2013 Fall Camp -- Practice 4 (Mon, Aug 5)

RunInRed

I can not for the life of me understand how any true AU fan at this point cannot believe CGM ond CRL. They have said over and over that they have not made any choice at QB, and that they are not close to yet. They have not said anything about any favorite. In fact up till today NM and JJ had only worked with the 3rd string offense. Gus said he wanted to see them with the 1s and 2s, so today he puts NM with the 1s and 2s and all you experts are convinced that CGM has made his choice. Not only that but you are convinved that JW will be regulated to holding kicks (by the way that is Ryan's job). I think maybe some folks need to take an update in English class or reading comprehension, and forget those physic classes for a while. I really wonder how many of those folks are going to whine and cry if NM doesn't get the gig. As an Auburn fan I want whoever Gus thinks is best. And no matterwho he chooses I am not going to do like some folks, and constantly try to belittle any of these pl;ayers who are out there working hard.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I'm not alone when I say it's great to see the players we were scratching our heads on ARE NOW showing as some of the bright spots in early practices. Sounding positive from CEJ. And I believe him because he was very honest about how far away the D was in spring.

Someone unexpected will step up at safety for depth purposes. Wonder who?

If Wallace and Marshall are both working with 1st team running backs, and the backup usually goes out to hold kicks (Wallace) then that means...? Marshall?

Possibly. I think three practices is to short a period of time for the coaches to decide on NM.

I agree. But it definitely looks like they WANT him to be the starter. As long as he can learn the playbook, it looks like its his job to lose.

Could be. I bet that changes a bit tomorrow or the next day but if Wallace and Marshall are consistently practicing with the ones, its game over for the other guys. And along those lines, if it's already whittled down to Marshall and Wallace, the race will probably be settled by next week. But I doubt they're closing the door on Kiehl and Jeremy just yet.

I read into the QB pairings nothing more than 1 old (to the team) QB with 1 newbie QB in each pair as a way to bring the newbies along faster. I don't think it means any more than that this soon in the process.

Guest jojo1515

I can not for the life of me understand how any true AU fan at this point cannot believe CGM ond CRL. They have said over and over that they have not made any choice at QB, and that they are not close to yet. They have not said anything about any favorite. In fact up till today NM and JJ had only worked with the 3rd string offense. Gus said he wanted to see them with the 1s and 2s, so today he puts NM with the 1s and 2s and all you experts are convinced that CGM has made his choice. Not only that but you are convinved that JW will be regulated to holding kicks (by the way that is Ryan's job). I think maybe some folks need to take an update in English class or reading comprehension, and forget those physic classes for a while. I really wonder how many of those folks are going to whine and cry if NM doesn't get the gig. As an Auburn fan I want whoever Gus thinks is best. And no matterwho he chooses I am not going to do like some folks, and constantly try to belittle any of these pl;ayers who are out there working hard.

An expert on reading comprehension would have to ask what "physic" class is.... I do know that I don't have to be psychic to spell physics. ...or a physicist to spell psychic. .. :)

If Wallace and Marshall are both working with 1st team running backs, and the backup usually goes out to hold kicks (Wallace) then that means...? Marshall?

Possibly. I think three practices is to short a period of time for the coaches to decide on NM.

I agree. But it definitely looks like they WANT him to be the starter. As long as he can learn the playbook, it looks like its his job to lose.

Could be. I bet that changes a bit tomorrow or the next day but if Wallace and Marshall are consistently practicing with the ones, its game over for the other guys. And along those lines, if it's already whittled down to Marshall and Wallace, the race will probably be settled by next week. But I doubt they're closing the door on Kiehl and Jeremy just yet.

I read into the QB pairings nothing more than 1 old (to the team) QB with 1 newbie QB in each pair as a way to bring the newbies along faster. I don't think it means any more than that this soon in the process.

+1 ^^^ agree

I don't know about any one else but I really enjoyed that interview with DC Ellis Johnson ... little coach speak, to the point, calls it like he sees it.

Yup

Here's what OC Rhett Lashlee had to offer ...

BQ8aXnBCMAIAS-j.jpg

via @byjustinlee

Auburn OC Rhett Lashlee says coaches nowhere near to picking a starting quarterback.

@jzenor

Rhett Lashlee says it's starting to slow down for Marshall and Johnson

Rhett Lashlee: "we've learned a lot more in the last 2 days with shoulder pads. The next 4-5 days, 6-7 practices, a lot of info could come"

Lashlee says the mistakes at QB (read turnovers) have been part defense, part mental mistakes, not repeating mistakes though

Lashlee says Johnathan Ford, Peyton Barber doing well and at times their "heads spinning"

Lashlee says he does see Mason as durable enough for 20+ carries if need be, says committee with CAP, Grant is fine too

@JamesCrepea

Lashlee on RBs: "It could be a running back by committee deal. One guy could step above the rest. I'd be fine with it either way."

On Jeremy Johnson's size, Rhett says he could tell when his basketball season ended, and he got in the weight room with a focus on football.

@byjustinlee

Offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee said Nick Marshall/Jeremy Johnson haven't "caught up" to Kiehl Frazier/Jonathan Wallace yet.

Said that doesn't mean much, though; "a lot more information" will come their way before they come close to making a decision at QB.

@wareagleextra

Lashlee complimenting the other side: "I'll tell you one thing, our defense is flying around. I think that's really encouraging."

Lashlee said Jaylon Denson and Melvin Ray have been lining up in the slot, not tight end. Which makes a lot more sense.

Lashlee asked it RB Tre Mason can carry the ball 20 times a game, says "I think so." But, with the system, said Mason may not need to.

Lashlee said Kiehl Frazier has lost about 17 pounds, and it's helped on the field.

Lashlee said #Auburn's defense won the practice this afternoon, but the offense has had good moments too.

