Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

What about Jonathan Schuerholtz? Good Auburn man with a degree from Auburn. Currently managing in the Braves system (Danville). Great pedigree although some will claim nepotism. No college coaching experience, but in this area the connection with his dad would probably be huge for recruiting. I'm not convinced myself, but throwing out a name for consideration.

WDE!!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we'd promote Gabe Gross? Even though that's not doing anything special, haven't really heard anyone calling for that is why I call it thinking outside the box. Although that's be a very easy hire for Jacobs to make.

TIm Corbin (Vandy) top pick if we offer him everything he could want, Dan MCdonnell (Louisville 8 straight NCAA tourneys), JAck Leggett (Clemsone although it would be hard to get him to leave -19yrs)....no more small school unproven coaches

We should go after a name. The Louisville guy, or offer Corbin at Vandy whatever he wants. Bring in a winner.

Corbin wouldn't leave Vandy... same can be said for McDonnell and Leggett. They have built their programs to national powers... None of them would walk away from that.

Schuerholtz and Gabe Gross would be catastrophic failures. Neither have "coached" at the level we need. Managing an A-ball team is hardly building any foundation, or developing talent... Schuerholtz has never recruited nor would he be good at it. Gabe is a one-year hitting instructor... nowhere near qualified to be the head guy for AU's program.

Everybody can poo-poo all you want, but Casey Dunn would be a great replacement for Pawlawski. Aside from taking Samford, yes Samford, to a regional for the 1st time (in forever?)... He has done more with less talent than anyone in the state... Heck, Samford doesn't even give athletic scholarships! He has out-recruited AU, UA, Troy, USA and UAB... and he's been handcuffed to boot! Dunn has had more draft picks than any body in the state, the last four years. And... he's gonna have a first rounder in this years draft! That is called DEVELOPING TALENT!!! Casey can aslo recruit in South Florida... He has connections down there, to the point he has pulled some talent that has NO business being at Samford. Just think what he could do at AU...? Any way you slice it, Casey Dunn should get some MAJOR consideration for this opening! Anyone who knows... just ask Hal Baird. He LOVES Casey! If it were up to him... He'd be the choice. Hopefully it is.

Corbin wouldn't leave Vandy... same can be said for McDonnell and Leggett. They have built their programs to national powers... None of them would walk away from that.

Schuerholtz and Gabe Gross would be catastrophic failures. Neither have "coached" at the level we need. Managing an A-ball team is hardly building any foundation, or developing talent... Schuerholtz has never recruited nor would he be good at it. Gabe is a one-year hitting instructor... nowhere near qualified to be the head guy for AU's program.

Everybody can poo-poo all you want, but Casey Dunn would be a great replacement for Pawlawski. Aside from taking Samford, yes Samford, to a regional for the 1st time (in forever?)... He has done more with less talent than anyone in the state... Heck, Samford doesn't even give athletic scholarships! He has out-recruited AU, UA, Troy, USA and UAB... and he's been handcuffed to boot! Dunn has had more draft picks than any body in the state, the last four years. And... he's gonna have a first rounder in this years draft! That is called DEVELOPING TALENT!!! Casey can aslo recruit in South Florida... He has connections down there, to the point he has pulled some talent that has NO business being at Samford. Just think what he could do at AU...? Any way you slice it, Casey Dunn should get some MAJOR consideration for this opening! Anyone who knows... just ask Hal Baird. He LOVES Casey! If it were up to him... He'd be the choice. Hopefully it is.

Just so you know: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=375&dat=20071124&id=JJM1AAAAIBAJ&sjid=VSUMAAAAIBAJ&pg=969,337131

Don't really care what that article says... Samford gets limited financial aide for baseball, and they dish out academic schollys for those who qualify, but they have nowhere near the 11.7 allotted schollys as other D1 programs.

This kid is probably getting some academic money, or a small chunk of financial aide...

Either way, it's pretty dang hard to get in to Samford, and it's expensive. Dunn has done more with less!

I hope we don't limit the search to just "Auburn men". There are asst. coaches with plenty of experience recruiting, not to mention already proven HC's, who would love the opportunity to be a HC in the SEC. Plus the money we pay/overpay our HC's is another attractive reason to come here.

