George Zimmerman Trial

Well this thing has been going IMO to the defense. The prosecutor's star witness was about as poor credibility wise as you can get, and the defense's witness today has been a BOOM for them.

I think he walks. Anyone see this differently?

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought he chased him down and killed him just because he was black. Zimmerman is not white himself. I think he had too much john wayne about him and should have minded his own business. Maybe the kid was a little hot tempered. It all depends on what the jury believes or wants to believe. I would be interested to watch if i had time.

I haven't been able to watch it, but from everything I've heard, the prosecution doesn't seem to know what they're doing. This guy, Good, is supposed to be a witness for the prosecution....but he is a defense attorney's dream.

I agree with alexava. Zimmerman should have minded his own business and none of this happens. That should be the main point the prosecution should be driving home - not the *possible* racial side of this. I am completely shocked that the prosecution would use the ghettorific girl they did as their "star" witness. Why would you want to link Trayvon to that person is beyond me. Zimmerman may have shot him in self defense - but he ultimately created the situation. Wether good or bad, Trayvon should be alive today.

What I remember is that the local police and prosecutor were going to drop this as a case of self defense. Then the demonstrations started and scared the state government in to appointing a special prosecutor to go forward with a criminal case against Zimmerman.

http://www.thv11.com/news/article/203417/288/Fla-governor-appoints-special-prosecutor-in-Trayvon-Martins-case?odyssey=mod%257Cnewswell%257Ctext%257CFRONTPAGE%257Ct

If Zimmerman had stayed in or near his car and waited for the police, this would not have happen.

If Zimmerman had not been armed and then got out to follow Martin, most likely Zimmerman would have been found beaten up or dead on the sidewalk.

I think we can all agree Zimmerman should not have followed Trayvon, or at least not continued to approach him once police were called.

But as far as his guilt in self-defense I think he's going to get off because none of the testimony today has been going anywhere to prove he wasn't defending himself.

Do I think he's guilty of manslaughter or something similar? Yes. I don't think his story adds up and unfortunately, Martin isn't here to give his version of events.

Do I think he's going to be convicted? No. The only other firsthand witness is dead. The few other witnesses only saw the fight at the end and not what led up to it. I just don't think the prosecution is going to have enough evidence to get a conviction.

Zimmerman admits that he killed the kid. He admits that he misobeyed police orders and followed him. None of the witnesses today could corroborate his story. The young girl that everyone is bashing was the last person to speak with Martin. It is disgusting that people are dismissing her entirely based on the fact that she is poorly educated and overweight.

If he gets off without a conviction of some sort then there really is no justice in Florida.

Zimmerman admits that he killed the kid. He admits that he misobeyed police orders and followed him. None of the witnesses today could corroborate his story. The young girl that everyone is bashing was the last person to speak with Martin. It is disgusting that people are dismissing her entirely based on the fact that she is poorly educated and overweight.

If he gets off without a conviction of some sort then there really is no justice in Florida.

But there aren't any witnesses that can contradict it. The young girl can give us Trayvon's side (or at least what she says Trayvon said), but can't contradict Zimmerman's version of events either.

If he gets off without a conviction, it's because despite what you and I believe to have happened, the evidence just isn't strong enough.

I don't think we will ever get the truth. No witnesses with any sense has testified so far for the prosecution. Plus Zimmerman's head was cut pretty badly. And, why didn't Trayvon just run home? He was a short distance from his house. Too many questions that no one can answer with any certainty.

I don't think we will ever get the truth. No witnesses with any sense has testified so far for the prosecution. Plus Zimmerman's head was cut pretty badly. And, why didn't Trayvon just run home? He was a short distance from his house. Too many questions that no one can answer with any certainty.

Never get the truth? What don't we know ? Witness testifies matches to Zimmerman's story, and claims it was him screaming for help, not Trayvon.

It was a tragedy which did not need to happen, but it was not 2nd degree murder.

Never get the truth? What don't we know ? Witness testifies matches to Zimmerman's story, and claims it was him screaming for help, not Trayvon.

It was a tragedy which did not need to happen, but it was not 2nd degree murder.

I agree totally.

I agree totally.

Yep

The other thing this trial continues to point out is that the jury trial system is being compromised by the mass media. The national media has decided that this trial deserves national attention. This and several other trials during the era of 24 hour cable TV are good entertainment to pull in viewers and advertising revenue. Finding 6 jurors plus alternates that are not aware of the case in great detail is very difficult. If Zimmerman and Martin were of the same race we might not even know about this trial, if there even was one.

What I meant was that Zimmerman was cut up pretty badly. The way the media is twisting this into a racial issue is typical. Maybe my post wasn't clear. If you turned this around and Trayvon had shot Zimmerman, this case would never had seen the light of day.

