Is our athletic department "too religious"?

DyeHardAllTheWay

The terms "Men of God" and "Men of character" are not synonymous. If character is being assessed in hirings, fine. If religious preferences, or lack of same are a factor, we're being stupid.

Totally agree.

wde

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it was overplayed a little. I am not a openly religious jesus freak. I am not offended by those who are, but it can be over the top if it is constantly pushed on people who are not ready for it or people who prefer it as personal and private. I am thinking it is being toned down a little, quietly.

Would you explain to me what being "a bit too religious" means?

I know it rubbed some Oregon fans the wrong way, when Chizik praised God, and then completely omitted the opposing team for their fine effort. It was seen as if God allowed Auburn to win because we were on HIS side. But the greater point is, being religious is all well and good, but if that DOESN'T happen to be your primary public persona, or all you really want to do on Auburn time is play football and get an education, why must you also be forced to get religious indoctrination, or take part in prayers while on the field, in practice, after watching video tape, in the weight room, what ever ?

When did Auburn begin forcing matters of faith on its players? I disagree with that assumption. Frankly, this isn't even a viable topic IMO. I don't judge people on matters of faith and have no problem with those who embrace their faith in being vocal about it. For the record, I'm not religious at all. I am a Christian and I do believe that Christian principles will serve anyone well in life. Sharing a way of life is not forcing it. Do you honestly believe those players who participated in prayer on the field were forced to do that? Good Lord..I sure hope not. I tend to believe they did that on their own.

This seems like a no win situation for whoever we are discussing. As a Christian, we are called to be a light in a darkened world and to share the gospel throughout the lands. If a coach lives by his faith, he should not hide it and share his beleifs with others. When they do this, others will consder it too religious. Others will be happy he is a "Man of God". On the flip side, if he doesn't share it, is he being true to his faith and doing as instructed? And people of faith will be upset, and those that think they should be quiet about their faith will be happy (as long as they are winnng :) ).

The way I come down on this, our nation has become more divisive over the last 10 -12 years than I have seen in 50+ years of living. We all feel we should classify someone on a category, black, white, gay, straght, christian, muslim, etc. We should judge (and yes, you are allowed to judge a person's actions, the Bible instructs us not to judge their heart) a person by their actions, their words, and their character, how they live their lives and treat those they come in contact with.

So in the end, I don't think if the staff openly expresses thier belief, than they are doing what they are called to do. If they were professing Christians, I would pray for them and hopefully, through the Grace of God, someone would bring them to Christ.

When did Auburn begin forcing matters of faith on its players? I disagree with that assumption. Frankly, this isn't even a viable topic IMO. I don't judge people on matters of faith and have no problem with those who embrace their faith in being vocal about it. For the record, I'm not religious at all. I am a Christian and I do believe that Christian principles will serve anyone well in life. Sharing a way of life is not forcing it. Do you honestly believe those players who participated in prayer on the field were forced to do that? Good Lord..I sure hope not. I tend to believe they did that on their own.

If the way of life is being shared, when it wasn't asked for in the first place, that's forcing.

And don't underestimate the power of peer pressure, or in wanting to make the coaches happy, and fall in line w/ the rest of the team. You want me to study and make my grades. Fine. You want me to bring it in practice , again and again. No problem. But don't expect me to take part in after practice rituals if I don't feel the need to do so.

It's really not that hard to comprehend.

If the way of life is being shared, when it wasn't asked for in the first place, that's forcing.

And don't underestimate the power of peer pressure, or in wanting to make the coaches happy, and fall in line w/ the rest of the team. You want me to study and make my grades. Fine. You want me to bring it in practice , again and again. No problem. But don't expect me to take part in after practice rituals if I don't feel the need to do so.

It's really not that hard to comprehend.

I'm sorry, you're mistaken about that. When its being shared..it can be accepted or ignored. Much ado about nothing here. I'm amazed how hell bent some people are to find points to criticize others about. Nobody is forced to do anything against their will. You people have cooked up some mighty strong manufactured anger over strictly hypothetical non-existent scenarios. If that's what makes you happy...carry on!

I'm sorry, you're mistaken about that. When its being shared..it can be accepted or ignored.

Not if it's a coach, or a head coach, doing the 'sharing'. Football players don't last too long when they ignore what the coaches tell them.

Much ado about nothing here. I'm amazed how hell bent some people are to find points to criticize others about. Nobody is forced to do anything against their will. You people have cooked up some mighty strong manufactured anger over strictly hypothetical non-existent scenarios. If that's what makes you happy...carry on!

" you people " ? All I did was respond to a thread on a message board.

