Pawlowski Fired

Wow, I must say I am very surprised it went this way, this fast. I have been banging this drum for over a year, and I hate it for Pawlowski as I am convinced he is an outstanding human being. This is encouraging only in that Jay Jacobs is beginning to show the resolve and fortitude to stand tall in less than acceptable circumstances. I wish John Pawlowski the best in his future coaching endeavors. It's now time to move on and up. I would wholeheartedly support Coach Dunn (I played for his dad), but I believe we may be selling ourselves short if we don't look at some other candidates "outside the family".

I agree with this

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guy that didn't deserve to be fired was Steve Renfroe. When you fire a guy like that it's no wonder we've had more downs than ups since Hal Baird retired.

The guy that didn't deserve to be fired was Steve Renfroe. When you fire a guy like that it's no wonder we've had more downs than ups since Hal Baird retired.

Agreed. Based on the lack of progress with Slater and Pawlowski, that was a hasty decision mistake. Is he still coaching at Briarwood Christian in Birmingham?

Renfroe's record does not look that different from JP...he was 12-18 in the SEC his last season....at a time when the SEC was not as strong as it is now. That said, he probably was fired because he was did not match up the Hal B. I expect there were lots of folks calling for his head at the time and the school responded to the whiners who wanted AU baseball to "return to it's past glories, etc. etc". Interesting that he did not go back to a college job afterward....even 9 years later.

Renfroe's record does not look that different from JP...he was 12-18 in the SEC his last season....at a time when the SEC was not as strong as it is now. That said, he probably was fired because he was did not match up the Hal B. I expect there were lots of folks calling for his head at the time and the school responded to the whiners who wanted AU baseball to "return to it's past glories, etc. etc". Interesting that he did not go back to a college job afterward....even 9 years later.

His record was 145-92 overall and 60-60 in SEC games while he was the head baseball coach at AU. After 20 years as an assistant at AU and four years as the head coach, he may have just chosen a different path.

Wow, I get sick of the crap you post. He was fired because he was not a quality SEC baseball coach. He is currently at Briarwood and is not a great high school coach either. Took over a state finalist team when Lee Hall was made unwelcome. He is still (desperately) trying to get back to the college level. I was around when Renfroe was getting his start with Nix and he wasn't a great hitting instructor. Stop shooting from the hip at every opportunity.

Wow, I get sick of the crap you post. He was fired because he was not a quality SEC baseball coach. He is currently at Briarwood and is not a great high school coach either. Took over a state finalist team when Lee Hall was made unwelcome. He is still (desperately) trying to get back to the college level. I was around when Renfroe was getting his start with Nix and he wasn't a great hitting instructor. Stop shooting from the hip at every opportunity.

Gee POD...I was just commenting to a couple SR defenders that his record was not all that good...was 12-18 his final season. Although Renfroe took the Tigers to the NCAA his previous three seasons he was fired the next season after 12-18 in the SEC. Beyond that I know nothing about him but as you say, there could have been more to it than one bad season..... but look what we got? It's not shooting from the hip, it's just doing a little research about his performance. Meanwhile, I didn't single you out for criticism but as my dad used to say..." a hit dog hollers". Sorry my posts bother you but you can just skip them if you wish.

Gee POD...I was just commenting to a couple SR defenders that his record was not all that good...was 12-18 his final season. Although Renfroe took the Tigers to the NCAA his previous three seasons he was fired the next season after 12-18 in the SEC. Beyond that I know nothing about him but as you say, there could have been more to it than one bad season..... but look what we got? It's not shooting from the hip, it's just doing a little research about his performance. Meanwhile, I didn't single you out for criticism but as my dad used to say..." a hit dog hollers". Sorry my posts bother you but you can just skip them if you wish.

No offense guys but can you let it go or take it to a PM? Precciate it.

I don't think looking at coaches below the top level is a good idea. This is the SEC. Unless a coach has created a powerhouse team in a conference like (but not exclusive to) the MAC, Missouri Valley, or Sun Belt, then I can't imagine he could coach, let alone recruit, at the highest level. Top assistants at top programs play integral parts in recruiting and spend more time one-on-one with players. And if it is winning you want, you have to understand that top head coaches from relevant conferences will not leave their programs to rebuild a once prominent program. Stop thinking pipe dreams and look at reality. If you want to hire another head coach, from a non-powerhouse team... you might as well nickname the guy "Chiz Jr."

this last post doesn't make sense. there are plenty of quality baseball coaches throughout all levels. recruiting for baseball is a lot different than recruiting for football. the top players have the option of going pro. sometimes you miss out on the one or two guys that could really turn the program around or get it to competing for championships.

