Please tell me how this wasn't a PI.

Argo

PI or no PI?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. PI or no PI?

• PI
    • No PI

After further review, it appears to me that the uat receiver tripped backing up. No question that the defender had his hands on him, but there were hands both ways.

I disagree with some posters (and some radio call-ins) that it was a "horrible" call.

BUT

In real time, if I were the official, I WOULD HAVE CALLED PASS INTERFERENCE.

Later at home in my den watching tape, I would have said, "I'm not so sure". Overall, I think it was very close, but probably PI.

Now as to why I'm posting on this dead horse:

All year we've heard about the pluck and spunk and grit and determination and stick-to-it of this uat bunch. No question they have perservered through an unbelievable sh*tstorm.

I find it hard to believe one call, however wrong, could--especially should--collapse this gang. After all they've been through? After all the bragging of how steely, how strong-willed, how resolute they've supposedly been?

You can't have it both ways.

Just another in the long line of excuses for Bammer's losing ways in the new millenia.

And this from a team that, over the decades, has been the recipient of more "no calls" and favorable calls than any other team on the planet. It hurts when that karma comes back on you, doesn't it!!!!

Back during the "good ole days" you NEVER heard Th' Bahr complain about bad calls.....

because he NEVER got any bad calls.

Welcome, Bammers, to the SEC that the rest of us have had to deal with for decades!!!!

I'm not trying to get sympathy.  There is a thread where some said this was a good no call.  I didn't say it cost bama the game.  I'm not saying Bama would have won if they would have scored here.  I'm not trying to pick a fight.  I'm simply showing you guys why the bama fans are pissed about this call.  Had it been against AU, you guys would be pissed too. 

WarChinook, until an admin or mod tells me to leave, I'll be here all week, and a long time after that.  Get over it.

122007[/snapback]

i'm not asking you to excuse yourself from the board. i just find it amusing this subject as been brought up on other threads. i am only stating my opinion on this open board.

so you can get over it!

Mea culpa

SEC's Gaston admits official missed call in Alabama-LSU game

Posted: Monday November 15, 2004 6:33PM; Updated: Monday November 15, 2004 6:33PM

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) -- The Southeastern Conference's supervisor of officials said an LSU player should have been called for pass interference in a pivotal interception against Alabama.

Side judge Blake Parks didn't call a penalty when Corey Webster picked off a pass in the end zone after pushing down receiver Keith Brown early in the third quarter.

"Let's just report it as I'd rather it have been called," said Bobby Gaston, who oversees SEC officials.

With the Tide leading 10-6, Webster returned the interception to the LSU 44. Alabama wound up losing 26-10.

Gaston said that Parks' vision was obscured by Brown and he couldn't change position because he was responsible for goal line coverage.

"If you look at it, he's straight-lined and has a hard time seeing the push and he can't call something that he doesn't see," Gaston said. "With the mechanics [positioning] that we use, we should have gotten that play.

"It just so happens that the receiver and the defender were straightlined down the goal line from where he was. That's no excuse for us not being able to see it."

Referee Penn Wagers led the officiating crew in the Alabama-LSU game and also the crew that erred in handling the clock late in the Tennessee-Florida game, a mistake that allowed the Volunteers more time to drive for a game-winning field goal. But Parks was not part of that crew.

Gaston said he had not received a tape of the play from Alabama, but planned to call Shula and apologize for the mistake.

http://si.cnn.com/2004/football/ncaa/11/15...s.ap/index.html

Archived