Based of the evidence I have heard, I think Zimmerman walks. Zimmerman used poor judgment, but I am still not sure that he broke any laws. My guess is that we will then see some mini-riots since Zimmerman is not black.

Trayvon acted suspiciously, which got the attention of the neighborhood watch guy, who then took actions which made HIM look suspicious to Trayvon. Zimmerman could have done some things to help defuse the situation, but Trayvon decided to get all MMA tough guy, because he felt he was being 'dissed', or some such crap, and it got him killed.

Tragic, but not criminal,imo.

I agree with Grumps. He's likely to walk, but it will be put out there as him walking because he could pass for white and the victim was black. And while I don't wish to discount the reality of racial prejudice in the judicial system, that's not why that may happen here. The problem is that we don't have any eyewitnesses to how the confrontation started -- who instigated it and so on. The only witnesses we have are those who saw/heard things at the tail end. And that's not enough to determine whether GZ forced a confrontation then was getting his ass kicked or whether Martin jumped him. I do think there are big holes in Zimmerman's story, but I don't think it will be enough for a jury to send a guy to jail for 10-15 years or more. It's frustrating when you feel something unlawful probably happened, but I prefer a system where we try our best to prevent innocent people from being convicted. Better a 100 guilty men to walk than one innocent one to suffer wrongfully.

Trayvon acted suspiciously

...according to Zimmerman. We have no corroboration of his take on how Martin was acting.

, which got the attention of the neighborhood watch guy, who then took actions which made HIM look suspicious to Trayvon.

...or anyone else. I don't think there's a person on this board that wouldn't think it was suspicious that some guy they didn't know started following them all over the place at night.

Zimmerman could have done some things to help defuse the situation,

...such as stay in his truck and stop following the kid like the dispatcher basically told him to.

but Trayvon decided to get all MMA tough guy, because he felt he was being 'dissed', or some such crap, and it got him killed.

No, he got all tough guy because some creepy guy he didn't know was stalking him all over the neighborhood. This wasn't about being "dissed", it was about an armed dude with nothing to indicate he was law enforcement or even law-enforcement's runt brother, the Neighborhood Watch Guy, following him. What happened from there we will never really know, but if Zimmerman and Martin just happen to walk by each other without Zimmerman's preceding actions, there is zilch to indicate Martin was at all looking for a fight or cared about "dissing" or any thing of the sort.

Tragic indeed. Probably criminal, imo...but not likely to be proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Trayvon acted suspiciously, which got the attention of the neighborhood watch guy, who then took actions which made HIM look suspicious to Trayvon. Zimmerman could have done some things to help defuse the situation, but Trayvon decided to get all MMA tough guy, because he felt he was being 'dissed', or some such crap, and it got him killed.

Well, maybe Trayvon simply reacted to an unidentified guy in civilian cloths walking up and confronting him while showing his pistol, just as Zimmerman testified he did.

It's funny how everyone fills in the details from their own paradigms.

Everyone defending Zimmerman's actions seems to want to start the timer at the point Zimmerman confronted him.

I don't see it that way. I see the clock starting at the moment Zimmerman got out of his car to approach Trayvon. That action is what started the whole chain of events, not Trayvon's reaction at being confronted. That is why Zimmerman is responsible for what happened and should be found guilty.

Otherwise, the state of Florida is giving a green light for anyone to arm themselves and seek out confrontations in the name of vigilantism.

That is why there are 6 women who will decide if this was murder or not. We simply don't know. GZ is guilty of poor judgement and maybe some other crime(lesser than murder). I just need more info than i have to decide what his intentions were. The 6 panel jury in noncapital trials in Fl. eas news to me. I read about that today, interesting.

Both are at fault in my opinion. Egos gone wild. Zimmerman profiled the kid, Trayvon bowed up and banged the guys head on the concrete and was shot. If Zimmerman doesn't get some time for this, the racial machine will go into hyperdrive.

Both are at fault in my opinion. Egos gone wild. Zimmerman profiled the kid, Trayvon bowed up and banged the guys head on the concrete and was shot. If Zimmerman doesn't get some time for this, the racial machine will go into hyperdrive.

It is not unreasonable to assume Trayvon thought he was fighting for his life.

Trayvon wasn't stalking Zimmerman. Zimmerman was stalking Trayvon. Why would Trayvon jump an armed man unless he felt threatened?

It is not unreasonable to assume Trayvon thought he was fighting for his life.

Trayvon wasn't stalking Zimmerman. Zimmerman was stalking Trayvon. Why would Trayvon jump an armed man unless he felt threatened?

the gun was likely concealed. If travon or anyone else sees a gun they likely flee.

Archived