Baseball coach (merged threads) Put all coach options here

No offense but don't really want Casey. His team had a losing record this year at 27-30 and couldn't even beat us. I think we can do better.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could have had Corbin last time but JJ would not agree to his request and no it was not money. He had his bags packed and was ready to come when JJ pulled the rug out from under him.

That's a curious statement. Do you have first-hand knowledge about this or is it something you saw on the internet? What was Corbin's mystery request? Inquiring minds want to know!

What he said.

++

I don't have first hand knowledge but in researching the sitch in 2004 multiple sources pretty much had it as a done deal. Not sure why it fell through. The original quoted post could be the explanation.

Guys, you can forget Corbin. I live in Nashville. and I can tell you Tim Corbin is as set in one place as anyone could possibly be. It was reported last week that he has as many as 30 highly regarded prospects waiting to play for him. Money is no problem; Vandy can handle that a number of ways. Time to move on. Trust me on this one.

To add to this since Vandy is a private school that essentially have double the schollies they can use for baseball as opposed to the rest of the SEC. They also get to use stuff like minority schollies to help out. Schools like Vandy, Rice and Stanford should be in the CWS every year with the stacked playing field they have.

I'm not saying that it would be a bad hire, but I would be shocked if we did not end up with Casey Dunn. After watching how everything unfolded with the football hiring, this AD is going to go with the easiest hire to make. I love Malzahn and I'm not saying that he was a bad hire either. But we're going to get the guy that has connections to Auburn that it would a step up for their careers.

Guys, you can forget Corbin. I live in Nashville. and I can tell you Tim Corbin is as set in one place as anyone could possibly be. It was reported last week that he has as many as 30 highly regarded prospects waiting to play for him. Money is no problem; Vandy can handle that a number of ways. Time to move on. Trust me on this one.

To add to this since Vandy is a private school that essentially have double the schollies they can use for baseball as opposed to the rest of the SEC. They also get to use stuff like minority schollies to help out. Schools like Vandy, Rice and Stanford should be in the CWS every year with the stacked playing field they have.

Auburn can do the same thing. Vandy and the other private schools don't have an unfair advantage. The simple matter is their coaches go get players that qualify for academic scholarships and our coaches, at least so far, haven't pursued this opportunity. Auburn offers scholarships to outstanding students, all that we have to do is identify outstanding students that also happen to be baseball players. That's all Vandy is doing, giving academic scholarships to students that qualify for them. If a few of those happen to be baseball players, all the better. We can do the same.

And NO, that won't work for football and basketball recruited athletes, the rules for those sports are different.

Just wondering why some people are so high on Jim Case from Jacksonville State.

Not sure if you watched the last Jax St./ Auburn game. If you did, then you wouldn't be making that statement. That was the most disciplined team at the plate that I have seen in college baseball this year.

Jacksonville St. ranks 43rd in team BB, 173rd in team OBP, 193rd in team BA, 127th in SLG% and were 205th in team Fielding %. They struck out more than they walked 241:381 and struck out 40 more times than their opponent.

Mike Kinnison is in his 17th season as head coach of one of the most storied programs in collegiate baseball. In taking over the program in 1997, Kinnison was following in the shadow of Coach Dave “Boo” Ferris and Bill Marchant. However, Kinnison has casted a mighty shadow himself.

On March 20, 2011, Coach Kinnison tied his former coach and mentor Dave “Boo” Ferriss for the school’s career wins mark at 639. In 26 seasons, Ferriss compiled a 639-387-8 record as head coach of the Statesmen. Kinnison accomplished the feat in 15 seasons as skipper.

In 2010, it was announced that Kinnison was an inductee for the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and on July 31, 2011, Kinnision joined the Hall of Fame with the class of 2011. Receiving the highest honor an athlete or coach can receive in Mississippi, Kinnison is a legend still hard at work.

Since 1997, Kinnison has accomplished an unbelievable career record of 703-216-1 (.765). He averages 44 wins per season as head coach. His all-time career record, including high school, is an astounding 995-297-1 (.768).

In 2004, he earned the ABCA “National Coach of the Year” award after leading the Statesmen to the program’s first-ever NCAA Division II National Championship. He has also been named the Gulf South Coach of the Year six times and appropriately named “Coach of the Decade” by the GSC in 2010.

In his 16 seasons as head coach, Kinnison has guided the Statesmen to the 2004 NCAA National title, five College World Series appearances (2001, 2002, 2004, 2005 & 2012), 10 NCAA South Regional appearances (1999-2005, 2007, 2008 & 2012), 11 GSC Western Division titles (1997-2005, 2007-2008), five NCAA South/South Central Regional championships and five Gulf South Conference titles.

Following after their coach, the Statesmen continue to achieve high honors themselves as 12 were placed on the GSC’s All-Decade Team. This included the talented Jud Thigpen who was awarded West Division Player of the Decade.

Kinnison has also coached two American Baseball Coaches Association National Players of the Year, as Dee Haynes (2000) and Jud Thigpen (2004) earned the honor.

