2013 3* P Jimmy Hutchinson commits to AU! (grayshirt)

RunInRed

Not to have to worry about a punter for 4 years, 5 with a red shirt, would be a nice position to be in. Punters are worth it if they are good enough and Hutchinson is ranked #1 in the nation on 247.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the recruiting services and coaches often grossly underestimate the value of kickers and punters. In this class, given the choice of a top kicker/punter or an extra DT, I'm going with the kicker/punter.

I will say this much. If Hutch is let go then that likely means the staff feels it can get close to the max number of signees with other recruits.

Either that, or Gus and Rhett really have decided to go for it on every 4th down. That would be exciting, too.

Personally, I like having good kickers -- so I hope he sticks!

He will stick...It's just whether or not AU lets him stick..

If it comes down to a kicker or a DT -- a really good one -- I'd take the DT. But I sure wouldn't mess around with a great kicker for something less vital.

Britt... Tell that to the puppies if they would of had a good fg kicker they would of been able to beat Bama and played in the BCS championship.... Missed a fg at the half. I they would of hit it they have won it with another at the end. That's why you use a scholarship on a good kicker...

I've always been a little afraid that the kickers might be dropped. When CGM first came we heard that he visited most of big-time commits but I never heard of a visit with kickers. I thought maybe he wasn't sure we needed so many ST guys on scholarship. I think some schools don't sign kickers except as invited walkons, making them try out and hopefully earn a scholarship later. Don't know what Coach's philosophy is on this. Then I heard kickers were cool with new staff, so I thought maybe everything was good. Looks like maybe staff is having second thoughts after evaluation of kicking game. I'm thinking it would give us bad PR to do something like this so late in game. If one decommits, I would think both might be gone. Keeping my fingers crossed it gets worked out.

Kickers probably get their scholly offers by e-mail. Nobody would waste gas money actually visiting one of them in person...do ya think? :dunno:

I'm more concerned with making a commitment to a player that remained committed to you through 3 and 9 and a coaching turnover. Sometimes, the right thing to do is just the right thing to do regardless of whether that player is still the best you can get. If and when Jackass from Tuscaloosa does this, we as Auburn fans would be talking about what that says about his character. Granted, my feelings are based on a big assumption that I have little knowledge about.

Remember me...

Wes+Byrum+Tostitos+BCS+National+Championship+mZ0a2WIwtMxl.jpg

I know Hutchinson is a punter but I think this states the importance of good kickers, How many games did we win because of this guy...

I will say this much. If Hutch is let go then that likely means the staff feels it can get close to the max number of signees with other recruits.

Either that, or Gus and Rhett really have decided to go for it on every 4th down. That would be exciting, too.

Personally, I like having good kickers -- so I hope he sticks!

He will stick...It's just whether or not AU lets him stick..

If it comes down to a kicker or a DT -- a really good one -- I'd take the DT. But I sure wouldn't mess around with a great kicker for something less vital.

Britt... Tell that to the puppies if they would of had a good fg kicker they would of been able to beat Bama and played in the BCS championship.... Missed a fg at the half. I they would of hit it they have won it with another at the end. That's why you use a scholarship on a good kicker...

I'm in favor of giving scholarships to kickers (punters and placekickers). I was pointing out that I'd rather keep Hutchinson rather than swap his scholly out for another player, with the possible exception of someone like Monty Adams. But I don't think that's the 'trade' we're talking about, as Mikey pointed out. I was just being hyperbolic.

I'm confused!?! Have we officially pulled a scholly offer or is all this banter just conjecture?

I've seen nothing official

I'm confused!?! Have we officially pulled a scholly offer or is all this banter just conjecture?

I know we're in desparate need of big uglies, but when's the last time we called time out as time was expiring so a DT could make a tackle to win a game? Anybody remember how we beat Oregon?

I know we're in desparate need of big uglies, but when's the last time we called time out as time was expiring so a DT could make a tackle to win a game? Anybody remember how we beat Oregon?

Nick Fairley tackled a RB in the backfield when Oregon was going in at the 5 yard line ? ;)

His last few tweets:

First he gets this tweet out of the blue and you can tell by his response that it surprised him:

Jimmy Hutchinson@Kicker_88

Are you kidding me?

@Kicker_88 u still commited?

Then a few hours later:

1. Jimmy Hutchinson@Kicker_88 I'm just gonna want to sleep tomorrow but I know I'm gonna have a lot of phone calls to make. #Whatever #Unsure
    Jimmy Hutchinson@Kicker_88 These last 2 days have honestly sucked

I am NOT liking this at all. This kid has supported AU throughout this entire mess. He's been committed for a year for God's sake. I really hope this isn't his offer being pulled. Even greyshirting at this point seems to lack class. Someone please find out what the HE** is going on here!

I am NOT liking this at all. This kid has supported AU throughout this entire mess. He's been committed for a year for God's sake. I really hope this isn't his offer being pulled. Even greyshirting at this point seems to lack class. Someone please find out what the HE** is going on here!

^^^This^^^

JH and BM posted last night that Hutch and Auburn parted ways but pulled it down before people could really read it. Apparently they jumped the gun on something.

Archived