.

He did not compete, only watched.

That is what I was referring to. If somewhat interested, why would you go to just watch when you could be impressing the AU coaching staff.

Archived