Former 4* QB OU GT Austin Kendall to WVU (Update 1/16/19)

RunInRed

36 minutes ago, ellitor said:

For intraconference transfers like this one, yes. NCAA does not legislate that yet.

As far as grad transfers being immediately eligible, that’s ncaa right? I though the ncaa also waived the release from scholarship for grad transfers too? 

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, alexava said:

s far as grad transfers being immediately eligible, that’s ncaa right?

Out of conference yes. In the same conference no.

15 minutes ago, alexava said:

I though the ncaa also waived the release from scholarship for grad transfers too?

What do you mean?

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Out of conference yes. In the same conference no.

What do you mean?

You don’t have to be released by your coach to be on scholarship immediately at new school. ? First grads then any transfer ?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

You don’t have to be released by your coach to be on scholarship immediately at new school. ? First grads then any transfer ?

Not sure what the intraconference transfer blocking some conferences allow for regardless of GT or undergrad. For outside of conference transfers there is no blocking from schools which means no more forced walk ons for a year.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure what the intraconference transfer blocking some conferences allow for regardless of GT or undergrad. For outside of conference transfers there is no blocking from schools which means no more forced walk ons for a year.

JMO but no conference will try to enforce a rule that limits transfers of any kind ….too much public backlash. 

The NCAA might hang in there a while longer with the one year delay but I think that is gonna be loosened quite a bit....not for the good of the game   Public sentiment is moving against the NCAA's arbitrary and inconsistent rules and actions and it's getting harder for NCAA to define "just cause" for a transfer and the decisions are looking too arbitrary.   

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but no conference will try to enforce a rule that limits transfers of any kind ….too much public backlash. 

It's not the conferences that enforce rules they have in place. It's the coaches on situations like this. AK is not the only one the past couple of years the original BIG 12 school blocked an intraconference transfer. In the other cases the schools didn't back down like OU did here.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

The NCAA might hang in there a while longer with the one year delay but I think that is gonna be loosened quite a bit....not for the good of the game   Public sentiment is moving against the NCAA's arbitrary and inconsistent rules and actions and it's getting harder for NCAA to define "just cause" for a transfer and the decisions are looking too arbitrary.   

Again disagree. I think the NCAA wants nothing to do with in essence a college football free agency where undergrads can transfer without penalty like GTs can. GTs have earned the right to & fulfilled their part of the student-athlete contract the GTs signed with their original school. It would in essence say kids are at a school for football & not education. I don't see the NCAA backing down from that core philosophy.

18 hours ago, Zinzan said:

I don't know how terrible that is, but it changes things. Last year, you'd think Josh Fields really had a career decision to make in choosing between Georgia and Auburn, but not so much if he knew he could always transfer out and play in 2019 if he couldn't unseat Fromm.

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, definitely changes things. For the better, I say. 

Have to admit, after reading what I wrote yesterday, have to wonder if it's fair to make 17/18 year old kids make career decisions and then penalize them (force them to sit out a year) if they change their mind.

Just now, Zinzan said:

Have to admit, after reading what I wrote yesterday, have to wonder if it's fair to make 17/18 year old kids make career decisions and then penalize them (force them to sit out a year) if they change their mind.

That's my thing. Especially when what they commit to can change drastically before their first season even starts, much less before their career is over. 

"Sign with a school, not a coach." Said at one time or another by most every football coach from Shug Jordan on.

I wouldn't like a free-agent, willy-nilly transfer setup, but I think it's coming. The NCAA has already caved in several cases. All a player has to do is threaten to get lawyers involved and it's been "game over, do whatever you want". There are many apparent legal angles to pursue against the transfer rules and some of them will be hard to defend against in a court of law.

21 hours ago, McLoofus said:

That's my thing. Especially when what they commit to can change drastically before their first season even starts, much less before their career is over. 

I agree 100% that I don’t like it. I will say this though and it’s probably an unpopular opinion. If they do completely get away from the sit out one year rule for transfers then I think signing day should be moved back. I think the “college free agency” should happen before kids sign so that signees know exactly what the depth chart looks like for at least a year at the school they will be signing with.

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I agree 100% that I don’t like it. I will say this though and it’s probably an in popular opinion. If they do completely get away from the sit out one year rule for transfers then I think signing day should be moved back. I think the “college free agency” should happen before kids sign so that signees know exactly what the depth chart looks like for at least a year at the school they will be signing with.

FWIW that seems like a great suggestion to me. 

OK....one more move to set aside the current transfer rule by Martell...

https://sports.yahoo.com/tate-martells-attorney-says-qb-will-ask-ncaa-immediate-eligibility-waiver-142536923.html

I do wonder who is paying the lawyers for these type suits...…some shoe company or future sports agent?  :dunno:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/tate-martells-attorney-says-qb-will-ask-ncaa-immediate-eligibility-waiver-142536923.html

I do wonder who is paying the lawyers for these type suits...…some shoe company or future sports agent?  :dunno:

You ever watch those old Law & Order shows? Every time a criminal asks for a lawyer, the cops do all but say "Oh crap." I think this is what the NCAA is doing. If the kid gets a lawyer, they say Oh Crap and approve the waiver. Who was the last one to request a waiver and get turned down, regardless of the validity of the appeal? There may be one recently but I don't know who it might have been.

Asa Martin, Martell and Fields are clearly transferring because they didn't get to play enough and don't think they'll be starting in the future. If that qualifies as a reason for a waiver, the doors are wide open and it's a free for all.

On 1/19/2019 at 9:46 PM, AU64 said:

Hope it works out for him.

I would guess that their families pay for the lawyers. Not only do a lot of athletes come from comfortable families, but none of them have to pay for college, sooo...

I do wonder if the fame attached to these guys- well, maybe not Martin-  makes it easier for them to find affordable representation. Or maybe it does have something to do with future earnings potential. 

Archived