Tony Dungy's Comments on ABC MNF Lead-in

CarolinaTiger

Link to Article

Not sure where to put this...'football' forum, or politics forum...yet here goes.

first off, i'm glad he's taking an outspoken stand against such meaningless tripe as what occurred. i find ABC's Apology to make no sense at all, given they find the placement was wrong, meaning the content wasn't necessarily wrong?

dungy says its ok w/ him if the colts don't appear on MNF anymore if that's what they're going to do... :blink: says his 12-year old kid stays up to watch it. IMO, you go tony!

yet, he also says it's a racial thing... stereotyping black male athletes, and after what happened to Kobe, this is incredibly insensitive.

finally, my thoughts: if you have to hype football w/ sex, then NFL MNF is in big trouble.

oh yes...and WAR EAGLE, BEAT BAMA (just to make this an auburn football forum worthy thread :cheer: )

ct

I work at an ABC affiliate in Charleston. We had calls about the promo Monday Night from people who hated it. After ABC apologized, ran a story Tuesday on the fact that out network had apologized, and then we AIRED IT AGAIN, just in case anyone missed it.

Desperate Housewives is one of the biggest hits ABC has had in years. They're just trying to make sure people keep watching it by stirring up a LITTLE controversy without risking an FCC fine.

I found it pathetic that he somehow found a way to link it to Kobe Bryant.

Whats more pathetic is that all the stations talking about it are showing clips of it over and over, during the day. If its so bad, why isn't anyone complaining about them showing it over and over?

If anything, if I had a child, I'd rather them see that skit than have them see dozens of comercials on erectile disfuntion.

Eh, it was rather cheesy, but I think people are being overly sensitive if they found it offensive.

For those of you who may not have seen it yet, you can view it here:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2656474?ifilmp=99

123403[/snapback]

I would have to agree. Thankns for the link btw, that's the first time I'd seen it. I just can't understand what all the hype is about.

well, i think it was out of line, but that's up to the peoples....of which we all are members.

the more important questions is this:

what was TO doing in the locker room all by himself when the team was out there warming up!

i didn't see it...but from what i heard...i thought it was funny

ok i saw it

big deal...so they plugged their desperate houswives show in with MNF...i thought it was funny...of course...T.O. wouldn't have put up the fight he did in real life...ba zing

If anything, if I had a child, I'd rather them see that skit than have them see dozens of comercials on erectile disfuntion.

123319[/snapback]

HaHa

123319[/snapback]

Did you read USA Today this morning? :P

cartoon-inside.jpg

i think dungy had a point that it kind perpetuates the stereotype of a black male athlete. i mean c'mon you guys have to admit that a certain stereotype exists that has been set up over time. wilt chamberlain claiming to have slept with 20,000 women. magic johnson (total shocker at the time) saying he had 6-somes with him and 5 chicks. kobe bryant, mike tyson... the stereotype is there.

i don't think the casting had anything to do with it, but it probably did serve to perpetuate it (i also think there's a chappelle/rock joke in there somewhere bout black dudes and white women, but that's for them to find). the good point dungy made was that the casting had a lot to do with the individual. t.o. just draws attention like this. mcnabb is the face of that team so why didn't the team ask him to do the spot? probably b/c they knew it could be somewhat controversial so they said, "hey that's right up t.o.'s alley!" the team (and the league) are goading on a guy that they'll later fine when they say "oh, oh, that's it! we didn't tell you that was okay. you crossed the line."

Archived