2014 4* DE Andrew Williams commits to AU!

ellitor

Maybe I don't see the difference because I don't let the every whimper of these kids enter my consciousness. I try not to read too much into any info gleaned from the recruiting boards. However, I saw nothing out of the ordinary with the Evans recruitment maybe because I wasn't paying close enough attention. Nothing I heard sounded like a dog and pony show or daily updates on their plans every waking moment, but again I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. And I assure you: I am no troll.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rolls, I think Ronnie Clark handled his recruitment in a mature way, and he signed with a school I loathe. If you can't see a difference between Clark/Williams (and lots of others) and Foster/Evans/Yeldon (or if you want examples outside of AU/UA battles, look at the joke of Willie Williams' process), I don't think we're ever going to see eye to eye on this one.

One guy acted like a mature, respectful guy. The other trolled the "losing" staff and invited that school's signees to his ceremony only to surprise them and sign with their rival. I think highly of the one, not so for the other.

I think you nailed it with RC. As much as I hated him going to Bama, I was very impressed with how he handled the whole process. Probably a big reason why I was so hopeful that he'd eventually flip.

I didn't think Evans was too awful til the last week or two, but man did it get crazy in a hurry

Maybe I don't see the difference because I don't let the every whimper of these kids enter my consciousness. I try not to read too much into any info gleaned from the recruiting boards. However, I saw nothing out of the ordinary with the Evans recruitment maybe because I wasn't paying close enough attention. Nothing I heard sounded like a dog and pony show or daily updates on their plans every waking moment, but again I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. And I assure you: I am no troll.

So you choose to be uninformed about the situation you feel compelled to comment on and insult others?

If you saw no difference between the recruitment of Evans and Clark then, as you say, you weren't paying attention,. That would be ANY attention. If you weren't paying attrition then why are you criticizing those that were? Since you weren't paying any attention you don't know what went on, others that were paying attention do know.

I guess it is easy to see the devil in the details (of the Evans recruitment) when we seem to constantly look for the devil in the details. That said, it did seem awfully fishy (the party) looking back on it now.

Really??? This thread should be celebrating Andrew Williams signing with AU.If you want to talk Ronnie Clark then take it to HIS thread.

The conversation started when people thanked Williams for handling himself like a man. Then an "Auburn fan" that wasn't paying attention said the only difference between Williams and Evans was the final decision. Thus the side bar on Clark (a guy that signed elsewhere and still has respect).

Again, thank you Mr. Williams for behaving like an Auburn Man even before you arrived on campus.

The conversation started when people thanked Williams for handling himself like a man. Then an "Auburn fan" that wasn't paying attention said the only difference between Williams and Evans was the final decision. Thus the side bar on Clark (a guy that signed elsewhere and still has respect).

Again, thank you Mr. Williams for behaving like an Auburn Man even before you arrived on campus.

Loved his smile when he said..."Im an Auburn man" AW is great pick up for the program and his superior maturity in handling the process compared to another guy who is still getting a lot of attention even though he went another way was clearly obvious to me.

In his interview Andrew said, "I'm going to come in and work hard, that's the Auburn way." I'm looking forward to watching him for the next 4 or 5 years. War Eagle, Andrew

What I appreciate about Williams is how he went about his recruitment and his announcement....mentioning the "Auburn way".

What I hate is to hear some kid say... "I'm making a business decision" as if all the schools were the same and that only one coach or coaching staff had the ability to develop his skills.....and the only thing that mattered was the "best deal" as if the kid were buying a new car....and it did not really matter where he would spend the next four years of his life.

I have yet to see a player go to ...say...bama... and then on to the NFL who would not have had that same NFL preparation at AU or a dozen other top rated Div 1 schools. The idea that bama and its coaches have the unique ability to take a young player and help move him along to the NFL when no other school could have done the same thing is just hogwash IMO. A coach that puts 2* and 3* kids into the NFL has a lot more to talk about than a school that takes 5* talent and then just passes them along after 3 years.

What I like is when a recruit like Andrew Williams recognizes that there is something special and different about AU and he makes his decision because he looks forward to spending 4 years or so on our beautiful campus and developing his talents under the guidance of our excellent coaches....and becoming part of the Auburn family. ...doing things the "Auburn Way".

• 3 months later...

Recruiting Rewind: Religious beliefs of Auburn, UGA and Clemson coaches made a difference

By Michael Carvell

UGA’s Mark Richt and Clemson’s Dabo Swinney are two college football coaches who are widely known for their religious beliefs.

But one of Georgia’s top prospects said it was another coach who made a bigger spiritual impression on him during the recruiting process.

“Gus Malzahn,” said Andrew Williams, a 4-star defensive end who ended up signing with Auburn over his two other finalists, UGA and Clemson.

Williams attends Eagles Landing Christian Academy, and his Christian beliefs – along with those of his future coach — played a factor into his decision.

1255482.jpg?w=450&h=351

Andrew Williams committed to Auburn over UGA and Clemson on signing day (247sports)

“It was a big part,” Williams said. “That’s what all three of (my finalist) had in common – great Christian leaders as head coaches. All three of them.

“I feel like as I went through the recruiting process that if the head guy was a great Christian leader, then everybody below him followed him. Even if they weren’t, they would have to pick up on some of the things he was teaching. That’s mainly what stood out with those three schools to me.”

All three coaches discussed spiritual matters, but it was Malzahn who had the biggest impact on Williams.

“On Coach Malzhan’s visit to my house, he would just come in and share his faith,” Williams said. “He invited my head coach over, and told me to invite whomever else I wanted to come over. He would just share his faith and sign autographs. That was real cool. Throughout the whole process, he was just like that. He was the same guy consistently.”

Did any of Williams’ friends come over for autographs? “Yes, all of them. Even people I didn’t know. They just got word that Malzahn was coming over to my house or to the school. He never said ‘no’ to anybody. That was really cool.”

more

W E84 the complete article is a great read. Thanks for the post.

I agree, nice read, Thanks for posting it.

W E84 the complete article is a great read. Thanks for the post.

I agree, nice read, Thanks for posting it.

Yep. AU got a great kid. And AU expects him to play day one. Bonus.

Archived