David Marsh Signs Contract Extension

Weegle777

The rumor at the time was that JJ had promised some minor improvements to the aquatic center and then refused to come through. JJ's comment was that Marsh "had to have every little thing go his way". Thus did Auburn lose the most successful college coach of any sport in the history of this state.

I had a number of conversations with Coach Marsh over the years (We went to the same high school in Miami). I do know that David Marsh and his family love Auburn and weren't simply looking for something else to do.

• 4 weeks later...

Marsh almost left back in '04/'05 for Quick's job at Stanford. I remember him saying after his interview there that whether or not he would take the job depended on he and JJ seeing eye-to-eye on AU's future. One thing he wanted was the outdoor pool, which AU built just a few years later (and the same year Marsh left). I'd love to know the first-hand story there.

I'd be happy if that door opened back up at some point. It was amazing to see Auburn at the center of the swimming world every single year. Marsh should have had a better salary and just about anything he asked for. More than likely would have 20+ titles right now had he stayed

As Mikey alluded to the problem was JJ. marsh wasn't all that demanding considering what he had accomplished. JJ just didn't put a high priority on swimming and diving and still doesn't. Somewhat analogous to us losing Muschamp. JJ has come around a little bit as he began to realize a lot of alumni wanted him gone. There are still problems in the Athletic Dept.

Archived