One thing I'm reading a lot

sntemp

bearsdead you are not giving JC his propers. Tom's statement was a little strong, but not far off.

I saw at least 2 guys this weekend on espn and wherever that had him and leinert as the top 2 guys with the race wide open for heissman.

I really think he could go higher than the 5th round too. He is running a pro style offense to perfection at the moment while showing great vision and leadership skills as well as pinpoint accuracy. He's big and not real fast but not slow at all.

121573[/snapback]

he could possibly go higher than the fifth round but i do not think he is as good as leinert, rodgers, smith, or white as far as all around passing goes. he is as smart as any of these guys and can run an offense just as efficiently but where you start to see the seperation is on the deep ball. he doesnt take many shots down the feild and rarely completes one. that is really important for an nfl qb to do.

There is little if any chance that we will be as good of a team next year. We could be a very good team though.

121478[/snapback]

You really believe this, 88? AU has recruited pretty good over the last couple of years. Not to mention, backups on both sides of the ball got plenty of game experience this season and that right there will go a long way to making the transition from a rebuilding year to a "reloading" year. Yes ... losing JC, RB & CW is a big hit but our backups are all still pretty good and will only get better with more game experience. I don't see that much of a dropoff, except maybe at CB. I don't know if we have a suitable replacement for Rogers -- maybe David Irons if he comes back healthy from his knee surgery.

If we run the table and make it to Miami we will get to see Leinert against Campbell. I think Campbell will go pro with his size and arm. What would Jason's career numbers be if he had Borges for four years instead of learning a new offense every year. Campbell's ability to learn the offense multiple times shows he is a scholar of the game. Campbells ability to read the D this year has been wonderful thus far.

If we run the table and make it to Miami we will get to see Leinert against Campbell.  I think Campbell will go pro with his size and arm.  What would Jason's career numbers be if he had Borges for four years instead of learning a new offense every year.  Campbell's ability to learn the offense multiple times shows he is a scholar of the game.  Campbells ability to read the D this year has been wonderful thus far.

121652[/snapback]

But your post kind of makes your whole point mute. If Campbell learns offenses so well and is so great, why do have to imagine if Al Borges were around all 4 years?

Let me 1st say I like Campbell and supported him all 4 years even when he was swapping starting position with Leard. I supported him when half of the AU family didn't. Having said that....

Al Borges makes Campbell a great QB, he will make Cox a great QB also.

Watch, we might not be competing for a NC after 10 games next year ( i think we will be), but we will be equally as good as this year. I see no major drop off with this team.

The guys behind the starters have been getting so much playing time.

I mean for christ sakes some of our best defensive players aren't even starters, IE Groves, Gunn, McClover,

To the post about Borges obviously thinking Campbell is better, hogwash. No one in their right mind would start a Freshman over a senior who has started so many games and who has performed well. My guess is even if Cox was equally as good as Campbell no matter what Campbell would still be getting the starts and the reps. I'm sure you agree with that.

I think we are going to be much more of a passing team next year. With a qb (cox) who has had a year to sit on the side line and learn the offense and experienced receivers returning, I think we will see Borges really go all out on his passing repitoire. Cox may lead the league in passing yards. But that is just one man's opionion. Overall, I am really excited about next year, even more excited about this year, and totally busting about the future of Auburn fooball!

WDE!

If we run the table and make it to Miami we will get to see Leinert against Campbell.  I think Campbell will go pro with his size and arm.  What would Jason's career numbers be if he had Borges for four years instead of learning a new offense every year.  Campbell's ability to learn the offense multiple times shows he is a scholar of the game.  Campbells ability to read the D this year has been wonderful thus far.

121652[/snapback]

But your post kind of makes your whole point mute. If Campbell learns offenses so well and is so great, why do have to imagine if Al Borges were around all 4 years?

Let me 1st say I like Campbell and supported him all 4 years even when he was swapping starting position with Leard. I supported him when half of the AU family didn't.

correct me if i am wrong but campbell never swapped playing time with leard did he. i thought he redshirted during leard's senior year. i do remember him swapping out time with daniel cobb in 2001.

I think our schedule next year will be pretty good, guys. I know we swap UT for S.C., but we also swap La. Tech for Ga. Tech. Miss State will be better, LSU will be good(not great), UGA will be good, Bamma will be better. Arkansas will be about the same by the time we play them, maybe a bit better, ect. We still have to play SEC. Nothing for sure in our conference.

Cox is a better QB than Campbell.

121439[/snapback]

In your own words, sn, you said Cox is better than Campbell. That is what I took exception to. Cox has raw talent which needs to be cultivated. You then started backing up and said Borges can make Cox a better QB than Campbell. I'll agree with that and sincerely hope it happens. But being better is not a factor of physical ability, arm strength and/or passing ability. It's being able to read defenses and change plays at the line of scrimmage, and changing into the right play. Knowing when to throw the ball away and not throw into a bevy of defenders and getting intercepted. Being able to find that 2nd or 3rd receiver when the main target is covered. Clock management. This all comes from experience, which Cox does not have yet. So, and again IMO (in my opinion) Cox is not as good as Campbell at this point in time. The raw talent is there, and during spring and fall workouts, Cox should get all the reps and develop into a good QB. I would like nothing any better.

And to add, there wasn't a more harsh critic of Campbell as me for three years. I never thought he could be the QB that he's shown this year. Borges said that he's one of the best he's ever been around. I know Jason has been the on the field leader for 12 straight wins. And most of those convincingly. I'm sold. But if Cox steps up and becomes what I hope he can become, I'll be the happiest AU fan in Alabama.

jason learned the offenses of mazzone and nallsminger just fine, but a qb doesn't call the plays. he couldn't make up for their ineptitude. look at his numbers when petrino was here... and he was just a sophomore. every time he's had a decent coach, he's been all-sec caliber.

cox has shown ability, but he's not even in jason's weight class currently. sorry, he's just not. he could become that kind of qb, but there's a long way to go.

and there is NO WAY this team will be as good next year. it's crazy to think that. enjoy this year. soak it in b/c it's special. don't believe me? ask any lsu fan. are they good this year? yeah, very good. are they nearly as last year? not a chance. they had to replace a senior qb, their entire receiving corp, and some key defensive personnel. next year we lose one of the best qbs in auburn history, arguably the 2nd and 3rd best backs in school history (which is saying something), and some great defensive personnel especially in the secondary. it's going to incredibly difficult to replace those guys. i expect to compete for a spot in atlanta. beyond that is wishful thinking.

Folks, Campbell's greatest strength this year has been his ability to read defenses. He has moved us into the RIGHT play more times that Bama claims MNC's.

Cox will be good with a chance to as good as if not better than Campbell if Borges stays with us. But Campbell has turned to the QB we all thought he would be when he signed. And much of the credit is due to Borges' handling of him and installing confidence. Some NFL scouts say Campbell godd go in the second round. Pretty good since many were writing him off last year.

Archived