Golloway named next AU baseball coach

I guess when you have the time for "On the job training" (BOT allowing Jacobs OJT) and when you have the money AU has (thanks to all of us and the very wealthy BOT) even Jacobs can eventually get it right!

So we have the money for Paw's buyout (after beyond absurd football coaches buyout) and the money to pay Golloway?! The BOT insists on keeping Jacobs. So in a nutshell; the BOT has enough money to pay all buyouts, keep Jacobs in office and pay new big-time coaches!

Maybe I should say: thanks to the BOT, we will get what you all are willing to pay for, while all the time, keeping your puppet Jacobs on the job!

Thanks again!!!

This is not a time to bash JJ. He finally did 2 things right, maybe 3 if Gus pans out. Give the man the credit he deserves.

I also want to thank Pawlowski foe the recruiting class for this year. Now we have a coach that can develop them.

Thanks for setting me straight E! I guess I just feel for a place as special as Auburn, these hires are long overdue! None-the-less, "better late than never"

Congrats on the hires JJ!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These 2 hires are HUGE! Both coaches win a lot of games... And do it consistently! Way to go Jay. you earned your keep with these two. Now couple in the fact that he was able to work with all of our football coaches and found a way to get them here! As bad as the year was for athletics on the field, it could turn out to be a GREAT year for our athletics in the long run.

So....I guess our new coach actually WAS still busy coaching a team in the tournament, despite the doubts expressed here.

We never know what's going on behind the scenes.....or why certain situations play out the way they do.

From today's presser ...

They've arrived, #Auburn AD Jay Jacobs with new baseball coach Sunny Golloway. Jacobs starts it off with a hearty WE.

Jacobs: "It's been a fun few days here in athletics" That's one way to describe monster hires in baseball and softball.

Jacobs specifically thanked Joe Beckwith and Tim Hudson for their advice in the coaching search.

With winning, Jacobs wanted a baseball coach with track record of developing players. He mentioned Golloway having 100 drafted players.

Golloway sporting an orange and blue striped tie. His first words: "Let's start this off right ... war eagle."

Mike Szvetitz ‏@Szvetitz

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs introduces new baseball coach Sunny Golloway, gives him an AU pin

BM0CBf4CIAAHwH5.jpg

Golloway on why he wanted to be at AU: "I found out very early that there's a commitment to win championships, and that's what we're about."

When Golloway returned from his interview, he told his wife "you are really going to love these people. I promise you."

Golloway: "I know that we're in a hotbed of baseball talent, and we're going to be able to bring those students to Auburn University."

Golloway: "I won't say we had the pleasure – we had opportunity of going to South Carolina last year for Super Regional." And LSU this year.

Golloway on recruiting: "Real simple: If you know baseball & you know talent & you have a university young men desire ... it's an easy fit."

Golloway said he has had prior opportunities to come to the SEC, but the time wasn't right. This time: "The timing in life was perfect."

When did Golloway know for sure he'd be making the move to #Auburn? "When I met Jay Jacobs," he said. Jacobs won the OU coach over.

Golloway said he has a good start on putting together his staff, which includes some former Oklahoma assistants.

Golloway 1st impressions: likable guy, confident. Must learn SEC, isn't total stranger to league. Smart, too. Dropped football references.

Golloway also comes off as aggressive. Several times he mentioned hit-and-runs, stealing bases, throwing runners out. Plays attacking style.

Golloway: "I won't pull a Jimmie Johnson and tell you we're going to go win Super Bowl, but I will tell you we're going to win ... quickly."

BM0JYX9CEAApCcm.jpg

Sunny Golloway agreed to a 5-year deal worth $650K annually, more than double former #Auburn coach John Pawlowski's compensation.

#Auburn coach Sunny Golloway shows his No. 29 jersey with AD Jay Jacobs. It was SS Dan Glevenyak's number.

