QB recruiting...

Sean White vs. Brandon Harris  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Elite 11 MVP or 247's #1 Dual Threat - Which one do you want?

Wow Watson must have been awful in 7 on 7

Dilfer was not happy with him no most of the QBs. He said they tried to create to many junk plays. That said 11th out of 18 is not that bad. With a good day he can still make the final 11.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of you, like myself, that have been starving for new information on the QB front, your wait is over. Harris, White, and Queen will all visit the latter part of this week. Harris, apparently on Wednesday (possibly and hopefully into Thursday; White Thursday or Friday (he wants to be here when Gus is so that Gus can personally evaluate him), and I'm not sure of Queen's schedule, but since he's bringing family, I would imagine the visit will be multi-day, so I'm guessing the weekend.

Will NS pull Cornwell's offer now? What counts more in the eyes of a coach....the # of stars or the performances in this summer camps? ...or are they just among many factors in the overall assessment process?

Will NS pull Cornwell's offer now? What counts more in the eyes of a coach....the # of stars or the performances in this summer camps? ...or are they just among many factors in the overall assessment process?

No. Cornwell earned his offer by throwing in front of Bama coaches and in their minds beating out other guys in those throwing sessions. What counts most to good coaches are their own evals. Stars are not a factor.

I expect Queen to commit on his visit which will jumpstart the 2015 class. It also means that I don't have to worry about the 2014 QB. I would love Harris but I would like to see what Gus could do with White so I'm torn somewhat.

For all of you, like myself, that have been starving for new information on the QB front, your wait is over. Harris, White, and Queen will all visit the latter part of this week. Harris, apparently on Wednesday (possibly and hopefully into Thursday; White Thursday or Friday (he wants to be here when Gus is so that Gus can personally evaluate him), and I'm not sure of Queen's schedule, but since he's bringing family, I would imagine the visit will be multi-day, so I'm guessing the weekend.

Good info, thanks.

No. Cornwell earned his offer by throwing in front of Bama coaches and in their minds beating out other guys in those throwing sessions. What counts most to good coaches are their own evals. Stars are not a factor.

I was just being facetious....only fans of some major school that loses a recruit to a rival seem to think that the stars are the almighty measure of player potential. Still, it's fun to see these highly "starred" players look human when placed up against other talented kids playing the same position. My general view is that if a school gets at least one of the top dozen rated QBs it has no excuse for what we've seen at AU the past couple years. Obviously Gus was not here last season but until proven otherwise, IMO our current QB situation is still on him.

I will be estatic with 2 of the 3 QB's that visit. I am torn on the 2 2014 QB's, but I like them both a great deal.

I'd be estatic if we only landed 1 commitment from a 5* QB. But landing 2 would be really awesome. If there's no 5* guys, then I'd be happy if we would sign 2 4* QB's.

I'd be estatic if we only landed 1 commitment from a 5* QB. But landing 2 would be really awesome.

I got news for you...none of the 3 are five stars...

I'm pulling for Sean White as our 2014 QB. I would love to see what Gus can do with a true pocket passer. Our QB depth chart is full of Dual-threat QB's, so I'm going with accuracy over athleticism on this one.

5 stars or 1 star... I'll be ecstatic when we develop one of these guys into someone who is strong enough to start full back-to-back seasons. We haven't since Brandon Cox. I want someone to step in and takedown J.Campbell's win record. 31 games= easy pickings.

Can't wait to see what Gus&Co. can do with these guys.

I don't know if it is because all the hype lately but I feel that way about SW in Gus's offense. Buuuuuuut I really hope BH and TQ commit this week.

BH because he has the double threat going on and if he is accurate as in Cam Newton accurate (which was not perfect) but won the big plays, we know that kind of QB can be successful at AU. Can restart the whole team in the "all is lost" moments.

TQ because there would be your great passer in '15 but he also has the ability to move a little quicker than White.

I really hate to miss on SW if we sign somebody else but I just feel SW needs playmakers for his game to work. BH is the playmaker.