I don't think looking at coaches below the top level is a good idea. This is the SEC. Unless a coach has created a powerhouse team in a conference like (but not exclusive to) the MAC, Missouri Valley, or Sun Belt, then I can't imagine he could coach, let alone recruit, at the highest level. Top assistants at top programs play integral parts in recruiting and spend more time one-on-one with players. And if it is winning you want, you have to understand that top head coaches from relevant conferences will not leave their programs to rebuild a once prominent program. Stop thinking pipe dreams and look at reality. If you want to hire another head coach, from a non-powerhouse team... you might as well nickname the guy "Chiz Jr."

Chiz jr.? Ok, if the guy will deliver three winning seasons in four years, bring us a national championship and then bow out gracefully, HIRE Chiz Jr NOW!

Chiz jr.? Ok, if the guy will deliver three winning seasons in four years, bring us a national championship and then bow out gracefully, HIRE Chiz Jr NOW!

You missed the point. Anyone who thinks Gene Chizik is the reason Auburn won a National Championship you are sadly mistaken. And yes, there are quality coaches at all levels... Pawlowski was a quality coach at a lower level... After he had four years to recruit a full team at Charleston: 47 wins, 48 wins, 46 wins, 39 wins, 39 wins. Pawlowski delivered four winning seasons in five years, but no National Championship. It wasn't the lack of NC that got him fired.

Instead of hire Chiz Jr. now, you meant to say, "Sign the next Bryce Harper or Mike Trout."

Hire a coach from a proven program. But as I said, I think it will be hard to lure away head coaches from teams like: Vandy, UNC, Cal St., Texas, Baylor, OSU, LSU, Florida, Miami, Virginia, Oregon St., FSU, Southern Cal, UCLA, Clemson, S. Carolina, Rice, NCState, Texas AM, etc.

Does anyone think the Auburn Family will settle for a Division 2 coach who hasn't won a Nat'l Title? My former school was ranked as high as No. 5 this year. Do I think our coach could solve Auburn's problems? NEVER, he isn't that good of a coach.

Anyone who thinks Gene Chizik is the reason Auburn won a National Championship you are sadly mistaken.

And anyone who thinks we would have won that national championship without Chizik is sadly mistaken as well. It took everything working just as it did and Chizik played a major role in it.

Why do so many Auburn people take cheap shots at Chizik when he brought us our first national championship in 53 years? The guy earned and deserves our respect and gratitude, not cheap shots such as "hire Chizik jr." Was he a long term solution? No. Did he bring something great to Auburn? Certainly, and we owe him for that.

It's too bad Rudy Abbott is retired. He would be great. Such an awesome gentleman and coach I had the pleasure to meet.

Anyone who thinks Gene Chizik is the reason Auburn won a National Championship you are sadly mistaken.

And anyone who thinks we would have won that national championship without Chizik is sadly mistaken as well. It took everything working just as it did and Chizik played a major role in it.

Why do so many Auburn people take cheap shots at Chizik when he brought us our first national championship in 53 years? The guy earned and deserves our respect and gratitude, not cheap shots such as "hire Chizik jr." Was he a long term solution? No. Did he bring something great to Auburn? Certainly, and we owe him for that.

I agree that CGC did his best work of his career that year. It was not coaching though, it was CEO managing the mess that the nation brought upon us. I cant believe Chizik will be a HC at a major college again (or at least not in the next 5-10 years). He managed a situation and the players took care of the rest with CGM running the only winning element to the team. I don't get teary eyed about loosing Chizik. It was as much Tubbervilles as Chizik's. He just held it together. But he did a hell of a job doing that, and we do owe him gratitude. But his buyout is enough, lets not glorify a bad head coach.

The situation with AU baseball, like many other AU sports, was simply not sustainable. Regardless of the reasons why, whether the fault of JJ or Pawlowski or some combination thereof, changes had to be made. Removing the coach was the first step. If the same results continue with the new coach, then that will be further evidence that AU needs a new AD.

With respect to whether JJ is the man for the job, there is no question that he has been thrown a life preserver. If AU sports do not see drastic improvement under JJ, he will not get another life preserver. From that viewpoint, AU is moving in the right direction, even though it may not seem so right now. JJ will either become a good AD or he will be gone.

Pawloski may have been an unfair casualty, but he is gone and it is time to move on.

I still think Dunn would be a good hire. At this point in AU athletics, he may well be the best hire that AU could make.

What has Dunn done that you think he should be AUs next head coach? and please don't say JJ should hire him because he's an Auburn man. Has Samford or any other team he's been with won the CWS?

What has Dunn done that you think he should be AUs next head coach? and please don't say JJ should hire him because he's an Auburn man. Has Samford or any other team he's been with won the CWS?

No, and neither has any other coach we are likely to hire.

I don't know if anyone has already posted about it, but are we looking at Wichita St.'s baseball coach. He had been there for 36 years and has the second most victories among major college programs. He did say he wanted to coach so could there be a possibility of him looking at Auburn? It's a long shot, but just a thought.

Archived