George Zimmerman Trial

The 911 dispatcher is not an "authority." They can advise you on what to do, but it's not like he ignored a direct order from a police officer.

That said, this confrontation happened because of Zimmerman. Without him playing vigilante mall cop and stalking the kid, this incident never happens. But that alone isn't enough to convict.

we basically agree. Its a bad bad situation. Based on the evidence we have, from the media, i couldn't convict.

Based on the hysteria that's been genned up by the media, if there isn't a conviction, they'll claim it's open season on young black males.

Just don't tell them about Chicago. <_<

What "hysteria" ginned up by the media?

the hysteria that made the PD go back and make an arrest after their initial investigation didn't feel it was warranted.

That sounds like what the press is supposed to do. Reveal cover-ups and mistakes in government.

Are you suggesting the DA pursued charges without merit to simply assuage the press?

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not everyone in the Sanford police department felt that way. A detective just testified his original investigation made him lean toward suggesting a manslaughter charge if not minimally second degree. That testimony came from Chris Serino, the former lead investigator on the case.

This is true not everyone in the police department agreed with what to charge him with at first or to charge him at all. Stand your ground has some very good merits and some very bad ones.

I disagree. The law allows you to carry a gun for the purpose of self defense only. That should naturally include an obligation to retreat if possible before using your weapon. If retreat is not possible, one doesn't need the stand your ground law to begin with.

All that "stand your ground" laws do is to provide additional legal latitude to shoot someone in situations where it wasn't really necessary to protect yourself. In other words, it provides permission to be a vigilante.

GZ has stated he did not leave his vehicle to follow TM, but to get a look at an address (that he was asked for from dispatch) to relay to police.

That's where his story breaks down though. If you see the maps that show where his truck was parked when police arrived, he was near the corner of a street. He didn't have that far to walk to find a street sign. And he says he was walking back to his truck when Martin "jumped" him. Yet somehow, they ended up over a football field in length and around a row of townhouses away from that area when GZ shot him. That just doesn't wash to me.

This is the police video taken in a walk through of what happened according to Zimmerman. I don't find anything unusual about it at all. The "corner" you are talking about is not an actual corner where two streets meet, but rather a sharp curve. Therefore, there is no street sign present.

At this time, GZ actually tells the dispatch that the suspect has disappeared. The dispatch asks if he still wants the police to come and he says, "yes." The dispatch asks again for an address for the police to go to and GZ tells them he will meet them at the clubhouse at the beginning of the complex (thinking TM had left the scene). GZ was on his way back to his truck when he was confronted by TM.

Considering both sides, TM didn't try to avoid GZ. The direction that GZ says TM headed while he was parked at that curve is in the direction of his residence. He had a clear path leading to the residence where he was staying, but did not go. He chose to stay. In fact, he actually waited in a dark area for GZ to pass by on his way back to his truck and approached GZ from behind.

Homer posted transcripts of Zimmerman saying his firearm was visible and that he was sure TM saw it. After watching this video, you will see that this was after TM had punched GZ and had him on the ground. So, his post was misleading. This seems far more logical to me. Nobody in their right mind is going to attack someone who they know has a firearm on their hip.

What I take most from this video is that TM actually came back towards GZ, or followed him as he was going back to his truck. It kinda moots the whole "GZ was stalking TM" talk. It seems the incident was over, then TM decided to follow GZ and attack him.

I know this is GZ's account of the night, but if GZ got out of his vehicle to confront TM and TM was aware of him the entire time, the neighbors would have heard the confrontation earlier than they did. It seems to me GZ was startled from behind and it was his voice calling for help.

Worth noting: TM's father initially stated that the calls for help were not his son's voice. He changed his story after TM's mother said it was.

See there's the rub. We don't get to hear TM's account. GZ's account is clearly self-serving. That's hardly a surprise, is it? Yet you provide it as if that is the way it happened, period.

GZ became guilty when he got out of his car to go and confront TM while wearing a pistol. This wasn't his home, or even his yard. And he is not a LEO.

GZ has stated he did not leave his vehicle to follow TM, but to get a look at an address (that he was asked for from dispatch) to relay to police.

