Punt Block Question

autiger6

I never got a clear defintion on the penalty for the punt block. I know Stan was saying that since it was an offensive play on 4th down the personal foul should have been tacked on resulting in a automatic first down.

Another question regarding rules is if you hand off to your running back and he sees that he is going to take a big loss why wouldn't the back throw the ball out of bounds resulting in a incomplete pass?

Here's my armchair QB interpretation. Probably way off base but since AUPCola isn't here to explain it, I'll give it a shot. :D

My understanding is that once the ball leaves the punters foot, possession changes hands. A touching by the receiving team down field makes it a live ball but a blocked punt is not in that category. I think it was still UGA's ball after Pollack blocked the kick, regardless of whether Bliss picked it up or not.

As for the running back throwing the ball, the risk you take is having blockers down field illegally when he throws it. May turn out being a bigger loss with the penalty.

The penalty happened out of bounds. Once the Auburn player was out of bounds short of the 1st down mark. The play was over, and it was UGA's ball. Then after the play is over, the UGA player fouled the Auburn player. That made it a dead ball penalty with the ball already in UGAs posession.

As for the running back throwing the ball, the risk you take is having blockers down field illegally when he throws it. May turn out being a bigger loss with the penalty.

That would be the case with the blockers down field. Although I have seen to many half back passes where the back either throws or takes a big loss when they can just dump it out of bounds. Thanks AUesquire I think your explanation made perfect since. :D I didn' get to watch the game and I never heard Stan or Rod come back and explain it.

Archived