Is our athletic department "too religious"?

DyeHardAllTheWay

It's a serious and deserving question to be posed. I think that we hear so much about hiring "men of God" and "men of character" at Auburn, and I think it's a little overwhelming and kind of cheesy at times. I remember this article from a while back, and I think it's pretty revealing:

http://www.thewizofodds.com/the_wiz_of_odds/2009/06/franklin-all-they-do-is-pray-at-auburn.html

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.

I'm serious about my Christian faith, but I don't believe "Christian" talk correlates much with good character. And in a state university, defining a program in those terms is way out of line. I could do with less cheesiness.

On the other hand, I also believe people should have a right to be open about their faith.

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.

Spot on.

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

I, for one, think it's refreshing that religion is a factor. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blind to the fact that we'd hire satan if he would win football games, and I don't mean Saban. I mean we would hire questionable character to win, I think. If 'Man of God' is a good way to describe someone, then I'm glad we use it as a descriptor. Call me old fashioned, but I think this country could use more "Men of God" in public settings. At least they have some sort of something guiding decisions being made. (Don't misconstrue that last sentence, please. Yes, we all make mistakes, but at least some of us try.)

Does it not bother you that factoring religion into hiring practices at a public institution is illegal?

Let's face it, "Christian" people live lots of different kinds of ways. I have my biases about which ones I can live with.... I get concerned when "Christian" is used to get people a friendly hearing, extra leash on the job, or public good will that's not available to others.

Why would you bring up a 4 year old article, two coaching staff's in arrears, to start a new controversial thread?

Isn't it odd that the article still applies through three coaching staffs? Makes you wonder if Auburn WOULD hire a less pious HC.

Why would you bring up a 4 year old article, two coaching staff's in arrears, to start a new controversial thread?

1) The article is as relevant, if not moreso now, as it was then. Jay Jacobs, who has made no secret of his Christian faith, still leads this atrocious program. And the hires he has made reflect that faith, which is why a 5–19 coach was chosen over several more qualified candidates, and why this year, an insider to the program that led several private Christian high schools, was chosen.

2) Why do you think we're on a message board? The whole purpose is to discuss controversial topics. There would be no need for a forum without them.

when you bring religion into the workplace....not all that happens will be good! It is against the law to discriminate based on religion...and sometimes the statements from those that be seem mighty religious...and some seem to wear it on their sleeves...

Does it not bother you that factoring religion into hiring practices at a public institution is illegal?

No!

Too religious? No, but tinkering on the edge.

I think Auburn as a whole (Lee County) but also in particular within the athletic department are constantly on the cusp of being overly conservative christian but it is also something that sets us apart in an odd way. Au does seem to hire a certain type of man but it works, besides,I believe the collective consciousness of the Auburn family would not accept anyone else. Right or wrong as it may or may not be we are not the Crimson turds and generally are very choosy about our coaches from a character and morality standpoint. Although the Bobby Petrino folks (I was one for a time) make me think otherwise but that is probably just a knee jerk reaction from our fall from glory plus we were really scorned as fans last season and were grasping for instant fix.

Sidenote - It's always good to have a genuine man of the faith like Chette Williams in the program.

Isn't it odd that the article still applies through three coaching staffs? Makes you wonder if Auburn WOULD hire a less pious HC.

For someone who professes the faith, you've posted 3 or 4 times in a way that leads me to wonder about your sincerity. Your cavalier use of the word "pious" is a big tell for me

Maybe not "ecumenical" enough?

While I don't mind that AU is seen as god friendly, I reject the idea that ONLY god fearing Christians are what constitutes a good "Auburn man ".

Come to learn, come to play football, come to be solid citizens. If that includes a strong Christian fellowship , fine. But it should not be first and foremost.

So, to answer the question ... yes, I think AU is a bit too religious.

No, but I think we have pushed the "Family" angle too much. How many recruits come in and their main reason for choosing AU is because it feels like "family". Weigh that against how many in recent years have said the main reason they want to come to AU is to win conference and national titles and I think that, possibly, we've gotten some kids that don't have that "edge" on them. They can all play ball but do they have that drive for excellence? Something I've been mulling over.

1) The article is as relevant, if not moreso now, as it was then. Jay Jacobs, who has made no secret of his Christian faith, still leads this atrocious program. And the hires he has made reflect that faith, which is why a 5–19 coach was chosen over several more qualified candidates, and why this year, an insider to the program that led several private Christian high schools, was chosen.

2) Why do you think we're on a message board? The whole purpose is to discuss controversial topics. There would be no need for a forum without them.

Hate to bring this up but 2010 was a pretty good year. And in the opinion of many here on this board, the ex high school coach was a pivotal reason why we won the a fore NC mentioned and why a certain 6'6" 250 lb QB came to AU. This being the second hire of a football coach of JJ's tenure and the top two candidates that I recall were CGM and Petrino. I am a devout Christian and have been for 18 years but I wanted Petrino over CGM because he is a proven winner, IMO. His character was in question but his record was not. I stand 100% behind the hiring of CGM, especially the Asst. coaching staff. Is CTB for the BBall team a Christian? What about our baseball coach? Woman's BBall? I will take a wait and see approach before call CGM a flop...

While I don't mind that AU is seen as god friendly, I reject the idea that ONLY god fearing Christians are what constitutes a good "Auburn man ".

Come to learn, come to play football, come to be solid citizens. If that includes a strong Christian fellowship , fine. But it should not be first and foremost.

Would you explain to me what being "a bit too religious" means?

It's a serious and deserving question to be posed. I think that we hear so much about hiring "men of God" and "men of character" at Auburn, and I think it's a little overwhelming and kind of cheesy at times. I remember this article from a while back, and I think it's pretty revealing:

http://www.thewizofo...-at-auburn.html

Some may say that, but has anyone ever failed to be hired or fired as a coach if they were not Christian enough? If they had, are there any EEOC complaints against the athletic department and university?

I agree they should tone it down and I think they will under Gus.

Hearing Franklin complain about Auburn is a hoot. The guy just plain failed here.

This is pretty much where I land on the issue. Well said Raptor.

Would you explain to me what being "a bit too religious" means?

I know it rubbed some Oregon fans the wrong way, when Chizik praised God, and then completely omitted the opposing team for their fine effort. It was seen as if God allowed Auburn to win because we were on HIS side. But the greater point is, being religious is all well and good, but if that DOESN'T happen to be your primary public persona, or all you really want to do on Auburn time is play football and get an education, why must you also be forced to get religious indoctrination, or take part in prayers while on the field, in practice, after watching video tape, in the weight room, what ever ?

I expect that "moral character" is the criteria and not religion per se....and many times (but not always) religious participation is a part of the lives of those people. And being pragmatic...in the area of the US where we recruit religious involvement is probably viewed as a positive. I willing to hear some reasons why Auburn might suffer from having religious people in the Athletic Dept.

And making our opponents unhappy isnot a reason....JMO

Archived