That's where his story breaks down though. If you see the maps that show where his truck was parked when police arrived, he was near the corner of a street. He didn't have that far to walk to find a street sign. And he says he was walking back to his truck when Martin "jumped" him. Yet somehow, they ended up over a football field in length and around a row of townhouses away from that area when GZ shot him. That just doesn't wash to me.

This is the police video taken in a walk through of what happened according to Zimmerman. I don't find anything unusual about it at all. The "corner" you are talking about is not an actual corner where two streets meet, but rather a sharp curve. Therefore, there is no street sign present.

At this time, GZ actually tells the dispatch that the suspect has disappeared. The dispatch asks if he still wants the police to come and he says, "yes." The dispatch asks again for an address for the police to go to and GZ tells them he will meet them at the clubhouse at the beginning of the complex (thinking TM had left the scene). GZ was on his way back to his truck when he was confronted by TM.

Considering both sides, TM didn't try to avoid GZ. The direction that GZ says TM headed while he was parked at that curve is in the direction of his residence. He had a clear path leading to the residence where he was staying, but did not go. He chose to stay. In fact, he actually waited in a dark area for GZ to pass by on his way back to his truck and approached GZ from behind.

Homer posted transcripts of Zimmerman saying his firearm was visible and that he was sure TM saw it. After watching this video, you will see that this was after TM had punched GZ and had him on the ground. So, his post was misleading. This seems far more logical to me. Nobody in their right mind is going to attack someone who they know has a firearm on their hip.

What I take most from this video is that TM actually came back towards GZ, or followed him as he was going back to his truck. It kinda moots the whole "GZ was stalking TM" talk. It seems the incident was over, then TM decided to follow GZ and attack him.

I know this is GZ's account of the night, but if GZ got out of his vehicle to confront TM and TM was aware of him the entire time, the neighbors would have heard the confrontation earlier than they did. It seems to me GZ was startled from behind and it was his voice calling for help.

Worth noting: TM's father initially stated that the calls for help were not his son's voice. He changed his story after TM's mother said it was.

See there's the rub. We don't get to hear TM's account. GZ's account is clearly self-serving. That's hardly a surprise, is it? Yet you provide it as if that is the way it happened, period.

GZ became guilty when he got out of his car to go and confront TM while wearing a pistol. This wasn't his home, or even his yard. And he is not a LEO.

I'm going to go out on a limb (hardly) and say you know jack squat about this case. I, on the other hand, have been watching the trial live, have done research, have seen the maps, have seen the videos, have considered both arguments regarding this case. What have you done? Don't answer that. There's no need to. You're notorious for spewing uninformed nonsense. So, although you are entitled to your opinion, your opinion carries zero weight.

If you knew half of what is actually going on in this case, you would start to think that maybe GZ is telling the truth. And furthermore, getting out of your vehicle doesn't make you guilty of anything. His reason for leaving his vehicle seems very logical to me. What doesn't is why the altercation happened within feet of his vehicle while he was returning to it.

He was on the phone with the dispatcher. He told the dispatcher what he was doing. He was returning to his vehicle when he was confronted by TM. If the dispatcher corroborates this, he will walk without question.

When it comes down to it, gun or no gun, whoever provoked the physical altercation is at fault. I have a hard time believing GZ is making up a story that could be shot down so easily by the dispatcher he was on the phone with. Then again, maybe he is just a complete moron. We'll find out soon enough.

Another one of the dumbest things ever posted to this site... Congrats!

What "hysteria" ginned up by the media?

Trying to make a tragic local event into one entirely based on race, on a national scale.

NBC , editing GZ's call to 911, and making it appear if he was telling the dispatch that TM was " up to no good... he's black ", or the inventive use of the term ' White-Hispanic', when it became known that 'ZIMMERMAN' wasn't some lily white frat boy, or red neck Bubba, out to get him a negro, just to break up the boredom of a slow night.

C'mon... don't be THAT guy, who pretends he doesn't know what the MSM is doing here.

trayvon-martin-map.jpg

I'm aware of the curve and where he parked. It still doesn't make sense that he got out looking for a street sign but ended up around 300 feet away from the corner and around a row of condos. What street sign was he expecting to find in that courtyard?

