Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's going to be Casey. He is a guy that won't jump ship if he builds us back up. Young. Very highly thought of. He is ours if we want him. Every sign points to him IMO.

I think it's going to be Casey. He is a guy that won't jump ship if he builds us back up. Young. Very highly thought of. He is ours if we want him. Every sign points to him IMO.

Auburn has never been faced with that situation.

I think we need to go after a proven, big time coach. After how the past three coaches have turned out, we should be doing whatever we can to build the team back up to championship form, like we came to expect under Coach Baird. We need to go after guys like Jim Schlossnagle at TCU, Scott Stricklin at Kent State.

We have only had Hal Baird.....as far as a HC anybody else would want.

We have only had Hal Baird.....as far as a HC anybody else would want.

Exactly. Nothing to worry about on something that has not happened yet.

...so much of the game now is about pitching. AU needs to just get a couple of really good pitchers and they will be fine.

Arkansas' pitching was just about as good as it gets this year. They probably will not advance out of their regional.

Dan Gelvenyak says hitting and fielding are pretty important too.

The SEC went 4-5 today. Arkansas was beaten 4-1 by the mighty Bryant University (Smithfield, RI) Bulldogs in the Manhattan regional. No kidding, Rhode Island. Oof.

Any word on a timeframe for a hire?

Not saying they will land them but they are looking for a very big fish in the college baseball world so do not expect a hire til after the college world series.

Not saying they will land them but they are looking for a very big fish in the college baseball world so do not expect a hire til after the college world series.

That reads pretty vague. I assume by that either you or Jacobs are guessing/dreaming?

That reads pretty vague. I assume by that either you or Jacobs are guessing/dreaming?

Don't put me in that. Jay is looking for a big fish. The biggest fish will likely not be done with their seasons til after the CWS. What is vague about that?

It sounds like some on here don't quite get baseball. I would say that the majority of teams in the tourney have a number 1pitcher that could beat any team on a given day. Bryant has a number 1starter that will go in the top 5 rounds of the draft.

I am really liking the Troy Coach, Pierce.

Coach pierce is amazing, I played ball with his youngest son and his wife was my PE teacher when he was at UAH. I always got invited to his camps and for special sessions. He even coached my little league team when I was 12. He would be a great get and is very well respected by high school coaches throughout the southeast.

It sounds like some on here don't quite get baseball. I would say that the majority of teams in the tourney have a number 1pitcher that could beat any team on a given day. Bryant has a number 1starter that will go in the top 5 rounds of the draft.

It would also appear some on here don't quite get the message board concept. Did you read the entire post? Just beacause Kelich has 30 career wins does not make him a top five round draft pick, dude throws mid-80's. The point was Arkansas is finding it hard to hit their way out of a paper bag, their fielding is atrocious and their pitching alone won't get them a ticket to anywhere but back to Fayetteville.

I seen a Terry Rooney mention from UCF. I am not sure he has much going for him except youth and a great recruiter(and has done fairly well at UCF).

Any thought on Patrick McCarthy from Faulkner U in Montgomery? Took a terrible team and in a few short years they have just won the NAIA National Championship.

Stricklin just got the UGA job, so I'll say:

1. Jim Schlossnagle -TCU

2. Mike Batesole - Fresno State

3. George Horton - Oregon

4. Mark Kingston - Illinois State

And as a last resort:

5. Mark Calvi - USA

6. Casey Dunn - Samford

Stricklin just got the UGA job, so I'll say:

1. Jim Schlossnagle -TCU

2. Mike Batesole - Fresno State

4. Mark Kingston - Illinois State

And as a last resort:

5. Mark Calvi - USA

6. Casey Dunn - Samford

Good hire for UGA not great but good imho

Horton made $638,000 last season, pretty sure we aren't going there. Interesting deal on his contract, Nike pays him a $150,000 supplement to supply Oregon's bats even though their BBCOR bats are so bad they let them (and everbody else) out of the endorsement contract. Maybe Apple will go into the athletic equipment business and Tim Cook will become our de facto AD.

Final post, (Im sure to the dismay of many) but the program has been setback at least 5 years. There is no coach that will turn this program around in 5 years. Until Auburn relaxes some of it internal issues. Jacobs refuses to back up his promises of funding this program. Empty promises of upgrading the facilities ( i.e a freaking indoor batting cage..wow) The dismissal of Pawlowski has only stunted the program.. He had no chance to do anything when promises of funding were not kept. He only had 2 years to bring players in of his picking. The rest were left overs from the previous regime. Some were studs offensively, but pitching was very poor. His staff ERA had steadily declined and had signed some power arms that had committed to hitting campus. Those are very much in question now. So, that leaves the question of who can make an impact?.....the answer is big big bucks to lure away any coach into this situation.. and it quite apparent that money IS an object when it comes to the baseball program. So, interested to see any gain by Pawlowski's dismissal. It's great to say Auburn alumni, but that is just plain dumb.... Gross accomplished dropping the team batting about 20 points. Casey Dunn is a below .500 coach in a less competitive league. Its is simply going to take big big money to bring in the "savior" to the program. That simply is not going to happen.. And if it does happen, the next guy will face the same dilemma, no funding ,no facilities and empty promises. Good luck in your search.....Sorry it the truth, horrible decision....well played Mr Jacobs.....

I don't understand the infatuation with Casey Dunn. Just a few years ago, he was a high school head coach and right now he is the head coach of a college where he has a losing record. Yes, he's an Auburn man, but hiring someone based solely on that qualification will land us in the same spot in four or five years. We can and should do much better than Casey.

Archived