2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 4 (Mon, Aug 5)

RunInRed

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Photos via Anna Grafton / @TheAUPlainsman ...

DSC_0085.jpg

Chad Slade

DSC_0290.jpg

Jonathan Jones

DSC_0120.jpg

Tre Mason

DSC_0119.jpg

Tre Mason

DSC_0265.jpg

Tre Mason

DSC_0264.jpg

Tre Mason

DSC_0116.jpg

Tre Mason

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

Ricardo Louis

DSC_0301.jpg

Ricardo Louis

DSC_0344.jpg

Demetruce McNeal

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

Dismukes, Slade

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0607.jpg

Nick Marshall

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

Reese Dismukes

DSC_0109.jpg

Jonathan Jones

If Wallace and Marshall are both working with 1st team running backs, and the backup usually goes out to hold kicks (Wallace) then that means...? Marshall?

Possibly. I think three practices is to short a period of time for the coaches to decide on NM.

I agree. But it definitely looks like they WANT him to be the starter. As long as he can learn the playbook, it looks like its his job to lose.

Could be. I bet that changes a bit tomorrow or the next day but if Wallace and Marshall are consistently practicing with the ones, its game over for the other guys. And along those lines, if it's already whittled down to Marshall and Wallace, the race will probably be settled by next week. But I doubt they're closing the door on Kiehl and Jeremy just yet.

Correct analysis?

If Wallace & Marshall are working with first-team RBs, it's likely going to come down to whether Marshall gets a full grasp of the offense.

@CollegeandMag

I'm sorry, but if we don't have a QB on the roster that can beat out Wallace... then we should prepare ourselves for a long season. IMHO.

I'm LOVING the increased size of our guys. Seems like towards the end of the Tubs era and all throughout the Chizik era, our guys always looked inferior athletically. Whatever Coach Russell is doing appears to be working.

Remember the LSU game 2 seasons ago where our players got demolished on kickoffs? I want us to be that team that punishes opponents. With this size, hopefully we will.

If Wallace and Marshall are both working with 1st team running backs, and the backup usually goes out to hold kicks (Wallace) then that means...? Marshall?

Possibly. I think three practices is to short a period of time for the coaches to decide on NM.

I agree. But it definitely looks like they WANT him to be the starter. As long as he can learn the playbook, it looks like its his job to lose.

Could be. I bet that changes a bit tomorrow or the next day but if Wallace and Marshall are consistently practicing with the ones, its game over for the other guys. And along those lines, if it's already whittled down to Marshall and Wallace, the race will probably be settled by next week. But I doubt they're closing the door on Kiehl and Jeremy just yet.

^^This^^

We should get a little more information today than yesterday. Here's the media schedule (updates should be available shortly after these times) for Practice 4...

• 4-4:20 p.m. -- Pre-practice & stretch open to media
  • 6:45 p.m. -- Coordinators, selected players post-practice interviews

Gus is ready ...

Practice No. 4 coming up this afternoon. The newness is starting to wear off. Now it's time to find out who really loves football.

@CoachGusMalzahn

RIR, please do not post in black for those of us who use blue background. Many thanks for what you do!!

My apologies ... corrected throughout :big:

Correct analysis?

If Wallace & Marshall are working with first-team RBs, it's likely going to come down to whether Marshall gets a full grasp of the offense.

@CollegeandMag

I'm sorry, but if we don't have a QB on the roster that can beat out Wallace... then we should prepare ourselves for a long season. IMHO.

Got to disagree. I've seen some pretty good Auburn teams over the years with journeyman style QB's. Wallace was put in charge of a train-wreck offense, on a train-wreck team under a train-wreck coach as a true freshman. I think it's fair to wait and see if he prospers under different circumstances. IMHO

I threw some bones in a bowl they said be patient

DC Ellis Johnson is up ...