I never thought he chased him down and killed him just because he was black. Zimmerman is not white himself. I think he had too much john wayne about him and should have minded his own business. Maybe the kid was a little hot tempered. It all depends on what the jury believes or wants to believe. I would be interested to watch if i had time.

Agree that he didn't chase him down b/c he was black but it more had to do with the kid's appearance. I'm sure like many 17 year old boys his pants were a little baggy and with the hoddie he became an instant suspect which i think is totally wrong. GZ is a wannabe cop who bit off more than he could chew. I don't think it's 2nd degree murder but certainly he should be convicted for the lesser charge of manslaughter. FYI: Since Murder 2 is on the table so is Manslaughter so he could be found not guilty for Murder 2 but guily of manslaughter which i think applies to this case.

I've watched the case from start to finish with an open mind for both GZ and TM's family. GZ stated himself to the physcian assitant that helped him with his head wounds that he took MMA 3 times a week and he was the one with the gun?!! Yet GZ was scared for his life and had injuries my 5 and 6 year nephew and nieces have. No broken nose...no stitches but yet he feared for his life and he was the one with the gun and MMA lessons? Not buying it. GZ brought a gun to a fist fight...got his butt beat by a 17 year old kid...pulled a gun and shoot and that's not justified IMO. He used very bad judgement...there was reason he wasn't a real cop!

I haven't been able to watch it, but from everything I've heard, the prosecution doesn't seem to know what they're doing. This guy, Good, is supposed to be a witness for the prosecution....but he is a defense attorney's dream.

The prosecution just can't hide witnesses...good or bad b/c it's going to seem like they are hiding something when the defense calls them to the stand.

What I remember is that the local police and prosecutor were going to drop this as a case of self defense. Then the demonstrations started and scared the state government in to appointing a special prosecutor to go forward with a criminal case against Zimmerman.

http://www.thv11.com...7CFRONTPAGE%7Ct

If Zimmerman had stayed in or near his car and waited for the police, this would not have happen.

If Zimmerman had not been armed and then got out to follow Martin, most likely Zimmerman would have been found beaten up or dead on the sidewalk.

And you know this how? Clearly some of you have not actually watched the trial but buying into the media reports.

Zimmerman admits that he killed the kid. He admits that he misobeyed police orders and followed him. None of the witnesses today could corroborate his story. The young girl that everyone is bashing was the last person to speak with Martin. It is disgusting that people are dismissing her entirely based on the fact that she is poorly educated and overweight.

If he gets off without a conviction of some sort then there really is no justice in Florida.

100% agree. I don't think Zimmerman is guilty of Murder 2 but he is certainly guilty of manslaughter. As a black man and Auburn Alumni i don't like how race has been thrown into the case but the truth of the matter is that if TM would've been another color...the incident would've been investigated more instead they sent GZ home on his way with a bandaid and everyone went on like normal. That's the injustice IMO and where it starts and ends with race for me and that has nothing to do with GZ. That has to do with the FL police department. A child that was unarmed and was shot and they don't detain / arrest and follow up in a timely matter? Not acceptable.

Watching and following the trial thus far...i really don't think GZ is a racist but i do think he certainly profiled TM but i think if it was a white or hispanic kid...he would've done the same thing. I think it had more to do with TM's appearance than anything. It was dark, raining, and TM was wearing a hoodie and his pants probably were sagging a little b/c if you hear him on the 911 call he really couldn't tell if it was a black/hispanic or other darker race guy..he hesitated to say it was a black kid.

Bottom line is GZ made some bad choices in the situation where he could've did otherwise on at least two occassions. He should've let police handle the situation and stayed in his car. I think many need to ask themselves what if it were their son. It's not about race for me...it's about a grown man not making good decisions as an adult. He had every right to carry a gun but not use one in a fist fight that he intially involved himself in.

I don't think we will ever get the truth. No witnesses with any sense has testified so far for the prosecution. Plus Zimmerman's head was cut pretty badly. And, why didn't Trayvon just run home? He was a short distance from his house. Too many questions that no one can answer with any certainty.

His head wasn't cut that bad. He didn't even need stitches. My son has had worse cuts than that. The blood made it look worse than it was. The pictures after they cleaned the blood showed those injuries were not much at all for someone claiming to get there head bashed into the concrete. They got into a fight and GZ got his butt kicked. That's the risk you run when you follow someone for no reason. Why didn't GZ simply announce that he was neighborhood watch even if the did follow TM? That seems like it would've helped the situation. GZ had a right to carry a gun and TM had a right to walk where he pleased.