Sheesh! :gofig:

All of us draw a line in the sand somewhere. I appreciate a religious influence in the AD mainly because a moral and ethical compass comes with it. I have an appreciation for JJ's faith, but he should not get a free pass because of it or give one to a HC because of theirs either.

I'm sorry, you're mistaken about that. When its being shared..it can be accepted or ignored.

Not if it's a coach, or a head coach, doing the 'sharing'. Football players don't last too long when they ignore what the coaches tell them.

Much ado about nothing here. I'm amazed how hell bent some people are to find points to criticize others about. Nobody is forced to do anything against their will. You people have cooked up some mighty strong manufactured anger over strictly hypothetical non-existent scenarios. If that's what makes you happy...carry on!

" you people " ? All I did was respond to a thread on a message board.

Sheesh! :gofig:

I apologize for that. I didn't mean that in a negative way. There were several that seemed to be getting fairly worked up about being forced to participate in religious ritual and my reference was to all of them. Sorry!

All of us draw a line in the sand somewhere. I appreciate a religious influence in the AD mainly because a moral and ethical compass comes with it. I have an appreciation for JJ's faith, but he should not get a free pass because of it or give one to a HC because of theirs either.

I don't believe anyone is getting a free pass because of their faith, obviously, I could be wrong but I just don't believe that's happening.

Heck, one might be able to make the case that , because of JJ's faith , and how it's displayed, could have something to do w/ the downward performance of the AD over all.

By all means we should avoid offending people. Our next coach should be an asexmual.multi-racial agnostic in a "committed relationship". That should keep everyone happy

whether the person can coach or not.

By all means we should avoid offending people. Our next coach should be an asexmual.multi-racial agnostic in a "committed relationship". That should keep everyone happy

Just make dang sure he aint a Christian....a'ight? :hellyeah:

Goddess bless you. ;)

It's a serious and deserving question to be posed. I think that we hear so much about hiring "men of God" and "men of character" at Auburn, and I think it's a little overwhelming and kind of cheesy at times. I remember this article from a while back, and I think it's pretty revealing:

http://www.thewizofo...-at-auburn.html

At the end of the day they are all people doing a job. The article used as reference used Tony Franklins comments. The idea of professing faith may seem cheesy to some, but for others to complain would appear like the ACLU . Hiring "men of God" and "men of character" is not an automatic pass for job performance.

The revealing part of the article was more so how Tony Franklin felt about coaches at Auburn during 2009.

"Not if it's a coach, or a head coach, doing the 'sharing'. Football players don't last too long when they ignore what the coaches tell them." So you believe that Auburn's coaching staff was making their personnel' PT decisions based on whether or not they accepted Christ? Please tell me you're kidding? or let me say it another way...you have got to be f****** kidding me?

I know it rubbed some Oregon fans the wrong way, when Chizik praised God, and then completely omitted the opposing team for their fine effort. It was seen as if God allowed Auburn to win because we were on HIS side. But the greater point is, being religious is all well and good, but if that DOESN'T happen to be your primary public persona, or all you really want to do on Auburn time is play football and get an education, why must you also be forced to get religious indoctrination, or take part in prayers while on the field, in practice, after watching video tape, in the weight room, what ever ?

Not to mention that those prayers are sectarian (Christian). So in effect you are essentially coercing people of different faiths as well as agnostics and ahiests to participate.

You are right on Raptor.

Right.

All the agnostics are going to walk away from the prayer huddle when it starts. That would really promote team unity! :-\

Auburn University Athletic Dept is not a Theocracy. Believe it or not, players are not shot or even burned at the stake if they choose not to participate in the faith shared not only by most Americans but also the one the Constitution of this country was based on! So rest easy folks, rest easy!

Right.

All the agnostics are going to walk away from the prayer huddle when it starts. That would really promote team unity! :-\

And there in is the issue. Bring everyone together, speak of unity, and then drop the 'Praise Jesus! ' lines on them.

Team should be about football first, and then , after those requirements are met, OFFER folks to join in, or go about their merry way, as they see fit.

Right.

And there in is the issue. Bring everyone together, speak of unity, and then drop the 'Praise Jesus! ' lines on them.

Team should be about football first, and then , after those requirements are met, OFFER folks to join in, or go about their merry way, as they see fit.

And in your opinion...the ayatollahs...er uh...the coaches at Auburn are keeping records and those who "go about their merry way" are spending their Saturdays watching the games from the sidelines?

Character and moral integrity are not mutually exclusive of being a great coach, as a matter of fact I would say they complement each other....Saban notwithstanding (whole different subject). Religiousness is also no guarantee of character or moral integrity. The Pharisees were very religious.

Archived