I don't know if it is because all the hype lately but I feel that way about SW in Gus's offense. Buuuuuuut I really hope BH and TQ commit this week.

BH because he has the double threat going on and if he is accurate as in Cam Newton accurate (which was not perfect) but won the big plays, we know that kind of QB can be successful at AU. Can restart the whole team in the "all is lost" moments.

TQ because there would be your great passer in '15 but he also has the ability to move a little quicker than White.

I really hate to miss on SW if we sign somebody else but I just feel SW needs playmakers for his game to work. BH is the playmaker.

SW's accuracy makes playmakers out of WRs.

I'm pulling for Sean White as our 2014 QB. I would love to see what Gus can do with a true pocket passer. Our QB depth chart is full of Dual-threat QB's, so I'm going with accuracy over athleticism on this one.

I think with Gus's offense you need the dual-threat, not so much to gameplan with but just to provide the playmaker possibility should the pocket collapse. Accuracy you can coach, speed you can't.

I think with Gus's offense you need the dual-threat, not so much to gameplan with but just to provide the playmaker possibility should the pocket collapse. Accuracy you can coach, speed you can't.

Respectfully disagree. Accuracy can be tweeked a bit but can not be flat out coached. If that were the case then all the pwer pitchers who are overchased for their raw arms would have great control and all the big arm QBs overchased would have accuracy rating higher than they do. The fact is their running ability opens more windows to throw the ball so the should be as accurate if not more so than immobile pocket QBs. Also Gus proved at Tulsa in '07 and '08 wiuth 95 TD passes that a DT QB is not needed in this offense although it would be nice. While not fast White has excellent pocket awareness and can scramble enough to let receivers get open.

To me a QB who can hit a receiver in stride and let him run in the open field is more valuable than a QB that can run. Don't get me wrong both are good but I would rather not get my QB banged up trying to make plays.

Respectfully disagree. Accuracy can be tweeked a bit but can not be flat out coached. If that were the case then all the pwer pitchers who are overchased for their raw arms would have great control and all the big arm QBs overchased would have accuracy rating higher than they do. The fact is their running ability opens more windows to throw the ball so the should be as accurate if not more so than immobile pocket QBs. Also Gus proved at Tulsa in '07 and '08 wiuth 95 TD passes that a DT QB is not needed in this offense although it would be nice. While not fast White has excellent pocket awareness and can scramble enough to let receivers get open.

Also, while speed may not be able to be coached and does rely more on natural, God given ability, it is able to be improved (at least somewhat) through the S&C program. Also, a DT QB, like E said, can scramble which creates windows for recievers. DT QBs also don't allow the DBs to focus on coverage during pass plays, as they have to keep one eye on the running back (or have a player "spy" the QB).

Also, E, though I agree with you, I think that I am correct in saying that when Gus was at Tulsa, he had not yet used a true DT QB in his offense in college football. I'd say the first, and arguably the only true DT QB he has had in his system was Cam. He has also not had a QB in his system in college for more than 1 year. I am very excited what he does here as a HC with our QBs. War Eagle.

I have a feeling that SW is going to make every college that passed him up regret it.

Who was the last dual threat qb to come out of Louisiana so highly ranked? Ryan Perriloux, correct?

+1

The real question is will AU accept a commitment from BH without giving SW a chance to throw for them first?

Sean White, good size at 6'2"-204 at 17 years old, excellent accuracy in short and intermediate passes (that would be nice), strong enough arm to get off a longer pass, good leadership ability they say, an excellent student, an underdog with something to prove. What's not to like ?

It would be nice to have one young QB on the roster with excellent accuracy. I know the plan is to take 1 QB in '14 but sometimes another good one falls in your lap so you need to be flexible. If possible, get SW and BH for '14, TQ for '15 then spread them out with red shirts. This is all subject to coaches' evaluations of their abilities of course. Don't forget, we lose 2 QBs after the '14 season or sooner, NM and KF.

I'd be estatic if we only landed 1 commitment from a 5* QB. But landing 2 would be really awesome.

I got news for you...none of the 3 are five stars...

Wow......Bubble = popped

Archived