Why does TM have to run home? He was minding his own business and doing nothing wrong. Maybe TM didn't want to lead a potential rapist or thug to his father's home where his father's girlfriend's son 12 or 13 was alone where the person would know where he lived?

Trayvon acted suspiciously, which got the attention of the neighborhood watch guy, who then took actions which made HIM look suspicious to Trayvon. Zimmerman could have done some things to help defuse the situation, but Trayvon decided to get all MMA tough guy, because he felt he was being 'dissed', or some such crap, and it got him killed.

Tragic, but not criminal,imo.

You know this how? Wow..talk about being bias. Ever thought TM was acting suspicious b/c someone was following him? Like your point says GZ could've defused the situation but instead he pulls a gun. That's not self defense.

Trayvon acted suspiciously, which got the attention of the neighborhood watch guy, who then took actions which made HIM look suspicious to Trayvon. Zimmerman could have done some things to help defuse the situation, but Trayvon decided to get all MMA tough guy, because he felt he was being 'dissed', or some such crap, and it got him killed.

Well, maybe Trayvon simply reacted to an unidentified guy in civilian cloths walking up and confronting him while showing his pistol, just as Zimmerman testified he did.

It's funny how everyone fills in the details from their own paradigms.

+1

Well, maybe Trayvon simply reacted to an unidentified guy in civilian cloths walking up and confronting him while showing his pistol, just as Zimmerman testified he did.

Maybe? Do you KNOW GZ was in all civilian clothes, with no badge, no insignia, nothing to indicate he was some sort of security ? Nothing ? And did he really testify that he gave no indication to Trayvon of who he was ?

Like you're doing here ? Yeah. That's a laugh riot.

Neighborhood watch is not a security guard. GZ was going to Target and decided to take his gun. GZ has stated that he didn't always carry his gun when on duty as NW. He and TM just happend to cross paths on a day where GZ was carrying his gun. GZ could've easily said "Hey, I'm NW can i help you with anything?" How simple is that? If he wanted to get out his car...why not do that from a distance?

Just hearing all the evidence before being on one side b/c after watching the trial thus far i don't believe it's Murder 2 b/c it has not been proven. Thus far it has been shown that GZ was a wannabe cop who make a horrible decision and he should have to pay for that decision.

Maybe? Do you KNOW GZ was in all civilian clothes, with no badge, no insignia, nothing to indicate he was some sort of security ? Nothing ? And did he really testify that he gave no indication to Trayvon of who he was ?

Like you're doing here ? Yeah. That's a laugh riot.

Well, please stop laughing and show me where I have insisted it happened a certain way.

The only statement of "fact" I have made is that an armed Zimmerman got out of his car to confront Trayvon. That's all I need to know.

My belief is that the right to carry a gun comes with an responsibility to avoid situations where you may feel you need to use it. The state of Florida may disagree. This jury may disagree. If so, it will be a terribly wrong conclusion IMO. It would give a green light to every trigger-happy vigilante in the state.

Agree. It's going to open the flood gates for people to shoot someone and declare self defense. As a gun owner myself something like this will make it even harder for law abiding people who are responsible when it comes to owning guns. GZ wasn't in any threat of losing his life. He was getting his butt beat in a fist fight and pulled out a gun.

You know this how? Wow..talk about being bias. Ever thought TM was acting suspicious b/c someone was following him? Like your point says GZ could've defused the situation but instead he pulls a gun. That's not self defense.

An unknown kid, in a hoodie, who didn't live there, was walking close to the homes, in an area which had been burglarized recently. To anyone, that'd be curious,at the very least.

But it absolutely was self defense, after TM attacked him, and started whaling on him, MMA style.

An unknown kid, in a hoodie, who didn't live there, was walking close to the homes, in an area which had been burglarized recently. To anyone, that'd be curious,at the very least.

But it absolutely was self defense, after TM attacked him, and started whaling on him, MMA style.

