2015 5* JUCO RB Jovon Robinson commits to AU!

McWeagle

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He would be the perfect FB to replace Eric Smith. He reminds me of Rodney Coe who we recruited in the last class. He is also a lot like Kenno Loyal and Beniquez Brown in this class. He is a powerful back in similarity to Ronnie Brown, but not nearly as fast.

Much better athlete than Smith and better lateral ability than Ronnie Brown.

I'm sure you guys are both qualified scouts, but I would be willing to bet that Ronnie Brown at that age wouldn't have blown Robinson out in a foot race.  Better lateral movement than Ronnie?  If you say so.

Look at both of them run. Ronnie is obviously a better overall back but lateral agility is not his strongest suit. His hands and straight line running are his strengths. JR has exceptional lateral agility...especially for his age.

I guess I just feel like it is unfair to compare Robinson to a proven 1st round draft pick when he is 16 years old.  I think that Jovon could potentially be just as fast and skillful overall when things are said and done.  Having said that, I think he probably won't be because we are comparing him to the # 2 draft pick from 2005.  If any back in this class is that good is yet to be determined.

He would be the perfect FB to replace Eric Smith. He reminds me of Rodney Coe who we recruited in the last class. He is also a lot like Kenno Loyal and Beniquez Brown in this class. He is a powerful back in similarity to Ronnie Brown, but not nearly as fast.

I'm sure you guys are both qualified scouts, but I would be willing to bet that Ronnie Brown at that age wouldn't have blown Robinson out in a foot race.  Better lateral movement than Ronnie?  If you say so.

I do agree that he is in another class than Eric Smith. 

I wasn't comparing him to Eric Smith. He reminds me more of Loyal and Beniquez Brown. He just looks the role of a FB than a traditional TB in our offense. We definitely need a FB. That's just my opinion of him.

Look at both of them run. Ronnie is obviously a better overall back but lateral agility is not his strongest suit. His hands and straight line running are his strengths. JR has exceptional lateral agility...especially for his age.

I guess I just feel like it is unfair to compare Robinson to a proven 1st round draft pick when he is 16 years old.  I think that Jovon could potentially be just as fast and skillful overall when things are said and done.  Having said that, I think he probably won't be because we are comparing him to the # 2 draft pick from 2005.  If any back in this class is that good is yet to be determined.

We are only talking about one skill between the 2 players. I was not comparing them on a grand scale. Ronnie Brown is better in every other way.

We are only talking about one skill between the 2 players. I was not comparing them on a grand scale. Ronnie Brown is better in every other way.

WHy?  That kid is 16.  Hope he isn't reading this.  I think he looks immensely talented and might be a GREAT back.

I do agree that he is in another class than Eric Smith. 

I wasn't comparing him to Eric Smith. He reminds me more of Loyal and Beniquez Brown. He just looks the role of a FB than a traditional TB in our offense. We definitely need a FB. That's just my opinion of him.

I'm sorry, I don't see him in the mold of Eric Smith. In my mind, he is a legit tailback. I'd hate to see that ability wasted being used as a FB.

i think the ronnie comparison is petty legit overall at this point, he is a hard nose runner that can pound the ball and he can break ankles when he cuts. he might not have game breaking speed but he is deff fast enough to be a true tb.He deff has the ability to average 4 yds a play. most games are won by the team who pounds the ball most of the game not just one play when somebody outruns everybody.(it does happen occasionally i know but you get my point) I think he would be a GREAT back here  

I think it is a legit comparison too, I just don't think it is fair to say how much better Ronnie is at everything except lateral movement.  The kid is a monster for a 16 year old.  Is he ready for the NFL?  No, not yet.

i totally agree with you. you cant judge a 16 year old against a stud nfl runningback. But he is a monster at the level he is at now. He rushed for over 2100 yds as a junior. that is pretty impressive!

i totally agree with you. you cant judge a 16 year old against a stud nfl runningback. But he is a monster at the level he is at now. He rushed for over 2100 yds as a junior. that is pretty impressive!

yup.

The Cadillac and RB comparisons will always be there. I'm sure the kid would appreciate it and would be flattered but even he would probably know better. All that bull mess aside, we need to sign him up.

You guys are completely missing the point. The original poster of this issue compared JR to RB. I was just saying that JR has better cut ability right now than RB ever has regardless if he is 16 or not. I did look at tape of RB as a dolphin to verify it. RB takes 2 or 3 steps to make a cut that JR makes in 1 cut and faster.

no i get what you are saying completely.i think the conversation started when someone stated the ronnie was better at everything else besides cutting ability.i was just saying that by the time he is a junior in college he could be just as good as RB was he is just too young to completely compare their games.  but i see what you are saying, his style of running is one cut and you can watch me run past you while you are standing there

We really do need to sign him up! does anybody know when he will commit?

Very Very soon.  The only thing that has kept things tight is KM.  I say we take JR and be done!  

D.J., if we are "sticking out" does that mean we are leading?

Yes... and I'll go out on a limb and say we will get him!  :-X 

:we:

Archived