I hope we don't limit the search to just "Auburn men". There are asst. coaches with plenty of experience recruiting, not to mention already proven HC's, who would love the opportunity to be a HC in the SEC. Plus the money we pay/overpay our HC's is another attractive reason to come here.

Sorry WE10....Some folks on here apparently think the world ends at the state line. Troy, USA and Samford....Alabama's cradle of baseball coaches huh? We've already tried two former AU assistant coaches and then JP who came here with a more impressive resume in the Southern Conference (3 trips to NCAA including a Super Regional) than any of the guys being promoted on this board. IMO the good news is that JJ and who ever is consulting with him will probably not get caught up in the "Auburn Man" trap or take another small school coach hoping he can grow into an SEC coach. We may have some short comings in facilities but AU is still a great place to live and coach. Trust however you know that JP was one of the lowest paid coaches in the SEC...maybe he "earned" that pay level but AU is going to have to sweeten the pot for the next guy.

Sorry WE10....Some folks on here apparently think the world ends at the state line. Troy, USA and Samford....Alabama's cradle of baseball coaches huh? We've already tried two former AU assistant coaches and then JP who came here with a more impressive resume in the Southern Conference (3 trips to NCAA including a Super Regional) than any of the guys being promoted on this board. IMO the good news is that JJ and who ever is consulting with him will probably not get caught up in the "Auburn Man" trap or take another small school coach hoping he can grow into an SEC coach. We may have some short comings in facilities but AU is still a great place to live and coach. Trust however you know that JP was one of the lowest paid coaches in the SEC...maybe he "earned" that pay level but AU is going to have to sweeten the pot for the next guy.

I did not know that. Do you know what he was getting paid?

$390,000. We should go after arkansas' pitching coach. We can get the former hitting coach for ok. State during the incavelu's and Ventura years. He was also the hitting coach during lsu's run on national titles. His name is Jim schwanke. His son plays for arkansas. Jim knows his stuff and speaks highly of the pitching coach at arkansas.

Coach Paw made $390k? Well, I can't say we didn't get what we paid for. Yes, we will have to pay more for our next coach if we want an upgrade.

I posted something about this earlier today, but seriously consider this: would it be that far fetched of an idea to go after an MLB coach or manager? Is it possible one of them could want a change of pace in their coaching careers? It's so crazy an idea that it might work! NFL coaches seem to come back to coaching college ball many times, and I'm just wondering if that could translate to college baseball?

I don't understand all the paranoia about hiring an Auburn man. Men's & women's basketball have been filled without hiring Auburn grads. Gus isn't an AU grad. It's not like we've got a history of limiting searches to Auburn grads. Why the concern?

Of course, the most successful college coach in the history of this state, former AU swimming coach David Marsh is an Auburn grad as was Shug Jordan so hiring an Auburn guy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

When Coach paw was hired he was in the top 1/3 of SEC baseball coaches in salary. Now he's in the bottom 1/3 and that's an indication of how baseball is advancing in the conference.

Guys like Corbin at Vandy aren't going to leave their spot. There's no reason for a guy in that position to change jobs. They've got everything they want and have demonstrated that they can compete for a national championship where they are. There are plenty of good baseball coaches around and it will be easy for us to improve.

Whoever gets the AU job will have to hit the ground recruiting. Most of Pawloski's recruits were transfers and former JUCO players who will either graduate soon or at best have only one year left.

Example: According to a recent P. Marshall article six of our eight regular position starters were transfers. The pitchers: All three starters and the closer are transfers. So, of our top 12 players, 10 didn't come to Auburn from the high school ranks but from other schools and JUCos. All the while knowing that within a 60 mile radius of Auburn University is located some of the finest high school baseball talent in America.

We had to change if we were to start the long climb back to respectability.

I don't understand all the paranoia about hiring an Auburn man. Men's & women's basketball have been filled without hiring Auburn grads. Gus isn't an AU grad. It's not like we've got a history of limiting searches to Auburn grads. Why the concern?

Of course, the most successful college coach in the history of this state, former AU swimming coach David Marsh is an Auburn grad as was Shug Jordan so hiring an Auburn guy isn't necessarily a bad thing.

