Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some people won't like it, but if you want a big name that can win: Pat Murphy.

Would be a nice hire IMO. Reading his bio, it looks like he is on his way to being coach or manager in the bigs. Kind of hard to compete with that.

I know, but with the mess Coach P. left it will be hard to have a big turnaround in just one year. This year's team was a very old, veteran team with a lot of guys that can't/won't come back for another year. 2013 should have been a peak with a rebuilding season next year.

I expect some improvement in the W/L record against a stronger schedule but I don't think dramatic results will be possible. The new guy will have to re-load and develop some relationships with high school coaches in the area, as Pawloski ignored that part of the job.

True, but I still think we should expect this coach to finish at least in the top 3 in the west, and be pretty well cemented into a regional when the majority of the season has already been played.

JMO but his was the building year. This was not an old/veteran team. Most were one or two year players and we only had 3 seniors on the team roster this year. The new coach will have 6 starting position players and all starting pitchers and key relievers coming back. If the coach can/will keep these guys, the team should be set for next season from game #1. Not sure if we will be able to keep all the recruits but if the new coach can help these guys deal with the basic fundamentals and hitting the team should be much better next season. A big bonus would be to have Koger and Kendall back in form.

I guess we'll see after the MLB draft. I'm expecting most of those one-year juniors to go pro if given half a chance. With luck, you'll be right and next year will be good. I'm thinking most will be gone and we'll have to rebuild. Good thing about this, we'll have a good idea of where we stand in a month or two.

If they had a chance you could be right but looking at those sub .300 batting averages and poor fielding percentages, I can't imagine anyone getting any kind of offer though the NCAA is pretty generous about letting baseball players transfer from one school to the next. Even our pitchers, as well as they have done, are not near professional level....even for the minors. I see some class A baseball and even at that level, about all the pitchers are 90-95 on their fastballs and it's rare to see one under about 6'3. ...big guys. If the coach makes an effort to keep what we have now, a reasonable starting team is already available. ....just need to be "coached up" for next year.

Would be a nice hire IMO. Reading his bio, it looks like he is on his way to being coach or manager in the bigs. Kind of hard to compete with that.

He's really not. He's in short-season A ball (70 game seasons) and took the job because he was basically untouchable after the ASU thing. Those have blown over now and he could be a viable option. However, he is very much a west coast guy and it would cost a load of money to get him here. But there's no one on the market with his credentials and he's only 55, so there's a solid 10 years left in him.

JJ made a great hire when he pulled Coach Flo from Georgetown to coach the Lady's basketball team. I think he'll do the same this time. He has to!

He's really not. He's in short-season A ball (70 game seasons) and took the job because he was basically untouchable after the ASU thing. Those have blown over now and he could be a viable option. However, he is very much a west coast guy and it would cost a load of money to get him here. But there's no one on the market with his credentials and he's only 55, so there's a solid 10 years left in him.

Not strictly a West Coast guy. Was at Notre Dame before going to ASU. Played college ball at Florida Atlantic. Was exonerated by NCAA though ASU placed on 1 year probation. We could probably do worse.

Just wondering why some people are so high on Jim Case from Jacksonville State.

Not sure if you watched the last Jax St./ Auburn game. If you did, then you wouldn't be making that statement. That was the most disciplined team at the plate that I have seen in college baseball this year.

Just a thought but the Jim Case fans might want to spend a little more time looking over their results for the season. For example...they had 20 more errors than AU. Just sayin....one game doesn't make a season ...unless it happens to be against Bama in the SEC tourney. :)

one game doesn't make a season ...unless it happens to be against Bama in the SEC tourney. :)

Ground hog day for those who don't know enough about what goes on in a season. ;)

Call me crazy but I say we get Casey Dunn for a few years and when Tim Hudson retires, let him have it. Think of the possibilities...

Corbin wouldn't leave Vandy for Auburn five years ago, he certainly won't now. First, Vandy has more money than we do and can match or exceed any offer we might make.

Second, he's got it workin' there and is a national title contender every year. He doesn't need upgraded facilities, he's doing very well with what he's got no matter how good or bad they might be.

I can't think of one single reason why Corbin would leave Vandy for Auburn. Hopefully we'll get a good coach from somewhere, but it won't be a guy who is already highly successful at a school that is richer than we are.

Auburn will be very fortunate to be anything better than average in any sport as long as JJ is at Auburn. He is the worst AD in the history and is clueless as to what it takes to attract top athletes in any sport. He thinks this is 1967 and kids are drooling to come to AU. It isn't the summer of love any more and a college degree does not insure a job with great pay, benefits and fun. It isn't much more than the education you can get for the cost of a library card and late fees.

All the top athletes expect to move on after 3 or 4 years of college sports to pro sports. They are not interested in a degree they are interested in becoming better athletes so they can make more money playing sports. Sports is there job. They want to learn for the best coach because it is in their best interest. The way they determine who is the best coach is to look at the coach's salary.

If you want to compete on the recruiting trail you hire the best coach, pay the coach the most money in the nation and enjoy watching your team win.

As we did in football we will do in baseball. Hire less than the best.

I love AU. My family has been paying tuition since 1918. But sports at Auburn are stuck in the 60s.

auburn will get a good coach. auburn had a good coach. so much of the game now is about pitching. AU needs to just get a couple of really good pitchers and they will be fine.

...so much of the game now is about pitching. AU needs to just get a couple of really good pitchers and they will be fine.

Arkansas' pitching was just about as good as it gets this year. They probably will not advance out of their regional.

Dan Gelvenyak says hitting and fielding are pretty important too.

We allegedly made a run at him the last time we made a hire. I don't believe we would pony up the kind of money (half million plus) it would take to get him here. I do hope Jacobs makes the call though. I assume the Tim Hudson money is still on the table, would hope the university would match that for additional facilities. Otherwise we are looking to get lucky with a very good second tier coach again (which is possible, in my opinion).

We could have had Corbin last time but JJ would not agree to his request and no it was not money. He had his bags packed and was ready to come when JJ pulled the rug out from under him.

...so much of the game now is about pitching. AU needs to just get a couple of really good pitchers and they will be fine.

Arkansas' pitching was just about as good as it gets this year. They probably will not advance out of their regional.

Dan Gelvenyak says hitting and fielding are pretty important too.

With these new bats, pitching and D are the most important IMO. Hitting never hurts, but the days of 10-8 games will not be the norm again. We need to learn to play small ball, bunt runners over, swipe a bag or three. Our bunting was horrendous the last several years. Don't get me started on the D aspect of the game. Oh yeah, and base running.

We could have had Corbin last time but JJ would not agree to his request and no it was not money. He had his bags packed and was ready to come when JJ pulled the rug out from under him.

That's a curious statement. Do you have first-hand knowledge about this or is it something you saw on the internet? What was Corbin's mystery request? Inquiring minds want to know!

That's a curious statement. Do you have first-hand knowledge about this or is it something you saw on the internet? What was Corbin's mystery request? Inquiring minds want to know!

What he said.

What he said.

++

What he said.

++

Guys, you can forget Corbin. I live in Nashville. and I can tell you Tim Corbin is as set in one place as anyone could possibly be. It was reported last week that he has as many as 30 highly regarded prospects waiting to play for him. Money is no problem; Vandy can handle that a number of ways. Time to move on. Trust me on this one.

Archived