Pawlowski Fired

I'm friends with the former hitting coach at OSU and LSU. OSU during the Ventura years and LSU during their championship runs with Bertman. His son plays for Arkansas and he says that the pitching coach at Arkansas is the coach to go after. He said he would come out of retirement to be the hitting coach if U of A's pitching coach asked.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Bobby Cox was 10 years younger and retired from the Braves, he would be my choice! We need to hire a coach who has HC success in the NCAA tourney of at least 4-5 trips and at least 3 super-regionals, and at least 1-2 trips to Omaha with wins in the tourney. Being under 55 years old would be a plus as well.

If Bobby Cox was 10 years younger and retired from the Braves, he would be my choice! We need to hire a coach who has HC success in the NCAA tourney of at least 4-5 trips and at least 3 super-regionals, and at least 1-2 trips to Omaha with wins in the tourney. Being under 55 years old would be a plus as well.

Guys with those credentials don't leave the place where they are.

Guys with those credentials don't leave the place where they are.

True...but I guess it's fun to dream....except that when the dream does not come true, the dreamers get all upset.

We shouldn't hire someone just because he's an Auburn man. If we need to go to California and get a proven winner, then that's what we must do.

Why does the hire have to be a coach who is currently a head coach? Why not look at top assistants like McMullen at Virginia, Forbes at North Carolina, or Godwin at Ole Miss?

We shouldn't hire someone just because he's an Auburn man. If we need to go to California and get a proven winner, then that's what we must do.

Like hiring a relative in your business....if things don't work out it's really hard to fire the person without making a lot of enemies in the family. JMO but being an Auburn Man should have zero weight in an evaluation.

Why does the hire have to be a coach who is currently a head coach? Why not look at top assistants like McMullen at Virginia, Forbes at North Carolina, or Godwin at Ole Miss?

It doesn't have to be someone who is already a HC. However, I do think by hiring somebody who has HC experience, you have a previous resume to look at. Now it doesn't always work out when you do that. I looked at Coach Paw's resume when we hired him and was very impressed. But you are right IMO. There are some asst's out there who would make very fine HC's.

Might be a dumb question, but do interested applicants actually inquire or does JJ (or committee, etc.) actively pursue targets as they see fit? Hybrid of both?

Might be a dumb question, but do interested applicants actually inquire or does JJ (or committee, etc.) actively pursue targets as they see fit? Hybrid of both?

Probably a hybrid...and don't forget the agents that are out looking for better jobs for their clients. In fact, I guess if I were looking for a new coach, the agents might be a good source of information about who might be open to an offer.

Probably a hybrid...and don't forget the agents that are out looking for better jobs for their clients. In fact, I guess if I were looking for a new coach, the agents might be a good source of information about who might be open to an offer.

I kind of think we will hire a firm, or come up with a committee, on this hire, just like we did in football. JJ knows he has to get this one right. He is keeping his job by the skin of his teeth.

I kind of think we will hire a firm, or come up with a committee, on this hire, just like we did in football. JJ knows he has to get this one right. He is keeping his job by the skin of his teeth.

The word going around is there will not be a committee on this one.

Can we get this thing laminated? Quite possibly the best post in a4e's long and illustrious career.

So we are leaving it all up to JJ? Ruh roh shaggy.

Bet it's not just him. Expect he will get some consultant like they have done in the past. Can't imagine him pulling together a list and then phoning around to various schools to talk to their coach. This stuff is done behind the scenes until someone expresses interest.

to me ... That screams the decision was made before the firing

just amazed...wow are you really going in the right direction totally lost my respect for auburn and its athletic director Coach paw got zero funds he was promised to update faculties, his office was a concrete bunker.......was limited at non-athletic perks like other schools off (out of state discounts ect) Auburn baseball will continue to fall and quite frankly will not find a better coach.....keep hiring Auburn alumni....see where it gets ya.....the program was handled with dignity, class. The man had big time ties in major leagues, as well as relationships with Tim Hudson, Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas ..Well played Jacobs....you are horrible spineless man who hides behind his 56 inch waist making decisions to try to save his own hide.....really 2 years out of a national champsionship and you fire Chiz...spineless loser.....not spending another dime to watch you and your decisions....pathetic