When Coach paw was hired he was in the top 1/3 of SEC baseball coaches in salary. Now he's in the bottom 1/3 and that's an indication of how baseball is advancing in the conference.

Guys like Corbin at Vandy aren't going to leave their spot. There's no reason for a guy in that position to change jobs. They've got everything they want and have demonstrated that they can compete for a national championship where they are. There are plenty of good baseball coaches around and it will be easy for us to improve.

Whoever gets the AU job will have to hit the ground recruiting. Most of Pawloski's recruits were transfers and former JUCO players who will either graduate soon or at best have only one year left.

Example: According to a recent P. Marshall article six of our eight regular position starters were transfers. The pitchers: All three starters and the closer are transfers. So, of our top 12 players, 10 didn't come to Auburn from the high school ranks but from other schools and JUCos. All the while knowing that within a 60 mile radius of Auburn University is located some of the finest high school baseball talent in America.

We had to change if we were to start the long climb back to respectability.

Whoever this next coach is, I said it in an earlier post, I will have high expectations right out of the gate. Time to stop expecting mediocrity (not directed at you, Mikey, just generalizing).

I know, but with the mess Coach P. left it will be hard to have a big turnaround in just one year. This year's team was a very old, veteran team with a lot of guys that can't/won't come back for another year. 2013 should have been a peak with a rebuilding season next year.

I expect some improvement in the W/L record against a stronger schedule but I don't think dramatic results will be possible. The new guy will have to re-load and develop some relationships with high school coaches in the area, as Pawloski ignored that part of the job.

I know, but with the mess Coach P. left it will be hard to have a big turnaround in just one year. This year's team was a very old, veteran team with a lot of guys that can't/won't come back for another year. 2013 should have been a peak with a rebuilding season next year.

I expect some improvement in the W/L record against a stronger schedule but I don't think dramatic results will be possible. The new guy will have to re-load and develop some relationships with high school coaches in the area, as Pawloski ignored that part of the job.

True, but I still think we should expect this coach to finish at least in the top 3 in the west, and be pretty well cemented into a regional when the majority of the season has already been played.

True, but I still think we should expect this coach to finish at least in the top 3 in the west, and be pretty well cemented into a regional when the majority of the season has already been played.

JMO but his was the building year. This was not an old/veteran team. Most were one or two year players and we only had 3 seniors on the team roster this year. The new coach will have 6 starting position players and all starting pitchers and key relievers coming back. If the coach can/will keep these guys, the team should be set for next season from game #1. Not sure if we will be able to keep all the recruits but if the new coach can help these guys deal with the basic fundamentals and hitting the team should be much better next season. A big bonus would be to have Koger and Kendall back in form.

JMO but his was the building year. This was not an old/veteran team. Most were one or two year players and we only had 3 seniors on the team roster this year. The new coach will have 6 starting position players and all starting pitchers and key relievers coming back. If the coach can/will keep these guys, the team should be set for next season from game #1. Not sure if we will be able to keep all the recruits but if the new coach can help these guys deal with the basic fundamentals and hitting the team should be much better next season. A big bonus would be to have Koger and Kendall back in form.

I guess we'll see after the MLB draft. I'm expecting most of those one-year juniors to go pro if given half a chance. With luck, you'll be right and next year will be good. I'm thinking most will be gone and we'll have to rebuild. Good thing about this, we'll have a good idea of where we stand in a month or two.

Does Corbin have any connections to Auburn? I would love to get him. But other than money, is there anything else we can really offer him?

We allegedly made a run at him the last time we made a hire. I don't believe we would pony up the kind of money (half million plus) it would take to get him here. I do hope Jacobs makes the call though. I assume the Tim Hudson money is still on the table, would hope the university would match that for additional facilities. Otherwise we are looking to get lucky with a very good second tier coach again (which is possible, in my opinion).

If Jay Jacobs doesnt call Tim Corbin he is a loser. Point blank. Make him say no!!!

That would be nice, but it looks like Vandy is making an effort with their baseball program. I'm not sure we are making that same committment. It is kind of sad to me that a former player has to donate $1 million dollars for facility upgrades to be made.

JJ must hire BIG NAME coach who knows how to win if we ever want this program back on top again.

Archived