@AUBlog

OC Rhett Lashlee on WRs: "Inconsistency." Did single out Quan Bray as being consistent and a leader.

@JHokanson

Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee says receiver Quan Bray is leading by example. "I'm really proud of him."

Rhett Lashlee says Corey Grant, Johnathan Ford and "maybe some of our wideouts" candidates to run speed sweep, Onterio McCalebb's old job

@AUGoldMine

An expert on reading comprehension would have to ask what "physic" class is.... I do know that I don't have to be psychic to spell physics. ...or a physicist to spell psychic. .. :)

Bravo. Thanks for proving my point, that somefolk's only claim to fame, is to point at the mistakes of others. Personally, I would rather blaze new trails, even if I make a mistake now and then, than to base my life correcting others. WDE.

And from the players ...

Auburn RB Cameron Artis-Payne says he's gained 10 pounds but gotten faster under strength coach Ryan Russell.

@jzenor

Chad Slade post-practice.

BQ8g7CLCEAAa9e0.jpg

Tre Mason after practice.

BQ8jVkLCUAAYHnk.jpg

@byjustinlee

Chad Slade after Monday's practice: "You're going to get physically tired but that's the point about camp."

OG Chad Slade on preseason work: "Some people might be a little sore here and there, but I believe we're going to be ready"

RB Cameron Artis-Payne: "The tempo has picked up from the spring; everybody is in much better shape due to Coach Russell"

RB Tre Mason: "Practice has been going great. We're doing everything we can to get this thing rolling."

@FootballAU

RB Tre Mason compared competition at his position like battle between brothers, everyone making each other better.

@AUBlog

I don't know about any one else but I really enjoyed that interview with DC Ellis Johnson ... little coach speak, to the point, calls it like he sees it.

He's actually one hell of an interview, too. He was on at least once a year here in Atlanta when UGA would play USCe, and he was the same way. And he's got a great southern drawl, with Lewis Grizzard's dry wit.

Guest jojo1515

An expert on reading comprehension would have to ask what "physic" class is.... I do know that I don't have to be psychic to spell physics. ...or a physicist to spell psychic. .. :)/>

Bravo. Thanks for proving my point, that somefolk's only claim to fame, is to point at the mistakes of others. Personally, I would rather blaze new trails, even if I make a mistake now and then, than to base my life correcting others. WDE.

That's funny. You're entire post is based on pointing out what you see as flaws in other's thinking methods.

I wasn't trying to point out your mistake for any other reason than to make a joke about a mispelled word in a post about taking reading comprehension classes. It was simply ironic. It was only in jest and not meant to offend, only to humor...I make mistakes all the time. Sometimes it is o.k. to laugh at ourselves. :)

Correct analysis?

If Wallace & Marshall are working with first-team RBs, it's likely going to come down to whether Marshall gets a full grasp of the offense.

@CollegeandMag

I'm sorry, but if we don't have a QB on the roster that can beat out Wallace... then we should prepare ourselves for a long season. IMHO.

Got to disagree. I've seen some pretty good Auburn teams over the years with journeyman style QB's. Wallace was put in charge of a train-wreck offense, on a train-wreck team under a train-wreck coach as a true freshman. I think it's fair to wait and see if he prospers under different circumstances. IMHO

Agree. I think people are counting JW out way too fast. I don't think it is far fetched JW could be the back up Qb. But like other posters have stated I'm sure KF and JJ will most likely get some run with the first team on Tuesday. Still a bit too early.

I believe I'm not alone when I say it's great to see the players we were scratching our heads on ARE NOW showing as some of the bright spots in early practices. Sounding positive from CEJ. And I believe him because he was very honest about how far away the D was in spring.

Someone unexpected will step up at safety for depth purposes. Wonder who?

I'm hoping it's one of the JUCOs. Learning 3 positions is a tall order for JH. He's good no doubt but it would be ideal for someone to step up at safety. I expect to see flashes of really good things on D but some busted coverages until we can solidify a couple of positions in the middle. Hoping the D Line comes up big in order to help bring them along.

If you look at Mason's legs when he runs you can see why CRL say she is a 20+ carry back, he has added a ton of size to his legs. Good to see.

If you look at Mason's legs when he runs you can see why CRL say she is a 20+ carry back, he has added a ton of size to his legs. Good to see.

I'd fix that before Prosch comes and does some lead blocking at you.

I like the way CAP smiled when asked about the Qbs. Josha Hosley did something similar in his interview. They've made some small observations from all 4 Qbs IMO but they're certainly not telling as i'm sure they have been told not to elaborate on anything regarding the Qbs. Just thought it was a little humorous.

Auburn players are not playing the guessing game of who's going to be the Tigers' starting quarterback, but running back Tre Mason knows this:

"It's going to be a fun thing to watch."

As far as practice goes, Mason said, "We're doing everything we can to get this rolling...

More here: http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080613aab.html

Correct analysis?

If Wallace & Marshall are working with first-team RBs, it's likely going to come down to whether Marshall gets a full grasp of the offense.

@CollegeandMag

I'm sorry, but if we don't have a QB on the roster that can beat out Wallace... then we should prepare ourselves for a long season. IMHO.

Got to disagree. I've seen some pretty good Auburn teams over the years with journeyman style QB's. Wallace was put in charge of a train-wreck offense, on a train-wreck team under a train-wreck coach as a true freshman. I think it's fair to wait and see if he prospers under different circumstances. IMHO

Agree. I think people are counting JW out way too fast. I don't think it is far fetched JW could be the back up Qb. But like other posters have stated I'm sure KF and JJ will most likely get some run with the first team on Tuesday. Still a bit too early.

I agree. I was astounded at all of the people counting him out when the spring ended. That kid was a true freshman last year.

Archived