I'm sorry but this post is pathetic... How many games did Auburn CHOKE AWAY the past 3 seasons? Games that would have made the difference in making or missing a regional! In 2011 Auburn is up 11-3 on Georgia going into the 9th inning and what happens? Auburn gives up 11 friggin runs in one inning and loses 14-11!! Auburn finished 29-29 and ineligible for the NCAA Tourney despite a high RPI that year. If Auburn closes that game we were regional bound. Also..Auburn goes into Hoover that year knowing they just need 1 win to make a regional in a double elimination format and what does Auburn do? Goes 0-2.

Then this season we're up 4-1 in the bottom of the 9th vs. Florida only to choke it away because Pawlowski left the STARTER in too long. Not to mention the awful double header losses to Missouri which really hurt. Take the Missouri series 2-1 like you're supposed to and hold that 3 run 9th inning lead like you SHOULD Auburn would have easily been in a regional. Even just the Florida game would have been enough.

Bottom line is,.Auburn choked away games and our fundamentals were poor. Pawlowski teams did not get it done when we needed it most. These games I mention are just the tip of the iceberg. Auburn was just a win or two away in each of the past 3 seasons from making a regional and did NOT get it done.

Bet it's not just him. Expect he will get some consultant like they have done in the past. Can't imagine him pulling together a list and then phoning around to various schools to talk to their coach. This stuff is done behind the scenes until someone expresses interest.

Yeah, that's probably true. I just hope we find a good one. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to be a post-season team year in and year out, IMO.

just amazed...wow are you really going in the right direction totally lost my respect for auburn and its athletic director Coach paw got zero funds he was promised to update faculties, his office was a concrete bunker.......was limited at non-athletic perks like other schools off (out of state discounts ect) Auburn baseball will continue to fall and quite frankly will not find a better coach.....keep hiring Auburn alumni....see where it gets ya.....the program was handled with dignity, class. The man had big time ties in major leagues, as well as relationships with Tim Hudson, Bo Jackson and Frank Thomas ..Well played Jacobs....you are horrible spineless man who hides behind his 56 inch waist making decisions to try to save his own hide.....really 2 years out of a national champsionship and you fire Chiz...spineless loser.....not spending another dime to watch you and your decisions....pathetic

I'm sorry but this post is pathetic... How many games did Auburn CHOKE AWAY the past 3 seasons? Games that would have made the difference in making or missing a regional! In 2011 Auburn is up 11-3 on Georgia going into the 9th inning and what happens? Auburn gives up 11 friggin runs in one inning and loses 14-11!! Auburn finished 29-29 and ineligible for the NCAA Tourney despite a high RPI that year. If Auburn closes that game we were regional bound. Also..Auburn goes into Hoover that year knowing they just need 1 win to make a regional in a double elimination format and what does Auburn do? Goes 0-2.

Then this season we're up 4-1 in the bottom of the 9th vs. Florida only to choke it away because Pawlowski left the STARTER in too long. Not to mention the awful double header losses to Missouri which really hurt. Take the Missouri series 2-1 like you're supposed to and hold that 3 run 9th inning lead like you SHOULD Auburn would have easily been in a regional. Even just the Florida game would have been enough.

Bottom line is,.Auburn choked away games and our fundamentals were poor. Pawlowski teams did not get it done when we needed it most. These games I mention are just the tip of the iceberg. Auburn was just a win or two away in each of the past 3 seasons from making a regional and did NOT get it done.

Don't feed the troll, maybe he'll go back under his bridge.

Besides Skip Johnson and Steve Johnigan, who are some other top head coaches we're looking at/talking to?

Besides Skip Johnson and Steve Johnigan, who are some other top head coaches we're looking at/talking to?

Nothing has been said yet as to who is being considered.

Archived