Our current state

A short time ago, in 2009 and 2010, Auburn athletics was going in the exact right direction. Football won the 2010 NC, basketball was on the bubble for the ncaa tournament and made a 1 seed in the NIT in 2009, and baseball was merely a game away from hosting a super regional. What I want to know is this: a lot of Auburn fans are upset with how our athletics program has started to be one of the worst it has ever been, and since many posters on this site have urged people to try and be optimistic and not so negative, what does Auburn need to do to get back on top? I know we've all talked about it all along this year, so really, what does Auburn need to do to become a force to be reckoned with every year in every sport in the SEC?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We (and by we I mean the people that have responsibility and authority in these areas) need to stop thinking that it's acceptable for any Auburn team to fail to make post season play. That's not such a huge demand.

If a coach has a solid record of success and has a bad year, ok, we'll go along with you for another year. If a coach of some team, take Pawloski for example, coaches a sport in which seven of the nation's top 12 teams are SEC teams and Auburn isn't one of those seven, if he's only made one short trip to post-season play in five years, it's time for that guy to hit the road. He should have been gone after last season.

Barbee should KNOW before next week that if he doesn't show vast improvement and take his team to at least the NIT next year, he's gone. Softball coach Tina Deese should know right now that if she can't win SOMETHING this year, she's gone.

Players get benched and cut from teams for low performance. For them there are no excuses, produce or get out. Coaches should be held to the same standard: Field a successful team or hit the road.

Auburn has the resources and has invested in the facilities to field top-notch teams. All we need is an AD that can identify coaches that know how to make use of the advantages AU provides for them.

I know this has been beaten to death but it all starts at the top. Jay Jacobs needs to be replaced. He hires these coaches so he should be just as responsible as they are for their poor performances. I don't know what is going on up at Auburn but it's simply a no brainer that this guy needs to go. Alumni say it, student body says it, etc... Some folks need to get a clue.

The problem is the PTB above Jay Jacobs see the money that he produces. With or without the winning season, we're the reason he's still here: it's because we support no matter what. Even if the teams are losing, I'm going to support the student-athletes playing on our teams. They CHOSE to come, to represent Auburn, and to give their all to be here. The coaches came (in most instances) for the money. That's why I (and I imagine most others) will continue to show up, to buy tickets, and support the teams.

The problem is the difficulty in showing displeasure in the results produced by coaching staff while still supporting the student-athletes. There's minimal way to do this without still spending the money. Since at the end of the day, collegiate athletics is a money-making venture, it doesn't matter as much to the PTB as it does to us that the teams win if the money still comes in. We're one of the most successful athletics programs in the country as far as profit is concerned, and that's with the product on the field/court/pool/gym going downhill.

Show me how to support the players, while showing my displeasure with the coaching, to the PTB and I will. GLADLY.

The problem is the PTB above Jay Jacobs see the money that he produces. With or without the winning season, we're the reason he's still here: it's because we support no matter what. Even if the teams are losing, I'm going to support the student-athletes playing on our teams. They CHOSE to come, to represent Auburn, and to give their all to be here. The coaches came (in most instances) for the money. That's why I (and I imagine most others) will continue to show up, to buy tickets, and support the teams.

The problem is the difficulty in showing displeasure in the results produced by coaching staff while still supporting the student-athletes. There's minimal way to do this without still spending the money. Since at the end of the day, collegiate athletics is a money-making venture, it doesn't matter as much to the PTB as it does to us that the teams win if the money still comes in. We're one of the most successful athletics programs in the country as far as profit is concerned, and that's with the product on the field/court/pool/gym going downhill.

Show me how to support the players, while showing my displeasure with the coaching, to the PTB and I will. GLADLY.

And here is the real problem. Just because he is keeping the athletic program in the "black" for now is not a proper indicator of the current state of the programs. Yeah they are still making money, but not to the degree that they could be making money. Morale is at an all time low on campus (I should know; I'm here for a few more months).

I'm 100% with Mikey on this one.

The contracts that JJ has signed with these coaches is dumbfounding. I won't say "negotiated" because the coaches have certainly ended up on the rosy side! Nobody was beating down the door for Chizik but he still got a $10MM buyout?! A nice raise would have been sufficient. 5 year contract with Barbee with the buyout at $3.5MM right now?! He hasn't even had a season over .500!!! Don't know what Pawloski's contract calls for but he's not getting the job done either.

