Finding a "Go-To" Receiver

RunInRed

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who is most likely to emerge as AU's top WR?

• Quan Bray, JR (No. 4)
    • Sammie Coates, SO (No. 18)
    • Marcus Davis, FR (No. 80)
    • Jaylon Denson, JR (No. 89)
    • Ricardo Louis, SO (No. 5)
    • Trovon Reed, JR (No. 1)
    • Other

Gus reiterated again, on today's SEC Teleconference, the need for AU to find a "go-to" wide receiver ...

"We're still defining who we are, but I'm confident someone will emerge."

@AUBlog

Vote in the Poll above: Who is most likely to become AU's top WR?

Bray - Coates will be used deep and I interpret "go to" as a possession type, within 10 yards kind of receiver.

I just hope it is someone. It would be fun to see a 20 of 25 type performance this week from the passing game.

In the GUS HUNH offense, the best BLOCKER will most likely get the most chances. (Because he will be on the FIELD more than the others....)

Finding that go to guy is important and while i realize Gus prefers to a run first offense i should would love to turn the tables this week and see a lot out of our passing game. In listening to their podcast they seem to really believe they'll shut down Auburn's run game, which I'm pretty skeptical of but, I sure would love to put about 200 yards passing on them in the 1st half then come back and run all over them in the 2nd just for good measure.

It will be fun if NM could spread the wealth around - Bray, Louis, CJ , Denson, Coates, Reed and maybe Stevens.

This might be the game..

I think he tried to do that last weekend but they all had bricks for hands for some reason. I do fully believe that they will work that out though. Just like NM was nervous and had the initial jitters, I believe the receivers had the same only they don't get to shine on every play, so they may have been worse when it WAS finally their time to shine.

Unless someone can catch 50+ passes I don't think they are qualified as a "Top" receiver. We really have receiving by committee at this point. I haven't seen anything special in our wr's since a long time ago.

I still think Jaylon will be the guy. I thought he and Louis were the best guys at getting free on the under and intermediate routes, but well, he showed an ability to catch an easy ball. He also had a shot at a deep ball that was juuuuuust a bit outsiiide.

In the GUS HUNH offense, the best BLOCKER will most likely get the most chances. (Because he will be on the FIELD more than the others....)

I watched the game for a second time. I thought Louis and Coates looked good blocking. I am hoping Louis was nervous last week and the jitters are gone so he can start catching the ball.

Just one more receiver comment. I hope DC is hammering them this week to NOT quit on routes. Both Louis and Coates quit running full speed several times when they were targeted. I think they could have caught a few of the overthrows.

Unless someone can catch 50+ passes I don't think they are qualified as a "Top" receiver. We really have receiving by committee at this point. I haven't seen anything special in our wr's since a long time ago.

Agree that this group will be a receiving by committee group until Williams arrives. I just want them to be consistent with catching and route running. I don't think there is a "go to guy" in the group but it would help if NM had a couple guys he knew that are sure handed in key game situations(need a first down, need 5-10 yards). When we need a catch he has a couple of guys he has a lot of confidence in that they will catch the ball. I think those guys will be Bray and Coates.

Apologies

Deleted my "other" vote after I reread the OP (missed the "Who is most likely to emerge as AU's top WR?" underline mine)

Not sure the "Go-To" will be "wide"

I think it's highly likely that we will have a pair of receivers who shoulder most of the load, a la Darvin Adams and Terrell Zachery. I chose Sammie Coates for this poll, but my guess for the second receiver would be either Quan Bray or Ricardo Louis.

I think it's highly likely that we will have a pair of receivers who shoulder most of the load, a la Darvin Adams and Terrell Zachery. I chose Sammie Coates for this poll, but my guess for the second receiver would be either Quan Bray or Ricardo Louis.

I did not keep count but as I said in another thread, Nick tried to hit CJ more than once. I also noticed Uzomah was open a few other times. I know that technically he is noticed as a tight end but he was out wide a lot more than I thought he would be with Fulse on the field at the same time. He is not on the list(CJ), but I throw Sammie Coates in as Nicks primary target with CJ a close second.

Archived