BQ8W_ugCcAAGPJ3.jpg

via @byjustinlee

Ellis Johnson says defense has retained a lot from spring

Johnson: "We have probably overloaded the kids at this point.

Johnson: "We'll slow down a little bit on the mental overload."

Johnson on LBs: "Older guys came back at least as well prepared if not better. Couple lost some weight."

Johnson: "Certainly too early to say a player has played himself into contention or doesn't have a chance."

Johnson says Cassanova McKinzy has lost weight and his change of direction has improved, conditioning is better

Johnson says the upper-body strength of Adams, Lawson is clear, still hasn't seen a lot yet though

Johnson on Demetruce McNeal: "He has an infection and minor surgical procedure. Day-to-day."

Johnson says Khari Harding has gotten bigger, could be LB/Star in future

Johnson says "It's way too early" to tell who would be the 4 DL on third-and-long

@JamesCrepea

DC Ellis Johnson on early camp: "We didn't get into a lot in spring, but what we got into we've retained pretty well."

Johnson said defense put in its dime package today. He said it was "rough around the edges," and "we've overloaded the kids to this point."

Speaking on linebackers, Johnson said it's too early to know what the depth chart will be.

Johnson said Kris Frost and Cass McKinzy are having good camps, and he also mentioned Anthony Swain.

Johnson said Frost got better at making calls at Mike, but he still needs to improve. McKinzy lost weight this summer, has more burst.

Johnson said LaDarius Owens has switched from Will LB only to playing more Mike.

Johnson said 40 percent of the star position comes from playing nickleback. A cross between that and outside linebacker.

Johnson said the three freshman DLs are going to be "really good players," but didn't put a timeline on when they'll crack the depth chart.

Johnson said #Auburn has four DTs he feels good about: Gabe Wright, Jeff Whitaker, Angelo Blackson and Ben Bradley.

Bradley slimmed his frame this summer, and Johnson said it's made a difference on the practice field.

Johnson said Ken Carter played some at left defensive end today, behind Dee Ford. Some younger DEs got a shot on the right side.

Johnson said #Auburn's defense will likely have to bring more pressure in pass-rushing situations than just the four down linemen.

@AUBlog

Ellis Johnson says retention has been pretty impressive out of the veterans, said the newcomers were C+, B- on the scheme

Ellis Johnson says the veteran linebackers came back better prepared, mental assignments have been pretty good.

Depth chart wise, Ellis Johnson says Kris Frost is having a good camp, Cassanova McKinzy is having a much better camp than spring.

A Star is an "outside linebacker," Ellis Johnson says.

Johnson says Auburn's real, real thin at safety right now. Trying to avoid making Josh Holsey learn three positions instead of two.

Both Justin Garrett and Robenson Therezie are among the most athletic players Auburn has overall.

Johnson on the pass rush: "We're going to have to find some guys who can bring that to the table."

@JoelAEricksonAU

Auburn defensive coordinator Ellis Johnson says he is using these early practices without full pads to install and work on new packages.

@TheAUPlainsman

Johnson said until they get in live action he won't know what he's got at linebacker

Johnson says newcomers Brandon King and Khari Harding have both been impressive so far. Says they are pleased with Mackenro Alexander also

@ITATJason

Auburn's Ellis Johnson said he added defensive sub-packages today. "It was very rough around the edges. We have good film to teach off of."

AU's Ellis Johnson on move of Ken Carter to defensive end: "Kenny has had a good solid spring. I think that's where he belongs."

@AUGoldMine

DC Ellis Johnson on Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel: "I think they'll be really good players. They've shown some impressive things."

DC Ellis Johnson: "Joshua Holsey is one of our sharper, smarter players." Holsey cross-training safety and corner.

Auburn freshman Mackenro Alexander working at 'star' linebacker.

@JHokanson

Interesting to hear that Kenneth Carter is practicing some on other side at DE to give new guys Carl Lawson, Elijah Daniel more looks.

@bmarcello

Archived