As far as supporting the players but not the AD, go to the games and cheer, cheer, cheer but don't buy any merchandise, concessions or dine out while in AU. If local businesses (bookstores, restaurants, hotels, etc.) start feeling the pinch, the pressure to win will increase. If money continues to flow from your pocket while you are there, nothing will change.

Money certainly flows out of the fan's pockets. Two small cokes, one hot dog, one hamburger and two small bags of chips at the baseball game cost me $19 the other day. We won't even talk about concession prices at a basketball game!

All we can do is email President Gouge and express our opinions. I haven't tried emailing the BOT members, but at least some, maybe even all of them want wining sports programs at AU.

As noted, supporting the players without supporting the program is tricky. Like supporting the troops without supporting the war. It can be done, but it ain't simple to do.

The only thing (that I can think of) we can do to turn the PTB against JJ is to stop attending Auburn sporting events. Yes, it means not supporting the players, but what other way can we make things change while continuing to support them? Thoughts?

As if it can't get any worse. My friends were all up on the parking deck, and the cops rolled through and gave EVERYONE open container tickets, and everyone under 21 was also pegged with an MIP. Do they just not want fans to come to the game?

As if it can't get any worse. My friends were all up on the parking deck, and the cops rolled through and gave EVERYONE open container tickets, and everyone under 21 was also pegged with an MIP. Do they just not want fans to come to the game?

I normally wouldn't have much sympathy for you, but I guess to watch this team you probably do need to be torched.

I normally wouldn't have much sympathy for you, but I guess to watch this team you probably do need to be torched.

:thumbsup:

The only thing (that I can think of) we can do to turn the PTB against JJ is to stop attending Auburn sporting events. Yes, it means not supporting the players, but what other way can we make things change while continuing to support them? Thoughts?

That is the conclusion that I have come to as well.

I'm not happy about it, but I've figured that money

Turns heads the fastest.

This didn't affect me personally at the time. But my friend said they even ticketed the older guys and made them open their coolers and pour out all of the beer. They didn't just hit the college kids.

And here is the real problem. Just because he is keeping the athletic program in the "black" for now is not a proper indicator of the current state of the programs. Yeah they are still making money, but not to the degree that they could be making money. Morale is at an all time low on campus (I should know; I'm here for a few more months).

I agree with you entirely. What good is it to make money if you're known as the laughing stock of the conference? I'd rather be dealing with FSU-like $$ issues and be playing for BCS berths than what we're dealing with now. I just feel awful even contemplating not supporting the players who are agreeing to come with the intentions of helping to turn things around.

Dr. Gogue,

I assume you are aware of the latest decision by our Athletic Director, that is if you believe as I do that doing nothing (as usual) is actually a decision. Let me clarify by quoting Mr. Jacobs from last week. His “expectation is for our [basketball] program to show significant improvement under coach Barbee’s leadership.” He said he and Barbee will work together “to support our basketball program at the highest level.” All that after our Tigers wrapped up a 9-23 season with a first-round loss to Texas A&M in the Southeastern Conference tournament. They lost their last 10 games. It was Barbee’s third season at Auburn and the second with at least 20 losses in the $92 million Auburn Arena. Barbee’s contract runs through June 2017, and his buyout would have been $3 million if he was not retained. Six of his eight signees the first two seasons have left.

I highlight and bold because I'm screaming. This would be laughable if it wasn't my alma mater. Please do something today and quit sitting on your hands with this guy. Jay Jacobs loves Auburn, just as I do, I'm sure. But, just like me, he is so unbelievably under-qualified to run our athletic department.

Please stop the bleeding,

[POD] AU '88

Powder Springs, GA

By the way here's the latest from the good guys in the Auburn watchtower: http://www.nevertoyieldfoundation.com/2013/the-truth-is-often-unpopular/

This was my fourth letter in the last five months. The next one will reference the record of our current baseball coach. I do not believe Dr. Gogue has the energy, desire or intestinal fortitude to replace Jay Jacobs.