Before taking over the reigns as head coach, Kinnison served as an assistant coach for three seasons under Bill Marchant. Kinnison was an important component to the 1994 and 1996 teams, who accomplished trips to the Gulf South Conference Championships and the College World Series. In his three years as an assistant, the Statesmen compiled an impressive 138-36 (.793) record.

The Benton native was a standout shortstop for Coach Dave “Boo” Ferris from 1977-1978. Kinnison garnered ABCA Second Team All-American honors during the 1978 season. In that same year, he batted .343 with 25 doubles and 56 RBI’s in leading the Statesmen to a second place finish at the NCAA College World Series. Kinnison currently holds the single season record for doubles (25-tied) and previously held the record for most games played (62) in a season.

Before returning to his alma mater, Kinnison was an accomplished high school coach in Mississippi. He coached at Lee Academy (1979-81), Jackson Prep (1982-92) and Madison Central (1993). He claimed three Mississippi Private School Association State Championships at Jackson Prep in 1982, 1990 and 1991. During his prep head-coaching career, Kinnison achieved an overall record of 292-83 (.779).

Kinnison earned his Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics Education in 1977 from Delta State University. He later earned a Master’s degree in Mathematics Education from DSU in 1978. The accomplished mathematician served as an instructor at DSU for many years.

Kinnison is married to the former Cindy Colbert of Grenada. They are the proud parents of Mary Claire and Kate, both graduates of Delta State University. The Kinnison’s reside in Cleveland.

Just wondering why some people are so high on Jim Case from Jacksonville State.

Not sure if you watched the last Jax St./ Auburn game. If you did, then you wouldn't be making that statement. That was the most disciplined team at the plate that I have seen in college baseball this year.

Jacksonville St. ranks 43rd in team BB, 173rd in team OBP, 193rd in team BA, 127th in SLG% and were 205th in team Fielding %. They struck out more than they walked 241:381 and struck out 40 more times than their opponent.

They wore us out, twice. We had to make a miraculous comeback to win one of the two. You failed to mention they walked almost 60 more times than their opponent's. Somehow they managed to go 32-26 and 22-8 in their conference.

Mike Kinnison would be a great choice,from Delta State.

He is an outstanding coach IMO. I would love to have him. Honestly though, I don't see what we could offer that TCU can't.

Mike Kinnison would be a great choice,from Delta State.

Very very impressive resume. I think it would be hard for any school to pry him away from there. Would love to find his clone though.

Tried to post earlier about this, but for some reason it was deleted. Nottt really sure why. Anyway, what about him? The current head coach at NC State, he's been to a regional 9 times out of the last 10 years. We offered him in 08, but he turned us down. Other message boards claim he's the number one choice at the moment, but that may just be a message board rumor.

I think Casey Dunn would be a great hire! I am at a loss as to why there is so much opposition to hiring Casey. I think he would be the best coach Auburn has had since Hal Baird or however Hal spells his last name. Casey would be the kind of coach that could bring Auburn baseball back to where it was in the days of Coach Baird. We need a coach who is young and who has the tools to be a successful coach at Auburn who would be here for a long time. I know there are other great coaches out there whose names have been mentioned that would be a great hire for Auburn. I just hope we get a coach that can have solid success and bring Auburn Baseball back to where it was in the 90s.

I think Casey Dunn would be a great hire! I am at a loss as to why there is so much opposition to hiring Casey.

1 big reason for me is his teams are worse fundamentally on defense than the Auburn teams have been...and that's saying alot.

I think Casey would be a good hire. I wouldn't complain. I think some are holding that he played for us against him, to be quite honest. When his name first came up I wanted to see how he had been doing. I ran across this... http://www.baseballa...12/2614504.html (#8 on that list looks very very impressive also)....then when I was trying to find that again, I ran across this..... http://www.al.com/sp...oach_casey.html (it's from algump.com, sorry)

This really stood out to me......

Samford recorded one winning season in the 15 seasons before Dunn's arrival in 2005. The Bulldogs have since record six winning seasons, including a trip to the Tallahassee Regional in 2012 (two wins against Mississippi State, two losses to Florida State).

It'll be the same as it was with the Gary Patterson talk. Schlossnagle is practically an institution there. And tcu will do what it takes to retain him. I don't follow TCU as much as I do auburn but they are my number two team in college sports. TCU had their first down year in pretty much his career there and it was akin to their football program. A large influx of freshman talent plus graduated seniors and moving into a better conference. Give TCU two years and they will be running train on the big12 just like they have any every conference they've been a member of.

What about former JSU baseball coach Rudy Abbott? I know he is old and old school, but he won back to back National Championships with the Gamecocks and knows about developing players.

Please put all potential coaches in this thread and don't start a separate thread for every coach. It clutters the board and isn't necessary. All threads listing a particular coach have been merged with this thread. Also, remember, we don't facilitate rumors here. Keep the rumors off the board please.

Jim Case from JSU...right up the street. Rudy Abbott serves as some sort of a Commissioner in and around Calhoun County...he probably wouldn't be available. Someone in a previous thread mentioned Rudy's name.

Archived