Voter ID Issue

Weegle777

Why is there such a pushback over this issue? Why isn't this a good idea? Why would you have such an issue over obtaining and showing your ID?

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harder for random people to vote multiple times if you have to show ID.

Eric Holder's ballot was apparently easy to get a hold of.

Haven't you heard? No one cheats in elections. We don't catch anyone in voter fraud. Of course that may have something to do with the fact that its easy as pie to do it and not get caught. The laws are lax so catching people is rather hard. But on faith, we don't need people to prove they are who they say they are just because.

That must be why I saw that bus pull up outside my voting location, and offload all of those hispanic people. Funny that they asked me for my ID, but didn't ask them. Interesting.

These same people will be issued government health insurance photo IDs one day. What will be the excuse then?

Making voters show an ID because you just can't just take their word for it is racist.

But for some reason, making people show their ID for a prescription isn't racist...

Basically you can identify a good policy by whether or not liberals call it racist. They never call ACTUAL racism racist, just stuff that they oppose at the party line for no apparent reason.

Still haven't seen any evidence of widespread fraud. Another imaginary problem for the deluded to get all worked up over.

Why does there have to be 'widespread' fraud to implement a sane policy? Fraud is much harder to prove than it is to prevent.

Still haven't seen any evidence of widespread fraud. Another imaginary problem for the deluded to get all worked up over.

Why does there have to be 'widespread' fraud to implement a sane policy? Fraud is much harder to prove than it is to prevent.

What evidence do you have the current policy isn't sane.

Still haven't seen any evidence of widespread racism. Another imaginary problem for the deluded to get all worked up over.

Still haven't seen any evidence of widespread racism. Another imaginary problem for the deluded to get all worked up over.

Start a thread then, but stay on topic.

Because in every other instance in the world, there's no existence of a practice to just assume people are who they say they are to obtain services or officially represent themselves.

If we don't trust people to get their food stamps without identification, why do we trust people to elect world leaders?

As a secondary issue, I could move to another city and still vote for the city I USED to live in. Which is also crap and could also make a big difference in state or local elections. What if I moved from a swing state, and went back to a state where I'm still on the books and voted there? Do you think that NEVER happens?

Is it possible that this is merely a distraction issue? Is it possible that no one, left or right, who is entrenched in the system, wants to talk about campaign finance reform or the role of money in determining the outcome of elections? Does voter fraud or money represent a more real threat to democracy?

Is it possible that this is merely a distraction issue? Is it possible that no one, left or right, who is entrenched in the system, wants to talk about campaign finance reform or the role of money in determining the outcome of elections? Does voter fraud or money represent a more real threat to democracy?

Is it possible that more than one issue could be tackled at a time?

Hell I would be happy if they could tackle one issue that helps this country. asking them to handle two is just plain silly.

Is it possible that more than one issue could be tackled at a time?

That is exactly what is happening in the context of the question.

Because in every other instance in the world, there's no existence of a practice to just assume people are who they say they are to obtain services or officially represent themselves.

If we don't trust people to get their food stamps without identification, why do we trust people to elect world leaders?

As a secondary issue, I could move to another city and still vote for the city I USED to live in. Which is also crap and could also make a big difference in state or local elections. What if I moved from a swing state, and went back to a state where I'm still on the books and voted there? Do you think that NEVER happens?

It might happen if someone has the money and time to travel and is sooooo motivated to think their one vote will be decisive-- voter ID might not change that much, though.

It might happen if someone has the money and time to travel and is sooooo motivated to think their one vote will be decisive-- voter ID might not change that much, though.

So the burden is to prove rampant fraud before a logical policy can be enacted? There's NOTHING else in the world that allows for people to just assume you are who you say you are. Why the special exemption for this?

Before you say it's racist or it disproportionately affects poor people, are you willing to say that forcing an ID for medical care or food stamps is racist? If not, why are they different?

So the burden is to prove rampant fraud before a logical policy can be enacted? There's NOTHING else in the world that allows for people to just assume you are who you say you are. Why the special exemption for this?

Before you say it's racist or it disproportionately affects poor people, are you willing to say that forcing an ID for medical care or food stamps is racist? If not, why are they different?

Nobody has demonstrated the status quo is illogical. The burden logically rests on those seeking change.

ID isn't necessary for emergency care, but the right to vote is more fundamental to the preservation of a free people. It is essential to representative government.

Look at the actual agenda of politicians pushing this. It has next to nothing to do with fraud. Look at NC-- a state issued college ID is no longer acceptable as proof. Why not? Because college students more frequently vote Democratic.

1. There is little indication that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

2. It will depress voter participation of poorer people. (Just like the laws restricting early voting and Sunday voting.)

Next Question.

Making voters show an ID because you just can't just take their word for it is racist.

But for some reason, making people show their ID for a prescription isn't racist...

Basically you can identify a good policy by whether or not liberals call it racist. They never call ACTUAL racism racist, just stuff that they oppose at the party line for no apparent reason.

Seems to me that you are the one trying to hide behind racism. No one else has brought it up.

And I thought you were leaving.

Why would you call a policy that is not needed to address a problem but will disenfranchise poor people "sane"?

I agree. Getting worked up over an imaginary problem like voter fraud is deluded. There must be an ulterior motive, huh?

Archived