Dr. Gouge gave too long of a notice of his retirement. Once announced, he should have been gone within a month. No business, and don't think that a major university is not a business, should allow such a high ranking employee to continue to make long-term decisions that affect such a significant, high profile part of the business. Dr. Gouge is not such an exceptional president to a point that he is not replaceable. An interim would be better than a lame duck.

Dr. Gogue,

I assume you are aware of the latest decision by our Athletic Director, that is if you believe as I do that doing nothing (as usual) is actually a decision. Let me clarify by quoting Mr. Jacobs from last week. His “expectation is for our [basketball] program to show significant improvement under coach Barbee’s leadership.” He said he and Barbee will work together “to support our basketball program at the highest level.” All that after our Tigers wrapped up a 9-23 season with a first-round loss to Texas A&M in the Southeastern Conference tournament. They lost their last 10 games. It was Barbee’s third season at Auburn and the second with at least 20 losses in the $92 million Auburn Arena. Barbee’s contract runs through June 2017, and his buyout would have been $3 million if he was not retained. Six of his eight signees the first two seasons have left.

I highlight and bold because I'm screaming. This would be laughable if it wasn't my alma mater. Please do something today and quit sitting on your hands with this guy. Jay Jacobs loves Auburn, just as I do, I'm sure. But, just like me, he is so unbelievably under-qualified to run our athletic department.

[POD] AU '88

Powder Springs, GA

By the way here's the latest from the good guys in the Auburn watchtower: http://www.nevertoyieldfoundation.com/2013/the-truth-is-often-unpopular/

This was my fourth letter in the last five months. The next one will reference the record of our current baseball coach. I do not believe Dr. Gogue has the energy, desire or intestinal fortitude to replace Jay Jacobs.

Besides Auburn fans not showing up to games, I think this is the only way to get through to our President. But its hard for us to make an impact individually. I think something like this is better to be done collectively. Just like "Support Chick-Fil-A" day, I think we need to set up a day where all Auburn fans that demand a change in our AD flood the mailbox of President Gogue with "Fire Jay Jacobs" letters. What do you think?

Empty stands...a sure way to impress top recruits. Yeah...go with that one.

Dr. Gogue,

[POD] AU '88

Powder Springs, GA

Besides Auburn fans not showing up to games, I think this is the only way to get through to our President. But its hard for us to make an impact individually. I think something like this is better to be done collectively. Just like "Support Chick-Fil-A" day, I think we need to set up a day where all Auburn fans that demand a change in our AD flood the mailbox of President Gogue with "Fire Jay Jacobs" letters. What do you think?

Sounds good, but as I remember someone on here saying this past fall, these letters need to be hand-written. Otherwise Gogue will just send them to some office aide who will send back the typical "God bless and War Eagle". But if a big group LITERALLY stuffs his real mailbox as you suggest, it might work. It wouldn't do anything to possibly hurt recruiting either.

Recruiting under Pawloski isn't going anywhere anyway. On the rare occasions that one of his top signees isn't a certain lock to go the pro route instead of college, he figures out some way to keep them off the field.

I'll still attend my normal share of games, just to support the players. I'm also writing more then my share of letters to JJ concerning our (lack of) a baseball program.

Taking two out of three from aTm is not impossible, even in College Station. They are 5-4 in conference, but three of those wins came against UGa who may be worse that Auburn. Tigers need to take every series from here on out to get to 15 conference wins.

Empty stands...a sure way to impress top recruits. Yeah...go with that one.

So you say keep sending Auburn money and affect change exactly how? The fact Auburn is making money is the only thing JJ has on his side. Or should we just stick our heads in the sand and support being the worst athletic dept. in the SEC? You criticize every person who voices concern over being the worst, worst, in football, basketball, and baseball. What exactly do you think we should do to force change? I have yet to see you have any ideas on the situation.

If our ladies cannot come back against Drexel, we will lose 4 athletic events in one day: a softball game, the sec equestrian championship, a baseball game at the hands of our arch-rival, and a wnit game that ended the ladies' run in the wnit tournament and would end their season as well... The state of auburn athletics seems to be contagious now

If our ladies cannot come back against Drexel, we will lose 4 athletic events in one day: a softball game, the sec equestrian championship, a baseball game at the hands of our arch-rival, and a wnit game that ended the ladies' run in the wnit tournament and would end their season as well... The state of auburn athletics seems to be contagious now

Yeah....that makes sense.

Archived