Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

NC State could be classified as "established and successful" but just barely....W-L record is pretty good and has made it to regionals a number of times but usually their season has ended there. I don't know if there is any downside for him to come here except inertia....doing well at State, will be rewarded for a good season, etc. On the other hand, I see that he currently earns less than $150K and is working for a new AD. Who knows what's possible.

On the list of potential realistic big name candidates, I don't know how you could call Avent "just barely" successful. The guy has been to the tournament in 10-of-11 seasons since 2003, including three Super Regionals and a CWS this year. That's pretty damn good, no matter how you slice it. We aren't getting a CWS winning coach to leave his current program, so I'm not sure what your expectations are with this hire.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NC State could be classified as "established and successful" but just barely....W-L record is pretty good and has made it to regionals a number of times but usually their season has ended there. I don't know if there is any downside for him to come here except inertia....doing well at State, will be rewarded for a good season, etc. On the other hand, I see that he currently earns less than $150K and is working for a new AD. Who knows what's possible.

On the list of potential realistic big name candidates, I don't know how you could call Avent "just barely" successful. The guy has been to the tournament in 10-of-11 seasons since 2003, including three Super Regionals and a CWS this year. That's pretty damn good, no matter how you slice it. We aren't getting a CWS winning coach to leave his current program, so I'm not sure what your expectations are with this hire.

Agreed on the the NC State part. To get to the NCAAs 10 of 11 years is an accomplishment, especially when you consider the ACC has battled the SEC on a yearly basis to be the #1 conference.

Very well said Brad. He would be a tremendous hire for us.

Main reason why NC St guy would consider AU...dolla bills y'all.

We have more money to pay for a baseball coach than does NC State? I think when it comes down to it they'll match anything AU will offer.

Main reason why NC St guy would consider AU...dolla bills y'all.

We have more money to pay for a baseball coach than does NC State? I think when it comes down to it they'll match anything AU will offer.

Actually we probably do, because our athletic department overall makes a good bit more money than NC State's does.

That said, I don't think it's going to be him.

Sixteen seasons at NC State and 8 winning seasons in the ACC. What do you call that? I think it's OK... but not terrific. JMO.

OU's Rivals site just posted a story confirming he's in Auburn and that he reached out to us.

It's being talked around on several sites. Would be a good move IMO. Back to back homers if we can bring this guy in on the same day we announce Myers for softball.

Justin Hokanson @JHokanson

Oklahoma baseball coach Sunny Golloway visiting #Auburn today auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CI… @Rivals

Havent really watched college baseball besides Auburn but how good is Sunny?

Seven appearances in the NCAA tournament in eight seasons. Four times they advanced to a Super Regional and made one appearance in the CWS (2010). This past year they were eliminated in the Super Regional by LSU.

Justin Hokanson @JHokanson

Oklahoma baseball coach Sunny Golloway visiting #Auburn today auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CI… @Rivals

Havent really watched college baseball besides Auburn but how good is Sunny?

Seven appearances in the NCAA tournament in eight seasons. Four times they advanced to a Super Regional and made one appearance in the CWS (2010). This past year they were eliminated in the Super Regional by LSU.

Pretty good, hope we can get him.

This would be a massive hire. You just don't see these types of moves that often in college baseball. Once a coach gets established at a power school, they usually stay.

Sixteen seasons at NC State and 8 winning seasons in the ACC. What do you call that? I think it's OK... but not terrific. JMO.

In 16 years he has.....

• Winningest coach in program history with 599 victories

• 12 NCAA regionals

• 3 NCAA Super Regionals

• 16 All-Americans

• 4 of the 6 first-team All-Americans in the program's 105-year history

• 27 first-team All-ACC selections

• 24 second-team All-ACC selections

• 73 players taken in the MLB draft, 56 in the last 10 years

• ACC and National Coach of the Year in 2003

• Selected for the USA Baseball coaching staff in 2004 and won a Gold Medal at the World University Games in Chinese Taipei

Since 2003, Avent has elevated NC State baseball to an entirely new level: 383 victories -- an average of more than 38 per season -- and a .623 won-lost percentage.

Exactly WTH are you looking for?

http://www.gopack.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/elliott_avent_710286.html

He followed Ray Tanner who took NC State to NCAA regionals 9 years in a row. State was already "there" when Avent arrived and he more or less maintained the same level of results as Tanner with only a slight fall-off. I'm not making light of his record.....and if he were to come to AU, I would be happy about it. He would certainly be a better catch than some of the folks being promoted on this board. But there are some more to consider.... as we are hearing at this very moment.

Archived