So curious means getting out of the car and approaching someone who you may be curious is a burglar? That's smart. GZ doesn't know everybody in the area! lol. That's laughable. It was raining, dark and the kid had a hoodie sheltering himself from the rain. Someone wearing a hoodie without it raining is suspicious! Plus it has not been proven that TM was walking close to homes. That's GZ's story. Yet again taking sides. GZ has every right to see what's going on his area but he wasn't a police officer trained to go following TM and inquire about his presence. That's not what NW is about. Why not say you're NW?

Also, there had been someone arrested for committing some of the burglaries that happend 3 weeks prior to the TM incident. Do some research please. That's a fact...not something stated by GZ. If GZ was head of NW he would've or should've known this.

Yes i believe some elements of GZ's story but not all of them b/c there are inconsistences in his story. The detective made that clear with their line of questioning that he has had different answers for. So some of the small things he has inconsistences about can be make the difference in Murder 2, manslaughter or a not guilty verdict.

Hang on, you just chastised him with a "and you know this how?" comment and fail to see the same gaping hole in your assertions? You don't know TM attacked him, all you know is that GZ claims that's what happened.

Hang on, you just chastised him with a "and you know this how?" comment and fail to see the same gaping hole in your assertions? You don't know TM attacked him, all you know is that GZ claims that's what happened.

I know the lone witness to the events corroborates to the story GZ said, and the injuries which were inflicted upon him.

I know the lone witness to the events corroborates to the story GZ said, and the injuries which were inflicted upon him.

Wow. But yet 4 other witnesses story go against GZ. You're going to have injuries in a fight..no one is denying there wasn't a fight. A fight alone doesn't justify self defense under state law. There is more to it just than that. I believe parts of GZ's account but there are some very important parts that have inconsistences and those parts are important to the case.

Wow. But yet 4 other witnesses story go against GZ. You're going to have injuries in a fight..no one is denying there wasn't a fight. A fight alone doesn't justify self defense under state law. There is more to it just than that. I believe parts of GZ's account but there are some very important parts that have inconsistences and those parts are important to the case.

Not a trial junkie, but as I understood , there was only 1 ' witness'. The g/f on the phone w/ TM was pretty unreliable, so I don't know who to which you're referring.

The lone witness corroborates that TM was on top of him. There is no witness other than GZ as to how the fight started or who instigated it.

The lone witness corroborates that TM was on top of him. There is no witness other than GZ as to how the fight started or who instigated it.

I'm like you TT. I just don't like the fact that under the circumstances regarding this case that it could open the door for people to go shooting and declaring self defense if it's not true self defense or very questionable self defense. I hate the way the case has made many to take sides not based on the evidence and trying to discover some truth.

I'm going to go out on a limb (hardly) and say you know jack squat about this case. I, on the other hand, have been watching the trial live, have done research, have seen the maps, have seen the videos, have considered both arguments regarding this case. What have you done? Don't answer that. There's no need to. You're notorious for spewing uninformed nonsense. So, although you are entitled to your opinion, your opinion carries zero weight.

If you knew half of what is actually going on in this case, you would start to think that maybe GZ is telling the truth. And furthermore, getting out of your vehicle doesn't make you guilty of anything. His reason for leaving his vehicle seems very logical to me. What doesn't is why the altercation happened within feet of his vehicle while he was returning to it.

He was on the phone with the dispatcher. He told the dispatcher what he was doing. He was returning to his vehicle when he was confronted by TM. If the dispatcher corroborates this, he will walk without question.

When it comes down to it, gun or no gun, whoever provoked the physical altercation is at fault. I have a hard time believing GZ is making up a story that could be shot down so easily by the dispatcher he was on the phone with. Then again, maybe he is just a complete moron. We'll find out soon enough.

A civilian wearing a gun for self-defense should have an obligation to avoid potential confrontation, period. Once he got out of his car, in this particular situation, he violated that obligation. If TM had tried to batter his way into his car (for example), I might have a different position on this.

Now, it may turn out that the jury in considering Florida's "stand your ground law" may disagree with me and let him walk, but that has nothing to do with where the guilt lies.

Now, what exactly is the specific problem you have with my opinion? If it's really because I haven't done as much "homework" as you, please explain to me exactly "jack squat" I am missing?

P.S.:

Am I really known for "spewing uninformed nonsense"?

Archived