Very depressed today

Richard78

Just had to notify AU that my daughter who was accepted can't attend, simply due to the cost. Something wrong when the cost of college is so high that even average middle income, hard working folks can't afford to send their kids to their alma mater.

Just had to notify AU that my daughter who was accepted can't attend, simply due to the cost. Something wrong when the cost of college is so high that even average middle income, hard working folks can't afford to send their kids to their alma mater.

You can thank the Federal Reserve for that.

I agree, its just wrong. The government has pumped money into colleges just like they did with healthcare and the costs went up.

I hope she checked with her HS guidance councilor and with Auburn to see if she can obtain any partial scholarships. Some are not even for academic reasons. A person from a certain county majoring in a certain subject type stuff.

Did she decide against taking out a student loan?

AU offered a scholly of $1,500 per semester, freshman year only. For a kid with an 1870 SAT. Big whoop. We decided against student loans, we just don't want to go that far in debt. We live in FL, the killer really was the out of state tuition. You have to figure all in cost is about $40,000 a year. She's going to FL Gulf Coast U. Under FL's Prepaid Tuition Plan that we have funded, and the Bright Futures program, she can basically go there for almost nothing. Meanwhile, I continue to buy FL Lottery tickets.

AU offered a scholly of $1,500 per semester, freshman year only. For a kid with an 1870 SAT. Big whoop. We decided against student loans, we just don't want to go that far in debt. We live in FL, the killer really was the out of state tuition. You have to figure all in cost is about $40,000 a year. She's going to FL Gulf Coast U. Under FL's Prepaid Tuition Plan that we have funded, and the Bright Futures program, she can basically go there for almost nothing. Meanwhile, I continue to buy FL Lottery tickets.

She will enjoy the beaches.

• 2 months later...

I graduated from high school in Tennessee and basically went through the same thing. My father, a great Auburn man, probably would have made it happen but as much as I love Auburn, I've got to admit I love my dad more and couldn't see forcing him to mortgage his future by paying out of state tuition. Everything turned out fine and UT didn't diminish my love for Auburn one bit. I do wish there was some sort of exemption for the children of alumni though. Good luck to your daughter and War Eagle!

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from high school in Tennessee and basically went through the same thing. My father, a great Auburn man, probably would have made it happen but as much as I love Auburn, I've got to admit I love my dad more and couldn't see forcing him to mortgage his future by paying out of state tuition. Everything turned out fine and UT didn't diminish my love for Auburn one bit. I do wish there was some sort of exemption for the children of alumni though. Good luck to your daughter and War Eagle!

:ut: that explains alot....

I have a close friend from my hometown in SC who had to do the same thing with her daughter for the same reason. SC has a lottery as well. She would have been the 54th person to have graduated with a degree from Auburn from Easley, S.C. I was #42.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up. My daughter is at Florida Gulf Coast University and settling in wonderfully, so we're blessed for that. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and words. It is odd walking that campus, where all the buildings are less than 20 years old, and comparing it to AU.

Just a follow up. My daughter is at Florida Gulf Coast University and settling in wonderfully, so we're blessed for that. Thank you all for the kind thoughts and words. It is odd walking that campus, where all the buildings are less than 20 years old, and comparing it to AU.

That's great to hear. Is it a pretty campus? Is it right next to the Gulf?

It's not right on the Gulf (about 20 minutes away) but it is pretty. The rich guy who donated the land for the campus did it with the understanding that a segment of the land would remain pristine. It's on the edge of the Everglades so very tropical. It's weird to see signs on campus saying Beware of Alligators.

That truly is sad to read and I am already mentally preparing myself for this one day as well. My kids are way too small for me to spend much time thinking about college (I do save, but it won't be enough). We live in Georgia and the out of state tution thing will likely kill any thoughts of heading down to AU. My father paid out of state tution for two years when I was in school in the 80's, but it was so much cheaper back then. Almost all my friends from Auburn who have college-aged kids are sending them elsewhere. I doubt it's only because of monitary reasons, but surely it plays a part.

Archived