2015 5* JUCO RB Jovon Robinson commits to AU!

McWeagle

Stephen A. Smith thought he was talking about AU's 2013 team. But what he said really applied to the Auburn football program:

"Auburn is scary because they just keep comin'. It's like Rocky Balboa, you know what I am sayin'? I mean, of course, he could have messed with Apollo Creed, and Apollo Creed kept knocking him down and beatin' up his face and making him look ugly, but HE WOULDN'T STAY DOWN. And that's what I'm seeing from Auburn, THEY WON'T STAY DOWN."

The Bammers wanted desperately to believe 2010 was the aberration, and 2008. 2009, 2011, and 2012 were the norm. They wanted to believe Auburn coaching controversies were the norm. Their memories were wiped of AU's success in 2004 in large part because deep in their hearts Auburn didn't win six in a row, Mike Shula lost four in a row--and they had excuses for Franchione's loss in 2002 and Saban's loss in 2007 (Shula's fault). They had long forgotten the Dye years. Auburn football was Barfield, Bowden, and Lowder. They laughed when Chizik selected spread offense guru Malzahn: Another spread guy? How did that Tommy Franklin work out?

The reality is 2012 was the aberration. Chizik had his issues, but recruiting was not one of them. Auburn is a football power in the SEC, and is only going to get better. We are already building not only a player pipeline but a coaching pipeline.

I had the great pleasure of attending Auburn from fall 1984 through spring 1990, and watching three SEC championships in a row.

We are on the cusp of another golden era. The competition is tougher, but so are we.

That's the danged truth. It's not just that Auburn has one great year and then 3-4 mediocre years. In the last decade, the Tigers have won 11 games or more four times, 9 games twice, and 8 games twice, a span that includes 3 SEC Championships, 1 National Championship, and another title game appearance...not to mention the fact that both NC game appearances came primarily due to the guy who is in charge of the football program right now, and who likely will be until he either retires or goes to the NFL (which I don't really anticipate happening any time soon).

Gus Malzahn gives a lot of reason to be optimistic about the future, that's for sure! :wareagle:

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Robinson coming back on board, could this possibly mean Roc gets redshirted next year?

I think so, unless one of our three gets hurt.

My guess is that Roc will not get red-shirted.

Why would Roc redshirt next year when Jovon won't be on campus until the end of this coming up season?

Water under the bridge but I'm not crazy about the writer's conclusory speculation that the former AU staff improperly influenced Jovon's grades way back when. Ineptness if not downright falsification by his HIGH SCHOOL administration has as much evidence behind it as any explanation, including forced resignations and outright coverups in Memphis. But Gene Chizik CAN'T receive any credit for assembling the staff that got this player from Tennessee interested in AU in the first place. Not a chance.

Anyway, War Damn Eagle Jovon!

If Kenny Irons and Nick Marshall had a baby, that baby would grow up to be Jovon Robinson. This young man is going to be sooooooo much fun to watch play. I love the style and attitude that he runs with

Jovon isn't playing for us until 2015 correct? Why would we redshirt Roc in 2014?

Well, I think grant, cap, and barber will eat up the carries next season. Unless one of them gets hurt, I don't see why we shouldnt redshirt roc for the 2014 season. Just like I think we should redshirt kerryon for the 2015 season.

Jovon isn't playing for us until 2015 correct? Why would we redshirt Roc in 2014?

Well, I think grant, cap, and barber will eat up the carries next season. Unless one of them gets hurt, I don't see why we shouldnt redshirt roc for the 2014 season. Just like I think we should redshirt kerryon for the 2015 season.

imo with the amount of guys we sub gus isn't going to red shirt a guy unless he just physically or mentally is ready....if a guy can contribute he will play

Anyone notice a certain resemblance to another pretty good Auburn running back in the photo that is in the AuburnSports.com article? Can you say Bo Jackson?

KA-BOOM!!!! Way to go Jovon !! I was really disappointed when we lost this kid a couple of years ago. Like I said on another thread, he has more moves than Bekin Van Lines. He truly could be the next Bo. I was a little bit concerned that bama might get him but I guess he wasn't into "business decisions". His commitment statement spoke volumes about his character. He thanked our coaches for their efforts during the recruiting process but also thanked the coaches from the other schools that recruited him. Nothing but class there. Welcome to the Plains and Running Back U Jovon. WDE!!!!

I really like Kerryon Johnson's reaction as well considering they play the same position.

I really like Kerryon Johnson's reaction as well considering they play the same position.

I did too.... Unfortunately there is only one football and I was wondering if that would deter Kerryon from auburn.

They are the perfect compliment to each other. Barber will be his main competition. I just watched his JC highlights and now I see what everyone was talking about. I liked him in HS, but he has improved since.

I dunno...the way out running game rolls over people, I think that any of the RBs are happy to be considered to be an Auburn RB regardless of how many touches they get. It's a strange feeling, but I feel like that group shares the glory pretty well. I think about CAP last year, coming in as a JUCO primary back and seeing Tre get the majority of the touches, and he never complained at all.

As much as we run the ball there are plenty of carries to go around! And injuries also play a role. I don't think KJ should be discouraged at all!

Also, KJ will be freshman while Robinson will be coming in as a junior, and if Robinson is as good as advertised he may well be one and done. Roc may be more impacted by his presence.

Robinson IS as good as advertised and he will only get better with our coaches and weight program. Kerryon will get a shot at RB but between him, Jovon, Peyton and Roc, at least one is getting left out and right now it seems most likely to be him. I think all four of them could start at 90% of the SEC schools anyway so I'm just thrilled to have so many weapons.

Now that Jovon has committed to us, I'm wondering who Eric Swinney will commit too.

Lol

Robinson IS as good as advertised and he will only get better with our coaches and weight program. Kerryon will get a shot at RB but between him, Jovon, Peyton and Roc, at least one is getting left out and right now it seems most likely to be him. I think all four of them could start at 90% of the SEC schools anyway so I'm just thrilled to have so many weapons.

I can't agree with this. Kerryon still has another year of HS football to play. No telling how much better he will get playing next year. Secondly, RB's get hit hard and take difficult falls in practice and during games. More than one RB can get hurt in a short period of time. IMO, we may need all the backs we have.

HS Freshman aren't in direct competition with JUCOs, who are upperclassmen. Two years will separate KJ from JR and if KJ takes a redshirt it will be three. KJ's competition will come from Thomas, Barber, Pettway and any RBs we sign in the class after him.

They are the perfect compliment to each other. Barber will be his main competition. I just watched his JC highlights and now I see what everyone was talking about. I liked him in HS, but he has improved since.

I agree very much with this. His JC highlights are even more impressive. He looks SEC ready to me now... Not so much is H.S.

Archived