BM0N5PXCcAAFP2s.jpg

A handshake to seal the deal between Sunny Golloway and Jay Jacobs. #Auburn

BM0OELqCIAAnJ3k.jpg

Sunny Golloway knows softball coach Clint Myers from Myers' days in JC baseball. Joked SG: He can give baseball advice, I can't do softball.

SG knows Gus Malzahn. Both once called Tulsa home: Golloway at Oral Roberts, Malzahn at Tulsa. SG said he had good chat with Gus on Friday.

@AUBlog

"Pitching and defense win Championships". Could not agree more Coach. Also liked to hear that he likes to be agressive on the base paths with steals, hit-and-run's, and bunts. I really thought we lacked in a few of those dept.'s under Coach Paw. I'm very happy to have him as our HC. War Eagle Coach Golloway!

May I say, looks like the wife and kids will fit right in on the plains?!

Beautiful family; welcome!!

Very good hire.This guy can help us get back to the coach Hal days.

He should recruit well,he is a good handler of pitching staffs from what people are saying.With the new bats,you have to play baseball the way it was meant to be played.That gorilla ball in the late 90's up until recently,was'nt baseball IMO.Back to the basics,pitching,defense,solid baserunning and clutch hitting.

lol. Nothing compared to his oldest daughter who was not there. She is on an elite level in terms of beauty.

Any idea on assistants? As someone who lives in Trussville, a coach I would be interested to see in college coaching is Jeff Mauldin. He's done wonders for our baseball program and did the same thing at Clay-Chalkville and Pelham.

Any idea on assistants? As someone who lives in Trussville, a coach I would be interested to see in college coaching is Jeff Mauldin. He's done wonders for our baseball program and did the same thing at Clay-Chalkville and Pelham.

In the long article by Collegeandmag they said the Oklahoma pitching coach is likely to come. Not sure about the other 2 assistants there though.

Has anybody broached the subject of orange catcher's face masks ? :outtahere:

I am surprised a4e hasn't

Yup, once they figure out which orange and blue is correct! ^-^

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: My wife born and raised in Meridien, Miss. Lot of friends in Orange Beach area. So some Southern ties.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Very impressed by Jay Jacobs, way he treats people who work for him and way they feel about him.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Thursday before Super Regional notified by my reps AU was interested, asked if I was interested.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Auburn didn't reach out to him until after LSU beat Oklahoma in the Super Regional.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Unfortunate that OU pitcher Dillon Overton ripped him on Twitter. Got an apologetic text from him today.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Reached out to Hal Baird. He has a place here and we want all former players involved.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: I'm a man of God. Connected with Jay Jacobs on that level. Wears 29 bc of Jeremiah 29:11.

Sunny Golloway on Smashmouth: Jay Jacobs read that scripture to me and my wife as we all held hands before the press conference. She cried.

@KevinScarbinsky

"been contacted by Gregg Olsen" wants former AU players around program

@scottgriffinsz

Re: Wanting former players around...

My girlfriend's dad was on the '67 CWS team. He has mentioned before that former players didn't feel as welcome over the last several years as they had in years past. Can't wait to talk to him and get his opinion on this hire.

lol. Nothing compared to his oldest daughter who was not there. She is on an elite level in terms of beauty.

She will fit right in as well! :)

She will fit right in as well! :)

I remember "that" issue, she is a looker fo sho.

No doubt, she's an 11! B)

Yup. She posed in Playboy in one of 'Girls of the ... Conference' spreads they do. As an Oklahoma State coed.

Yup. She posed in Playboy in one of 'Girls of the ... Conference' spreads they do. As an Oklahoma State coed.

Gives whole new meaning or meanings to Cowboy Up!

You pervs are talking about one of the daughters of one of our coaches. Now if anybody has a link to these pics, please post it or PM it to me. Thanks!

You pervs are talking about one of the daughters of one of our coaches. Now if anybody has a link to these pics, please post it or PM it to me. Thanks!

PM coming your way.

Archived